Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

RTX 3090 'cooked' thermal compound

While preparing my 3090FTW3 for its new waterblock I noticed that the thermal compound was completely dry. The thermal pads were fine, and the compound on the core itself was a bit hard but not dry.

Now I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that a thermal compound should not be this dried out. It broke here and there while removing the cooler and chunks fell down on the desk. I guess this is what you get if you run this type of card 24/7 for 8 months, though always below 70°C.

So I just wanted to share this with you all, I guess you can expect something like this with a powerful card. But after using it for only 8 months it might be a bit early for maintenance like changing the pads and compounds.

Edited by Bastiaan_NL
  • Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

While preparing my 3090FTW3 for its new waterblock I noticed that the thermal compound was completely dry. The thermal pads were fine, and the compound on the core itself was a bit hard but not dry.

Now I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that a thermal compound should not be this dried out. It broke here and there while removing the cooler and chunks fell down on the desk. I guess this is what you get if you run this type of card 24/7 for 8 months, though always below 70°C.

So I just wanted to share this with you all, I guess you can expect something like this with a powerful card. But after using it for only 8 months it might be a bit early for maintenance like changing the pads and compounds.

...for VRAM, VRM (not GPU die)...

...ThermalPutty.thumb.jpg.a2e6c4bcdbe4ebec111ee31247931a98.jpg

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

Yeah, I think it was something like that. I'll be using pads with the waterblock, only 1mm gap between the block and the components.

Owned

Full Rig Info

To this day I still don't know the proper clearances to change out the terrible foam they used. I keep perusing the EVGA forums and I can never get an exact answer. I have two 85x45x1.5mm and one 85x45x0.5mm thermalpads (12.8w/mk) -- any idea which thickness goes where? 

The closest thing I've found is this, but doesn't say which thickness is for what area:

360484708_3090FTW3UltraHybrid.thumb.JPG.af107958b57ed6e3cd03ab67c8c25949.JPG

23 hours ago, Odyn said:

To this day I still don't know the proper clearances to change out the terrible foam they used. I keep perusing the EVGA forums and I can never get an exact answer. I have two 85x45x1.5mm and one 85x45x0.5mm thermalpads (12.8w/mk) -- any idea which thickness goes where? 

The closest thing I've found is this, but doesn't say which thickness is for what area:

I can get a pretty accurate measurement for you, because the cooler still contains most of the thermal pads and putty and it is so dried out that it's more like concrete than foam. So it did not change thickness after removing the cooler.
I'll add the measurements to the picture you provided from the front of the GPU.

[EDIT]

Mad paint skills:

Measured at more than 5 points per location, pretty accurate caliper. I hope this helps 🙂 
1186775244_3090padsfr.jpg.0be905501dd176d561a717f4424130e0.jpg

Edited by Bastiaan_NL
  • Thanks 2

Owned

Full Rig Info