Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beat those Covid19 blues !

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 6 (2 members and 4 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm on spring break so I'm just sitting around a bunch. Classes are online for the rest of the semester and campus is closed for the next few weeks, at least. I live off campus and I don't trust the fact that nobody here has already been infected, so I'm playing it safe and not going home because I don't dare risk taking it home to my parents (since they live in a small town that usually keeps to itself).

This also means FSAE has been put on hold, which is pretty life-shattering for most people on the team. But I won't blabber about that, not the point of the thread.

I really like the routine idea. I've been thinking I'll do the same next week when we have class again, and your post reinforces that. Let's see if I can actually keep it up. Living alone makes motivating myself to have that sort of independent structure hard sometimes.
    Signature
    CPU
    [AMD] Ryzen 5 1600X @ 3.9 GHz
    Motherboard
    [Gigabyte] X370 Gaming K5
    GPU
    [EVGA] GTX 1070 Ti @ 2025 MHz x2
    Memory
    [G.Skill] Trident Z RGB 4x8 GB 3200 MHz
    Storage
    [WD] Blue NVME 500 GB SSD
    Storage
    [WD] Black 3 TB HDD x2
    PSU
    [Seasonic] Prime 1000 W Gold
    Cooling
    [NZXT] Kraken X52
    Keyboard
    [WASD] V2 w/ Cherry MX Green x GMK Nautilus
    Mouse
    [Logitech] G502
    Monitor
    [BenQ] GW2765HT 27
    Monitor
    [Oculus] Rift
    Case
    [Corsair] Air 540
    Operating System
    [Microsoft] Windows 10 Pro
    Collapse

Comment

Originally posted by Supercrumpet View Post
      I'm on spring break so I'm just sitting around a bunch. Classes are online for the rest of the semester and campus is closed for the next few weeks, at least. I live off campus and I don't trust the fact that nobody here has already been infected, so I'm playing it safe and not going home because I don't dare risk taking it home to my parents (since they live in a small town that usually keeps to itself).

This also means FSAE has been put on hold, which is pretty life-shattering for most people on the team. But I won't blabber about that, not the point of the thread.

I really like the routine idea. I've been thinking I'll do the same next week when we have class again, and your post reinforces that. Let's see if I can actually keep it up. Living alone makes motivating myself to have that sort of independent structure hard sometimes.
      Well it will pay to stay home and out of the way. The government have shut things down here so I will be working from home....however that being said I am so wanting to get Doom Eternal, looks awesome and I loved Doom 2016. The only thing is I am not sure I can justify the price tag on it haha.
      Signature
      Welcome to EHW
      Site Guide & Features
      Follow EHW On Facebook & Twitter
      Site projects supported by your donations

Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account
      CPU
      AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16 Core/32 Thread) @ 4.4Ghz All Core (1.3v)
      Motherboard
      Asrock X570 Aqua (Run 783/999)
      GPU
      EVGA FTW3 Ultra 2080Ti (SLI)
      Memory
      32GB Gskill Trident Z @3600Mhz
      PSU
      EVGA 1600 Watt Supernova P2
      Storage
      1x 500GB Seagate Firecuda PCIe Gen4 (M.2)
      Storage
      1x 1TB Seagate Firecuda PCIe Gen4 (M.2)
      Cooling
      Custom WC
      Monitor
      Acer Predator X34 (Ultrawide)
      Case
      Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 V2
      Operating System
      Windows 10 Pro X64
      Collapse

Comment

Getting used to working from home is a challenge for people that have never done it before. I'll second the getting in a routine suggestion. Doing everything that you would normally do, waking up to an alarm at your usual time, showering, eating breakfast, and getting dressed for work, or whatever your normal schedule entails, will really help to structure the day, and get started on the right track.

During the lock-down, work is still work for me, with the added bonus of a short staff and long hours, since we are considered critical infrastructure.

School is a bit of a mess. Restricted lab access and most of the compute resources are prioritizing Covid19 related work. I am currently running a number of different projects for other graduate and post-doc students on my personal gear. That has been an interesting challenge and change of pace.

Free time is spent mostly outdoors, but I am lucky since my back yard is many square miles of public land. Tomorrow is a full day off, so I'll probably go snowshoeing, shoot the bow, and maybe fire off a few rounds.

Snapshot from my phone for everyone that is stuck inside in the city.

