Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Amd and linux?

bonami2

Social Media Manager
1.4k 804

Looking for some help i installed ubuntu for dual boot to try my 6800xt since for some reason it get like 4x the ppd than on windows.

But i can't figure how to install the driver 😑

Am at 900k ppd currently am trying to sell it am exhausted of amd 😆

Screenshot_20220608-053906_Chrome.jpg

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

AMD GPU's and linux can be an odd lot to get sorted if ever.
It depends on the distro you want to run, had the same basic issues with my Radeon VII and Linux not wanting to run it. Tried the Mint distro and it didn't work but then tried the Peppermint distro and it did fine.
Unfortunately most Linux distros are "Nvidia-Centric" so you'll have to get and try different ones until you find a distro that works and that you like to go with.
I would suggest Peppermint because it works but since the developer passed away in 2021 there has (To my knowledge) been no further development of it, Peppermint 10 being the last version released....
But ATM I am still using it (Pep 10) and posting with it right now.

• Thanks 1

Social Media Manager
1.4k 804
7 hours ago, Bones said:

AMD GPU's and linux can be an odd lot to get sorted if ever.
It depends on the distro you want to run, had the same basic issues with my Radeon VII and Linux not wanting to run it. Tried the Mint distro and it didn't work but then tried the Peppermint distro and it did fine.
Unfortunately most Linux distros are "Nvidia-Centric" so you'll have to get and try different ones until you find a distro that works and that you like to go with.
I would suggest Peppermint because it works but since the developer passed away in 2021 there has (To my knowledge) been no further development of it, Peppermint 10 being the last version released....
But ATM I am still using it (Pep 10) and posting with it right now.

Thank you maybe with another distro i would have more luck. There so many out of date Tutorial about amd gpu that it get hard to figure out what the latest ways to install the driver haha.

Owned

MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Linux distro's are not "Nvidia-Centric".  AMD display drivers are built into the Linux Kernel, and are installed by default,  Nvidia's are not.   The problem is AMD's half-assed implementation of OpenCL on Linux. 

Here are instructions posted on the  rocm github to get OpenCL for folding@home.  I haven't tried this, since I use Fedora.

This will get ROCm OpenCL up on Ubuntu 22.04:

Add repo key:

wget -O '/tmp/rocm.gpg.key' 'https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/rocm.gpg.key' && sudo mv '/tmp/rocm.gpg.key' '/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/rocm.asc' && sync

Add repo:

echo 'deb https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/latest/ ubuntu main' | sudo tee '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list' > '/dev/null' && cat '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list'

Install:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install rocm-opencl

Permissions (if $LOGNAME doesn't work for some reason, change it to your username; reference):

sudo usermod --append --groups 'render,video' $LOGNAME

And after a reboot, the OpenCL app I wanted to use works fine!

• Thanks 2
  • Respect 1

Social Media Manager
1.4k 804
3 hours ago, Diffident said:

Linux distro's are not "Nvidia-Centric".  AMD display drivers are built into the Linux Kernel, and are installed by default,  Nvidia's are not.   The problem is AMD's half-assed implementation of OpenCL on Linux. 

Here are instructions posted on the  rocm github to get OpenCL for folding@home.  I haven't tried this, since I use Fedora.

Add repo key:

wget -O '/tmp/rocm.gpg.key' 'https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/rocm.gpg.key' && sudo mv '/tmp/rocm.gpg.key' '/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/rocm.asc' && sync

Add repo:

echo 'deb https://repo.radeon.com/rocm/apt/latest/ ubuntu main' | sudo tee '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list' > '/dev/null' && cat '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/rocm.list'

Install:

Permissions (if $LOGNAME doesn't work for some reason, change it to your username; reference):

Ahh thank you going to try this 😄

Any idea why the amd driver team make better linux one than windows haha.

So many tutorial for open CL it getting kinda hard to do anything.

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, Diffident said:

Add repo key:

Add repo:

Install:

You're probrably right about that but in my experience it seems that way.
Never had a problem with Nvidia cards but most distros woudn't work correctly with an AMD/ATI card.
When I tried Peppermint it just worked as you'd want it to, no luck with any others I tried. 

5 hours ago, Bones said:

You're probrably right about that but in my experience it seems that way.
Never had a problem with Nvidia cards but most distros woudn't work correctly with an AMD/ATI card.
When I tried Peppermint it just worked as you'd want it to, no luck with any others I tried. 

All distros will work with AMD display drivers since they're already built into the OS.  It's only OpenCL that's the problem.  AMD drivers that provide OpenCL are only officially supported on these distro's:

• CentOS 8.4
  • CentOS 7.9
  • RHEL 8.5
  • RHEL 7.9
  • SLES 15 SP3
  • Ubuntu 20.04.4
  • Ubuntu 18.04.5 [5.4 HWE kernel]

They still work on other distros after jumping through some hoops if your distro of choice hasn't made a package for them.

Nvidia's Cuda package is distro agnostic, it installs on any distro.

The problem with Nvidia, since the driver is out of the kernel tree, you can't update the kernel without recompiling Nvidia's kernel module.  Distro's do this for you, but it does create problems for people.   Nvidia has recently open sourced it's kernel module so that might be changing.

Also Nvidia isn't fully compatible with Wayland, which is a new display server that will eventually replace X server.

• Respect 2

I've been running AMD GPUs on Linux since back in the bad old fglrx days, and outside of compute the current state of the drivers is better than it has ever been.  @Bones your issue with the Radeon VII was probably due to the rather outdated kernel that ships with Mint.  I don't know how much Mint backports to their kernel, but FYI for anyone that is running an AMD GPU, the AMD kernel driver receives constant updates and improvements and you will almost always be better served running a more up-to-date kernel than what many distros ship.

For compute on AMD, AMD is re-working a bunch of their docs around ROCm (as evidenced by the link being "ROCm_5.1.1" even though it points to ROCM 5.1.3 🙂 ).  Here is a link to the current docs: https://docs.amd.com/category/ROCm_v5.1.1

@bonami2 Technically the 6800XT is not listed in AMD's docs as "officially" supported on the ROCm stack, but most everything I've tested with my 6900XT works including F@H.  Once you get ROCm installed you should be good to go on your 6800XT.  I can't confirm if the posted install method from Diff works.  I run an "unsupported" distro, but what Diff posted, and the link to the GitHub issue, looks good to me so it's worth a shot.

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

I also run an unsupported distro.  The CentOS packages work for me on Fedora.  For AMD, the best distro's to use are an Arch derivative, Fedora or even Gentoo if your willing to put in the work.  Each has regular Kernel and Mesa updates, which are crucial to get the most from an AMD GPU.

Social Media Manager
1.4k 804

Thank you everyone 😁 will look into this soon.

Would be great to break 2k ppd

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned