Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPU clock is much higher than advertised clock

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU clock is much higher than advertised clock

So as per the only other thread, I bought a 2070 Super... which according to this page has a "boost clock" of 1785mhz

Link

It's not a typo as all other sites seem to say the same.

However, in games I see GPU clock as high as 1965mhz... which is a huge amount more. I guess I don't understand graphics cards, but could someone explain why this happens, or for what reason?

That's actually not a bad thing - it's good thing. GPU Boost 3.0 will boost as high as the voltage, power limit and cooling will allow it to. This is much more prevalent with AIB cards which generally have beefier cooling and power delivery.

On some reviews they got above 1900Mhz as well:
    Gigabyte RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 8G Review | KitGuru - Part 15
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join us for the ExtremeHW Podcast

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
      That's actually not a bad thing - it's good thing. GPU Boost 3.0 will boost as high as the voltage, power limit and cooling will allow it to. This is much more prevalent with AIB cards which generally have beefier cooling and power delivery.

On some reviews they got above 1900Mhz as well:
      Gigabyte RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 8G Review | KitGuru - Part 15
      Nice one, thanks. Yeah, apparently it's boost.

Seems to be hitting a power limit (as indicated by MSI AB), as opposed to temp limit !

Comment

Yeah GPU Boost 3.0 IS really great, though it it is very sensitive to temps, so the cooler you keep the card the more consistently it can boost !
        Welcome to EHW
        Site Guide & Features
        Check out the EHW Facebook & Twitter
        Site projects supported by your donations

Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account

Comment

GPU Boost is good for people who can't/don't want to OC but for anyone who OCs manually it's more of a PITA than anything.

Wish we could still mod the BIOS like on 900 series and older cards to remove it, there's no reason why my card should be able to get 1.087v when under 60c but then only be able to have 1.068v at 61c.

I wanna control my OC

Comment

Originally posted by The Pook View Post
            GPU Boost is good for people who can't/don't want to OC but for anyone who OCs manually it's more of a PITA than anything.

Wish we could still mod the BIOS like on 900 series and older cards to remove it, there's no reason why my card should be able to get 1.087v when under 60c but then only be able to have 1.068v at 61c.

I wanna control my OC
            I agree, that is the only complaint I have. I feel GPU boost is a little too sensitive, such a small change can really bomb your voltage, something I found out when OC'ing my 2080Ti's
            Welcome to EHW
            Site Guide & Features

Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account

Comment

Slightly different issue, I have noticed that the card isn't downclocking at idle. So even on desktop, it sits at 1605Mhz/1750Mhz (core/mem) with no utilisation. I am using two monitors, a basic 1080p 60hz IPS and 1440p 155hz TN.

Anyone know why this may be?

Comment

Okay, managed to figure that one out myself. Apparently related to not having adaptive or optimal power mode selected.

However, it seems you need to reboot to have it take effect which Nvidia software doesn't tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by 98uk View Post
                  Okay, managed to figure that one out myself. Apparently related to not having adaptive or optimal power mode selected.

However, it seems you need to reboot to have it take effect which Nvidia software doesn't tell you.
                  Odd..I thought it applied immediately. That being said..things do change and a reboot is generally best practice.
                  Welcome to EHW
                  Site Guide & Features

Comment

I wanna control my OC
                    I agree... I still have both my 980Ti's under water +MOD BIOS. After almost 4 years of running both my GPUs @ 1.293v under boost I have yet to have ANY issues whatsoever related to BIOS modification especially degradation. IMO there's no reason to encrypt and sign the BIOS other than to keep us from maximizing the performance that the architecture can provide (and to maximize value for $ spent on an overpriced GPU)...

I was really hoping AMD wouldn't follow suit but they did also...

Comment

Originally posted by Laithan View Post

I agree... I still have both my 980Ti's under water +MOD BIOS. After almost 4 years of running both my GPUs @ 1.293v under boost I have yet to have ANY issues whatsoever related to BIOS modification especially degradation. IMO there's no reason to encrypt and sign the BIOS other than to keep us from maximizing the performance that the architecture can provide (and to maximize value for $ spent on an overpriced GPU)...

I was really hoping AMD wouldn't follow suit but they did also...

I haven't owned an AMD card in my main rig in ages, didn't even know they killed it off too.

Surprised OCing has been a thing for as long as it has, I miss when you used to be able to unlock pipelines on your $150 X800 GTO to turn it into a $400 X850 GT.

Comment

I haven't owned an AMD card in my main rig in ages, didn't even know they killed it off too.

Surprised OCing has been a thing for as long as it has, I miss when you used to be able to unlock pipelines on your $150 X800 GTO to turn it into a $400 X850 GT.
                        Those were fantastic days. No BIOS signing, unlockable pipelines/shaders. Those were the days where you got the best bang for your buck.

In fact I remember ATI back then not really caring about the fact you could purchase a lower model card and turning it into a high end for free. I enjoyed that relaxed philosophy. I guess we have CEO of ATI (Pat Hassey) at the time to thank.

Alas, someone noticed this lax philosophy was eating into profit margins
                        Welcome to EHW
                        Site Guide & Features

Comment

Working...
                        X