Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Playstation 25th Anniversary (Roundup)

ENTERPRISE

PS1.thumb.jpg.9b3823cdd96ae3c8f9896afcaa76a774.jpg

Hey guys,

So I thought I would do a mini roundup of some of the more interesting topics relating to the PS1 on its 25th Anniversary. I think we can all recall a golden age with the PS1, or PSX as some like to call it. It for me was a golden age of gaming. Will never forget the hours spent on Final Fantasy & Metal Gear Solid series. Share your memories with us in this thread !

December 3rd, 1994, Sony entered the video game industry — and it hasn’t been the same since.

Twenty-five years ago, the original PlayStation ushered in the era of 3D gaming on a home console. Over that period, the company has consistently changed things up with new advancements, whether that’s the DVD storage of the PS2 or the influential twin-stick design of the DualShock controller. It’s hard to argue today that the video game industry isn’t better with Sony in it.

The company’s influence now spans four generations of hardware — alongside a pair of portable spinoffs — and some of the biggest modern franchises in video games. That includes the likes of Uncharted, God of War, Gran Turismo, and a host of indie games and innovative titles like Shadow of the Colossus.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/3/2...-ps2-25th-sony

How the PlayStation’s DualShock shaped modern controllers

If you were told to draw a video game controller, what would it look like? Odds are, you’d scribble a rectangle with two downward wings for your palms to grip, a D-pad, four face buttons, shoulder triggers, and a pair of thumbsticks. In other words, you’d draw a PlayStation controller. Sony didn’t invent the controller, but it did essentially invent modern controller design, shaping the look and ergonomics of how we’ve interacted with games for over two decades.

There’s plenty of credit to award when it comes to video game controller design. Nintendo pioneered the core button layout with the SNES (D-pad on one side, face buttons on the other), and both Nintendo and Sega beat Sony to shipping an analog thumbstick for their consoles. But ultimately, it’s Sony’s innovations and ideas that would go on to become the elemental base of what we think of as a “video game controller.�

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/2/2...th-anniversary

Remember how simple consoles used to be with this original PlayStation teardown

The original PlayStation is turning 25 years old, and to celebrate, iFixit is turning its screwdrivers and plastic pry bars to the retro console in one of its signature teardowns. There aren’t too many surprises hiding inside the 25-year-old device, but the teardown is still neat for a couple of reasons.

First off, it’s wild to see just how much more advanced our current consoles are compared to these earlier models. As iFixit points out, the standard, non-Pro PlayStation 4 has 50 times the processing power and 4,000 times more RAM than the original PlayStation — to the point that the original doesn’t even need a fan to cool down the internals.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...nents-cd-drive

PS1 Teardown, Fun Facts & Original Specs

Originally developed as part of a joint venture between Sony and Nintendo to make a CD-equipped SNES console, PlayStation is now one of the world’s most recognized brands. In honor of its 25th anniversary, we got our hands on the unit that started it all, the Japan-only SCPH-1000 model. And we’re celebrating the only way we know how—time to tear it down!

Source: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Sony...e%20one%20down

How to play classic PlayStation games in 2019

The original PlayStation was Sony’s first home console, but it came out swinging with countless classic games released during its lifespan. From well-known titles like Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil, Crash Bandicoot, and Metal Gear Solid to slightly more obscure cult hits like Parasite Eve and Legend of Dragoon, the PS1 was where you went for a vast, eclectic library of games that you couldn’t find anywhere else.

To celebrate the device’s 25th anniversary, it’s time to dust off a few of these games. Thankfully, you don’t have to buy original PlayStation hardware to play the classics below. The discs will also work in a PS3, which is Sony’s only console that’s compatible with all PS1 games. Almost all of them have digital copies available that can run on the PS Vita and PSP, too, if you still have one of those. When applicable, I’ll also mention if there is a modern platform where each game is available. (I’m also not going to suggest picking up the PS Classic mini console unless it’s the most financially feasible option. As my colleague Andrew Webster discovered, it’s not the most loving tribute to the classic console.)

