Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tight Fit! Standalone ESXi server

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually those are different, I do like those GTZ!

Those drives! <drool> Yeah I'm sure before I know it I'll be needing those. Mr. Wallet strictly objects right now. lol

Collapse

Comment

Certainly nice storage drives but with them being SMR, the speed would take a hit I believe.
      Signature
      Welcome to EHW
      Site Guide & Features
      Follow EHW On Facebook & Twitter
      Site projects supported by your donations

Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account
      CPU
      AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16 Core/32 Thread) @ 4.4Ghz All Core (1.3v)
      Motherboard
      Asrock X570 Aqua (Run 783/999)
      GPU
      EVGA FTW3 Ultra 2080Ti (SLI)
      Memory
      32GB Gskill Trident Z @3600Mhz
      PSU
      EVGA 1600 Watt Supernova P2
      Storage
      1x 500GB Seagate Firecuda PCIe Gen4 (M.2)
      Storage
      1x 1TB Seagate Firecuda PCIe Gen4 (M.2)
      Cooling
      Custom WC
      Monitor
      Acer Predator X34 (Ultrawide)
      Case
      Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 V2
      Operating System
      Windows 10 Pro X64
      Collapse

Comment

Originally posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
        Certainly nice storage drives but with them being SMR, the speed would take a hit I believe.
        I had not really looked into SMR drives until now. It seems they are very different and although they look the same, they should not be used in the same way. They are best for write once, read many times scenarios and it seems that using these drives in a "standard workload" where there are frequent writes could result in errors...even crashing the O/S from what I read.

Yikes, cannot simply look at the capacity/price anymore, now you have to research underlying technology also. Some good info here.
        Collapse

Comment

Originally posted by Laithan View Post
          Originally posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
          I had not really looked into SMR drives until now. It seems they are very different and although they look the same, they should not be used in the same way. They are best for write once, read many times scenarios and it seems that using these drives in a "standard workload" where there are frequent writes could result in errors...even crashing the O/S from what I read.

Yikes, cannot simply look at the capacity/price anymore, now you have to research underlying technology also. Some good info here.
          Lots of people actually buy external hdd's as they are cheaper in order to simply rip out the OEM SMR Drives. For simple storage, these are fine but I hear people use these in NAS enclosures for example and I cannot think of anything worse personally. NAS's are generally 24/7 beasts and is something you can end up doing lots of reads and writes too, so I am not sure why people thing they are suitable for that use scenario.

Anytime I buy a new HDD, I scrutinize it a fair it, especially if they are for use in my NAS, but I only either use NAS drives or surveillance drives just due to their endurance.
          Signature
          Welcome to EHW
          Site Guide & Features
          Follow EHW On Facebook & Twitter
          Site projects supported by your donations

Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account
          CPU
          AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16 Core/32 Thread) @ 4.4Ghz All Core (1.3v)
          Motherboard
          Asrock X570 Aqua (Run 783/999)
          GPU
          EVGA FTW3 Ultra 2080Ti (SLI)
          Memory
          32GB Gskill Trident Z @3600Mhz
          PSU
          EVGA 1600 Watt Supernova P2
          Storage
          1x 500GB Seagate Firecuda PCIe Gen4 (M.2)
          Storage
          1x 1TB Seagate Firecuda PCIe Gen4 (M.2)
          Cooling
          Custom WC
          Monitor
          Acer Predator X34 (Ultrawide)
          Case
          Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 V2
          Operating System
          Windows 10 Pro X64
          Collapse

Comment