Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

FAH on Arch

nova4005

Is anyone here running FAH on Arch Linux. I see there is a package available in the AUR as well as a snap package and I was just curious how others have theirs set up. I am only wanting to fold on my 2080ti if that helps.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5900x
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B550 Mortar
RAM: G. Skill 32Gb 3600Mhz RGB
PSU: Corsair SFX 750 Platinum
GPU: EVGA 2080ti FTW
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP600 PCIE NVME 1tb
CPU COOLER: Corsair h150i Cappelix Elite
Full Rig Info

I am running F@H on Arch.  Right now I have a 980 and a 2080S folding on a headless machine, running a minimal Arch install.

The current AUR package has a few quirks to tighten up security, but it does work without issue.   SNAPs will never see the light of day on any of my machines, so I've always ran the package from the AUR.  I've had at least one machine folding on Arch for at least the last five years.

I actually put together a little guide for one of my teammates on how to setup a minimal headless Arch install for folding.  You can find that guide in a bit of an odd location: https://forums.extremehw.net/topic/1574-unable-to-add-attachment-to-pm-or-post-and-kicked-out-of-editor/?do=findComment&comment=18925

Edited by tictoc
  • Thanks 1

Thanks I will check that out.

Owned

Full Rig Info

@tictoc thanks again for the guide yesterday. I got the GPU set up and folding now on my main rig. I am going to stop it tomorrow and reapply the thermal paste to the cpu to see if that helps the temps, but for some reason when it starts folding my 5900x heats up to 70c and it's not even folding. I have not messed with it too much and this is the first AIO I have used so this may be normal for a 5900x, but I am going to try that and see if it helps.

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

10 hours ago, nova4005 said:

@tictoc thanks again for the guide yesterday. I got the GPU set up and folding now on my main rig. I am going to stop it tomorrow and reapply the thermal paste to the cpu to see if that helps the temps, but for some reason when it starts folding my 5900x heats up to 70c and it's not even folding. I have not messed with it too much and this is the first AIO I have used so this may be normal for a 5900x, but I am going to try that and see if it helps.

You could limit the PPT, EDC, TDC in your bios to reduce the temps. I did that to my 5800x, and the performance decrease was <2% while the temps decreased 10C+.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, BWG said:

You could limit the PPT, EDC, TDC in your bios to reduce the temps. I did that to my 5800x, and the performance decrease was <2% while the temps decreased 10C+.

Awesome, I will give that a shot. That would be a good trade off to me. Thanks!

Owned

Full Rig Info

6 minutes ago, nova4005 said:

Awesome, I will give that a shot. That would be a good trade off to me. Thanks!

Just run HWINFO and watch the max values for each, and then set them around that in the bios. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

I haven't used it, but since you are on Linux, you could check out this fork of ZenStates which has added support for ppt, edc, and tdc. https://github.com/irusanov/ZenStates-Linux

All three of my Ryzen machines are just running static OC's.  All of those machines are generally at 90-100% load, so the dynamic boosting and clocks speeds are somewhat pointless.  I was able to hit higher clocks at lower temps/volts with static OC's, compared to what the CPU would do on it's own. ¢¢

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BWG said:

Just run HWINFO and watch the max values for each, and then set them around that in the bios. 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, tictoc said:

I haven't used it, but since you are on Linux, you could check out this fork of ZenStates which has added support for ppt, edc, and tdc. https://github.com/irusanov/ZenStates-Linux

All three of my Ryzen machines are just running static OC's.  All of those machines are generally at 90-100% load, so the dynamic boosting and clocks speeds are somewhat pointless.  I was able to hit higher clocks at lower temps/volts with static OC's, compared to what the CPU would do on it's own. ¢¢

I will check out that project and see. I mainly use this rig for editing my Youtube videos so I would be fine with it being static and I would love to keep the temps as low as possible.

For the rest of this week I just enabled the Thermal Limit and set it to 60c so I could have the GPU going for the Folding event and after it's over I will dive in and get it sorted permanently.

Owned

Full Rig Info