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/3/2...d-how-to-ffvii

25 years of PlayStation – the 10 games that defined the PS1

The PlayStation brand is 25 years old today, as GameCentral celebrates the 10 games that cemented the PS1’s success on the world stage. On Saturday, 3 December 1994 the first ever PlayStation video games console was sold in Japan. As was the way back then it didn’t appear in the West until almost a year later, launching in America on 9 September 1995 and in Europe on 29 September. But by the time it did become available in the UK it was already obvious that it was set to change the face of video games forever. There’s not the slightest hint of hyperbole in that statement. Purely on a technical level, there’ll never be a bigger jump than from the 2D graphics of the Mega Drive and SNES to the 3D visuals of the PlayStation 1 generation (not until we’re plugging holodecks into our head, anyway). But while the Nintendo 64 was the most powerful console of the generation Sony made an even more important innovation, in terms of the types of games it produced and how it promoted them.

Source: https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/03/25-years-playstation-10-games-define-ps1-11258338/

Edited by ENTERPRISE

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Playing FFVII for the first time after watching so many others play on Playstation and PC. There were huge groups of us that would gather in the room of the one or two guys that had a Playstation in their room.

I was actually a Playstation gamer before I even considered playing games on the PC. As with anything console, I enjoyed the simplicity of it back in the day, throw in a disc and off you go. No online, No Fee's just play. Ohhhh the good days.

I also have to agree with the below top 10 games that made the Playstation

The PlayStation brand is 25 years old today, as GameCentral celebrates the 10 games that cemented the PS1’s success on the world stage. On Saturday, 3 December 1994 the first ever PlayStation video games console was sold in Japan. As was the way back then it didn’t appear in the West until almost a year later, launching in America on 9 September 1995 and in Europe on 29 September. But by the time it did become available in the UK it was already obvious that it was set to change the face of video games forever. There’s not the slightest hint of hyperbole in that statement. Purely on a technical level, there’ll never be a bigger jump than from the 2D graphics of the Mega Drive and SNES to the 3D visuals of the PlayStation 1 generation (not until we’re plugging holodecks into our head, anyway). But while the Nintendo 64 was the most powerful console of the generation Sony made an even more important innovation, in terms of the types of games it produced and how it promoted them.

Source: https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/03/25-years-playstation-10-games-define-ps1-11258338/

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Pretty crazy to think that the Playstation is 25 years old, I still remember owning a PS1 and playing a ton of Tekken on it with my friends. Or playing Gran Turismo with my dad.

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: Asus X670E Hero (pls EVGA make an AMD mobo)
RAM: G.Skill 64GB @ 6000Mhz
GPU: RTX 4090 Strix OC
SSD/NVME: 2x SN850X 4TB | 1x 970 Pro 0.5TB
MONITOR: Something OLED, 120hz and 42-48"
WC RADIATOR: MO-RA3 420 | HeatKiller 360S
WC CPU BLOCK: Heatkiller IV Pro
Full Rig Info

Owned

AUDIO: Topping DX7 Pro
AUDIO 2: Sennheiser HD800S
AUDIO 3: Sennheiser HD650
AUDIO 4: Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC
AUDIO 5: Edifier RT1700BT
AUDIO 6: Custom XLR balanced cables
Full Rig Info

CA$40000

Owned

CPU: F22C | 257hp 251nm
CPU COOLER: K&N FIPK Intake | AEM filter
GPU: Yokohama AD08R 255/40r17
CPU COOLER 2: Titan 7 R-10s 17x9.5+51
AUDIO: Alpine UTE73BT + Modifry DCI
MOTHERBOARD: Öhlins Road & Track DFV Coilovers
OPERATING SYSTEM: Hondata
CASE: Recaro Pole Position
Full Rig Info

Pretty crazy to think that the Playstation is 25 years old, I still remember owning a PS1 and playing a ton of Tekken on it with my friends. Or playing Gran Turismo with my dad.

Tekken was amazing. I just played as Law and did the bicycle kick until my opponent either died or the player stopped playing with me because they got annoyed at me haha. Gran Turismo was a great game, but I never really got on with it as I prefer arcade racers.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

• 1 month later...

Wow.. this thread hit me in the gut too. Feels like yesterday when I was jealous of my brother for getting a PSX for christmas. He had that first release version that would barely be able to read discs unless you flipped the console upside down lol. I'm assuming that was Christmas of 1995 so not quite 25 years but wow.. where did that time go.

Lots of time playing the FF games, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and my favorite party game ...pong...

194109-pong-the-next-level-playstation-front-cover.thumb.jpg.07bc94810f081f0b3712376914d44327.jpg

This was a super good remake.. at least I thought it was circa 1999

Resident evil spent many hours in my PS1 lol. Resident evil 2 was my favourite. May even get the remake on PC to see how it tallies up. My PS1 was a champ for yours but eventually had to put it on its side to get it to read discs haha

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info