Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

the pfense club

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simmons View Post
    The big take away is flexibility. pfSense is completely opensource, and has a lot of community add-on packages. These range from proxies, DNS, VPN server, multi-VLAN routing, boundary ad blocking, or whatever else you want to throw at it. Plus, it's fun to actually build out a router with your own hardware, or repurpose old hardware that you have stashed in the closet.
    For me the best thing about it is the Ad/script blocking that you can do with it from what I hear (have not played with it) but I have had custom firmware (AsusMerlin) on my Asus router at one point which allowed for some serious ad/script blocking which was fantastic as it was all blocked before it even got to your PC. VPN Server is also a massive bonus. In the future I will get a small PC to do this on and mess about with it.
    Signature
    Welcome to EHW
    Site Guide & Features
    Follow EHW On Facebook & Twitter
    Site projects supported by your donations

Enjoying the site with no Ads ? Helps us keep EHW Ad and bloat free by purchasing a Premium Account
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16 Core/32 Thread) @ 4.4Ghz All Core (1.3v)
    Motherboard
    Asrock X570 Aqua (Run 783/999)
    GPU
    EVGA FTW3 Ultra 2080Ti (SLI)
    Memory
    32GB Gskill Trident Z @3600Mhz
    PSU
    EVGA 1600 Watt Supernova P2
    Storage
    1x 500GB Seagate Firecuda PCIe Gen4 (M.2)
    Storage
    1x 1TB Seagate Firecuda PCIe Gen4 (M.2)
    Cooling
    Custom WC
    Monitor
    Acer Predator X34 (Ultrawide)
    Case
    Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 V2
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Collapse

Comment

Originally posted by ENTERPRISE View Post
      For me the best thing about it is the Ad/script blocking that you can do with it from what I hear (have not played with it) but I have had custom firmware (AsusMerlin) on my Asus router at one point which allowed for some serious ad/script blocking which was fantastic as it was all blocked before it even got to your PC. VPN Server is also a massive bonus. In the future I will get a small PC to do this on and mess about with it.
      Agreed with that. Personally I don't use the boundary ad blocking, but I have read mix results with it. Either, being extremely simple to setup and "it just works", to "this is so customizable, oh god someone please turn off the fire hose this is too mu-".

For me, the I use the OpenVPN server. At my old place, my folks were paying for comcast cable, and my brother would use the VPN connection to watch the "In-home" streaming service while at college. Also, it works great for remove management, especially when TeamViewer decides you are using the free service for a commercial use case, but they don't factor in the fact that one person really does own that many computers lol. (If you connect via local IP rather than public ID, TeamViewer doesn't complain).

The Multi-Vlan support would have been easier if I didn't decided to do a dot1q trunk to my switch, but whatever lol.
      Signature
      Case
      Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic
      Audio
      Sennheiser HD650, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80Ohm, Hifiman HE-4XX, Fostex TH-X00 PH, Sennheiser IE80s
      Audio
      JBL 4312, Bose 301 Series II
      Audio
      oDAC, Schiit Asgard II, Darkvoice 336se (Tuberolled)
      Monitor
      WSGF Ergotech 3+1 Monitor Stand
      Monitor
      BenQ XL2420TE, (x2) Asus VN248H-P, Asus VN247H-P
      Mouse
      Razer Deathadder Elite
      Keyboard
      Corsair K95, Cherry Browns, Translucent Keycap
      PSU
      SeaSonic X Series 1050 W 80+ Gold
      CPU
      Threadripper 1900x
      GPU
      EVGA Classified GTX 1080
      Storage
      (x2) Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
      Storage
      Intel 750 400GB U.2
      Storage
      Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB nVME
      Memory
      G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200
      Motherboard
      Asus PRIME X399-A
      Cooling
      XSPC Raystorm Neo STR4, Black Ice ​Nemesis L-​Series 280​ Stealth, Singularity Computers Protium Reservoir 100mm, PWM DDC Pump
      CPU
      Xeon E3-1240 V5
      Cooling
      Silverstone Argon AR09-115XS
      Motherboard
      Supermicro MBD-X11SM-F-O
      Memory
      8GB DDR4-2400 ECC
      Storage
      Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
      PSU
      Corsair SF450 80+ Gold