Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Microsoft Drops More Xbox Series X Tech Specs: Zen 2 + RDNA 2, 12 TFLOPs GPU, HDMI 2.1, & a Custom SSD

Andrew

First and foremost, Microsoft is now confirming that the console’s APU is using AMD’s RDNA 2 architecture for the integrated GPU. Information about this architecture is still limited, but AMD previously disclosed that RDNA 2 would include hardware ray tracing functionality – something not present in RDNA (1) – and Microsoft in turn will be tapping this for their next game console. Microsoft, of course, already has significant experience with hardware ray tracing thanks to DirectX’s own ray tracing functionality (DXR), so the company will be able to hit the ground running here, albeit with AMD hardware for the first time.

Source

I'm most excited for the ray tracing. The PS5 is meant to have ray tracing as well, a first party Sony developer, Polyphony digital teased real time ray tracing for Gran Turismo Sport a few months ago, even though the PS4 doesn't have the hardware to support real time ray tracing. I'm not sure if Sony have confirmed whether or not the PS5 will support it. If it does, it will just prove that the technology won't end up being a gimmick that goes away after a few years like PhysX was.

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

I honestly cannot see PS5 not having hardware accelerated Ray Tracing. I mean they are also using an AMD chip for their console and for the most part the next gen consoles from a hardware point of view are fairly similar. If and a big IF Sony decided not to opt for Ray Tracing then that is a big mistake as we all know that the bandwagon is headed toward that technology.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Known & suspected hardware of ps5 taken from --> https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps5-specs-features-ssd-ray-tracing-cpu-gpu-6300#section-1

• CPU - the PS5 CPU will be an AMD chip based on Ryzen. 8x cores; 7nm Zen 2.
  • GPU and ray tracing - the PS5 GPU will be a custom AMD Navi GPU (possibly 36 custom Navi compute units at 2000MHz), that supports ray tracing at a hardware level (here's Digital Foundry on the current state of ray tracing tech if you're looking for more on that).
  • Audio - the PS will have 3D Audio that Mark Cerny believes will be "dramatically different" to PS4 audio.
  • Storage - as with the new Xbox, the PS5 will have an SSD (solid state drive). Sony says its version uses the new PCle 4.0 connection. Cerny gave the example of a 0.8 second loading time, compared to 15 seconds, when tested on Marvel's Spider-Man. Digital Foundry believes it could be GDDR6 at 448GB/s (possibly 512GB/s).
  • Resolution support - the PS5 will have up to 8K support, presumably including full 4k.
  • 4k Blu-ray Player - will be available, with the PS5 reading 100GB optical discs.

• Thanks 1

Well its no doubt that this gen the PlayStation is going to be a formidable machine. I think this gen the consoles have really taken a much larger leap forward.

However I would imagine 8K is playback only, Gameplay is not going to be at an acceptable frame rate IMHO.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Well its no doubt that this gen the PlayStation is going to be a formidable machine. I think this gen the consoles have really taken a much larger leap forward.

However I would imagine 8K is playback only, Gameplay is not going to be at an acceptable frame rate IMHO.

Yeah,I think the 8k will be for future proofing for streaming to make it a reliable Home theater system also. Not like there's a LOT of demand even for the 4k content even now except some of the new original series like from amazon ect., or some games.Even then most people will probably go for a lower resolution because they're hooked to their 60" tv and it can't handle gaming in 4k. (unless they spend a fortune on a new tv when they get the new system...):eat_popcom: will be interesting.

Yeah,I think the 8k will be for future proofing for streaming to make it a reliable Home theater system also. Not like there's a LOT of demand even for the 4k content even now except some of the new original series like from amazon ect., or some games.Even then most people will probably go for a lower resolution because they're hooked to their 60" tv and it can't handle gaming in 4k. (unless they spend a fortune on a new tv when they get the new system...):eat_popcom: will be interesting.

I am of the opinion that 4K will only be mass adopted as ''the norm'' after the PS5 is EOL. Mass adoption takes a while, granted 4K is touted everywhere you turn but if you look at the percentage of people digesting media via 4K, it is still small in comparison to say 1080P+. Unless you are more of an enthusiast when it comes to AV kit (or just a tech head like us lot) most people are rather content with their Full HD TV sets.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info