Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pick your favorite TRX40 motherboard

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick your favorite TRX40 motherboard

Anyone out there going to build a new threadripper system? What's your favorite TRX40 flagship board?

More info here: https://www.amd.com/en/chipsets/str40

Click image for larger version

Name:	AMD.PNG
Views:	43
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	2678
    ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme
    0%
    Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME
    42.86%
    MSI Creator TRX40
    14.29%
    ASRock TRX40 Taichi
    42.86%

MSI Creator for me if I was to upgrade. Asus was a really poor show support wise for the Zenith range, not touching that HEDT product again with a barge pole sorry to say. I currently have the MSI Meg Creation X399 and love it ! I cannot speak for ASRock as I have not owned any of their boards for a long while, nor Gigabyte. Nothing against them, just went for other brands.
    Welcome to EHW
    Site Guide & Features
    Check out the EHW Facebook & Twitter
    Site projects supported by your donations

Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account

Comment

Ok, I have a pretty big bias tbh, but I like the Taichi for many reasons...
      • Regular ATX when all the others are EATX or bigger
      • 16 Phase VRM with 90A stages...stronger VRM than all the others from what I've seen
      • It's likely going to be the cheapest, by a large margin, if history is any indicator
      • Memory overclocking will be STRONG

Comment

Originally posted by mllrkllr88 View Post
        Ok, I have a pretty big bias tbh, but I like the Taichi for many reasons...
        • Regular ATX when all the others are EATX or bigger
        • 16 Phase VRM with 90A stages...stronger VRM than all the others from what I've seen
        • It's likely going to be the cheapest, by a large margin, if history is any indicator
        • Memory overclocking will be STRONG
        I actually went for the MSI Meg at the time due to its strong VRM setup as I knew I would OC my 2990WX. Does a sterling job.

Not having really looked at the Asrock boards I did not realise they managed to fit all that kit on the ATX standard. That is rather impressive !

Will give Asrock more of a consideration next time. I hear their BIOS support is good too.
        Welcome to EHW
        Site Guide & Features

Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account

Comment

Yeah my opinions on this board not impartial as I already have it...but it's a sweet board that most people can appreciate First LN2 testing going down later today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	78198781_746287092513454_7520913637137973248_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.4 KB ID:	2743 Click image for larger version  Name:	76776560_746287145846782_399751254986719232_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	597.7 KB ID:	2744
          Attached Files
          Last edited by mllrkllr88; 23-11-2019, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Ohhh nice. Give it a run for its money bud. Man, gotta love those pots !, Loving the RAM one.
            Welcome to EHW
            Site Guide & Features

Comment

Thanks for the votes guys, keep them coming! Asus is getting no love, I am surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by mllrkllr88 View Post
                Thanks for the votes guys, keep them coming! Asus is getting no love, I am surprised.
                mllrkllr88

Considering the poor show from Asus the first and second round (especially the first round) with the Zenith line on the TR platform, I am not too surprised. The shame was that for the 1st gen TR's the ROG Zenith was a fantastic piece of hardware packed full of features and capabilities but the BIOS bugs let it down hugely. The memory and Nvme bugs were awful. OC stability was also an issue but we also put that down to the memory training bugs the board had. Seemingly every time they released a ''Fixed'' BIOS, something else would be broken. Famously the NVMe RAID got killed off in a new BIOS of theirs which did not do anyone any favors who already had an NVMe RAID array running, they either could not upgrade or did and found no more RAID array, oh dear !

Furthermore, having more than one utility that accessed the board to get statistical information such as AIDA64 as an example at any one time would yield in incorrect readings. The support was appalling from Asus and the only guy around to help was elmor, who did use to work with Asus but no longer. If it was not for him acting as a link between the community an Asus I would bet my life the BIOS would be worse off for it. Shame really as the company has a fantastic records for motherboards but they really dropped the ball on that product. You cannot even blame AMD as other companies such as GigaByte and Asrock were managing just fine.

The Zenith ROG was a premium board with a premium price, I paid over £500 for it new and it was more expensive than any other board but I thought ''Its Asus'' so it was worth throwing money at right ? Wrong.

Never had an issue with them on the Intel platform. Possibly my bad AMD experience is a one off...but still left a bad taste.

In any case I actually created a rant thread on it HERE.
                Welcome to EHW
                Site Guide & Features

Comment

Man, it's kind of funny how just a few years ago ASRock was fairly frowned upon and Asus was the go-to for high end stuff, at least in the motherboard world. How times have changed.
                  AMD Ryzen R5 1600X | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming K5 | 2x EVGA 1070 Ti FTW2 | 4x8 GB GSkill 3200 MHz Trident Z RGB | WD Blue NVME 500 GB SSD | 2x WD Black 3 TB HDD | Corsair Air 540 | Windows 10 Pro | 2x BenQ GW2765 1440p 27" | Oculus Rift | Vortex Tab90 | Logitech G502

Comment

Originally posted by Supercrumpet View Post
                    Man, it's kind of funny how just a few years ago ASRock was fairly frowned upon and Asus was the go-to for high end stuff, at least in the motherboard world. How times have changed.
                    Yeah things can change very quickly. Over the last couple of years I have heard very good things about Asrock and on the flip side I keep hearing complaints from the Asus side of things. On my next build (little while away) I will have to give Asrock a serious look.
                    Welcome to EHW
                    Site Guide & Features

Comment

Working...
                    X