Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workstation-Desktop Hybrid "Orca"

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys...I have one MSI X399 Pro Carbon as my sole X399 "reserve", plus my soho office has both an Asus X99-E-WS and Asus X79-E WS humming away at daily tasks. PLX is onboard w/ at least the Asus E WS mobos
    Collapse

Comment

PLX on the motherboard won't necessarily help. I know that there were some modded x79 BIOS floating around that had PCIe bifurcation added. I'm not sure if ASUS ever enabled it in any of the official BIOS. PCIe bifurcation is common on server boards, but is really only common on X299, X399, and trx40 consumer boards. ASRock is really the best at this, and I was able to get a modded BIOS direct from ASRock support to allow me to run 4 GPUs plus an HBA and a NIC without using ridiculously expensive active PCIe splitters. About 2 months after ASRock sent me the modded BIOS, they added the various bifurcation configurations to the official BIOS.

I'm pretty sure that the X99-E-WS doesn't support PCIe bifurcation, and if you use the passive M.2 expander card in that board, only the first NVMe drive will show up.
      Last edited by tictoc; 21-05-2020, 11:19 PM.
      Signature
      CPU
      Threadripper 3960X
      Motherboard
      ASRock TRX40 Creator
      GPU
      Radeon VII x3, Radeon 5700XT
      Memory
      128 GB GSKill Ripjaws V
      Storage
      ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB, ADATA SX8200NP 480GB, SanDisk Extreme 480GB, SanDisk 120GB
      PSU
      EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
      Cooling
      Watercoool Heatkiller IV CPU block, EK-Vector GPU blocks, 5x XSPC EX/RX360 Rads, Dual D5 Pumps
      Keyboard
      Filco Majestouch 2 TKL
      Mouse
      Logitech MX Master
      Case
      Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
      Operating System
      Arch Linux
      Collapse

Comment

...well, a project for a rainy weekend ;-) In any case, the MSI X399 Creation, with which the Aoero 4-slot M.2 Xpander card came, obviously supports it, at least if I'm willing to give up some lanes of the secondary GPU. On the other hand, the Asus X99-E WS (pic / brief description below) comes not only with 4x PCIe 3.0 x16, but also with native M.2 NVME onboard...besides, unlike the MSI X399 Creation build (and the X79-E WS also in use), it currently doesn't have SLI GPUs installed anyway.

On a related note, before I take the plunge, I should confirm that new 2TB M.2 NVME PCIe 4.0 drives will work in the (PCIe 3.0) MSI Aero Xpander, albeit with the drives in PCIe 3.0 mode only
        Collapse

Comment

Working...
        X