Signature
        CPU
        Threadripper 3960X
        Motherboard
        ASRock TRX40 Creator
        GPU
        Radeon VII x3, Radeon 5700XT
        Memory
        128 GB GSKill Ripjaws V
        Storage
        ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB, ADATA SX8200NP 480GB, SanDisk Extreme 480GB, SanDisk 120GB
        PSU
        EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
        Cooling
        Watercoool Heatkiller IV CPU block, EK-Vector GPU blocks, 5x XSPC EX/RX360 Rads, Dual D5 Pumps
        Keyboard
        Filco Majestouch 2 TKL
        Mouse
        Logitech MX Master
        Case
        Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
        Operating System
        Arch Linux
        Collapse

Comment

Originally posted by tictoc View Post
          Getting used to working from home is a challenge for people that have never done it before. I'll second the getting in a routine suggestion. Doing everything that you would normally do, waking up to an alarm at your usual time, showering, eating breakfast, and getting dressed for work, or whatever your normal schedule entails, will really help to structure the day, and get started on the right track.

During the lock-down, work is still work for me, with the added bonus of a short staff and long hours, since we are considered critical infrastructure.

School is a bit of a mess. Restricted lab access and most of the compute resources are prioritizing Covid19 related work. I am currently running a number of different projects for other graduate and post-doc students on my personal gear. That has been an interesting challenge and change of pace.

Free time is spent mostly outdoors, but I am lucky since my back yard is many square miles of public land. Tomorrow is a full day off, so I'll probably go snowshoeing, shoot the bow, and maybe fire off a few rounds.

Snapshot from my phone for everyone that is stuck inside in the city.
          I hear you. Luckily I have several jobs and work two of those from home so its not too difficult for me but the day job does entail more routing, so that has to be enforced when working at home during lockdown too. It is very easy to fall out of routine if you are not careful, so I just do the same things when getting ready for work but instead of commuting to the office I just walk over to my PC lol. Looks like you have a little bit of snow going on there, where about are you situated ?

My free time is still spent mainly in front of the PC as sad as that may sound, either with catching up with the other jobs or working on this site. I do make time to go for walks etc and go out, especially now when we are all stuck indoors.

Today however I am going to do a little benching to add some scores to our HWBOT team etc now that I have some free time to do so.
          Signature
          Welcome to EHW
          Site Guide & Features

Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account
          CPU
          Motherboard
          GPU
          Memory
          PSU
          Storage
          Storage
          Cooling
          Custom WC
          Monitor
          Case
          Operating System
          Windows 10 Pro X64
          Collapse

Comment

lol where is all that snow? Yesterday it was 86 degrees F and I took the kids to swim in a secluded area of the Escatawpa. Ended up with mild sun burn
            CPU
            Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm)
            Cooling
            TCP-612
            Motherboard
            X470 Pro Carbon
            Memory
            G. Skill RIPJAWSV (Hynix D 17nm)
            GPU
            Vega 56
            Storage
            Silicon Power A80 1TB NVMe
            PSU
            SUPERNOVA G3 750w (LEADEX II)
            Case
            HAF XB
            Operating System
            Windows 10 Pro 64
            Collapse

Comment

Snow is in Colorado. 28" last Thursday, and another 16" this past Friday. It was super windy yesterday, so I was camped out in the house most of the day.
              Signature
              CPU
              Threadripper 3960X
              Motherboard
              ASRock TRX40 Creator
              GPU
              Radeon VII x3, Radeon 5700XT
              Memory
              128 GB GSKill Ripjaws V
              Storage
              ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB, ADATA SX8200NP 480GB, SanDisk Extreme 480GB, SanDisk 120GB
              PSU
              EVGA Supernova 1300 G2, EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
              Cooling
              Watercoool Heatkiller IV CPU block, EK-Vector GPU blocks, 5x XSPC EX/RX360 Rads, Dual D5 Pumps
              Keyboard
              Filco Majestouch 2 TKL
              Mouse
              Logitech MX Master
              Case
              Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
              Operating System
              Arch Linux
              Collapse

Comment

Originally posted by tictoc View Post
                Snow is in Colorado. 28" last Thursday, and another 16" this past Friday. It was super windy yesterday, so I was camped out in the house most of the day.
                A little off topic but I have to ask, what do you do ? I just noticed your system specs and noticed the 128GB RAM lol.
                Signature
                Welcome to EHW
                Site Guide & Features

CPU
                Motherboard
                GPU
                Memory
                PSU
                Storage
                Storage
                Cooling
                Custom WC
                Monitor
                Case
                Operating System
                Windows 10 Pro X64
                Collapse

Comment