Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

PSA: Modern SMR drives act more like SSDs. Deleted data may not be recoverable.

LordXeb

Hello everyone, 

I wanted to give everyone a heads up on this. Modern hard drives with SMR have TRIM enabled on them. Yes, that TRIM that is found in SSDs. If you delete data it may not be recoverable, at all. Overwritten, deleted, etc it doesn't matter. The data may be gone pretty quick and returned to zeros. 

This is something I have found while getting back into data recovery again (yeah!!!!!). Any drive with SMR drive that has come in with deleted data has been gone forever. You can sometimes find Master File Table records, but all files are empty. Basically husks. 
What drives you think have SMR? All those 3.5" drives that say they are, but many MANY 2.5" drives are SMR drives as well. You have been warned. 

• Thanks 3

Too much

Owned

CPU: 3600x
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte X570s Aorus Elite AX
CPU COOLER: Noctua DH15 Chromax Black
PSU: Seasonic PX-750
GPU: EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 Ultra
SSD/NVME: 2x WD SN750 500GB
SSD/NVME 2: Sandisk Skyhawk u.2 3.78TB nvme w/ pcie adapter
CASE: Phanteks Evolv X
Full Rig Info

Xeb

Owned

CPU: Xeb
MOTHERBOARD: Xeb
RAM: Xeb
PSU: Xeb
GPU: Xeb
SSD/NVME: Xebbabyte
CASE: Xeb
FANS: Xeeeeeebbbbb
Full Rig Info

7 hours ago, GanjaSMK said:

This is imperative information for those of us who side-gig PC related work including recovery/data protections.  Thanks LordXeb!

Oh I do more than just side recovery. I do clean room work, firmware repair, file system reconstruction, data deletion recovery. I also do RAID recoveries as well. I deal with a lot of badly degraded drives too. Currently learning about the newer drives and working on SSDs. BTW, I would say over half of SSDs are not recoverable either do to no support, severe firmware/controller failure or just straight up dead NAND. Monolithic recovery is a whole other specialty. 

Also, a lot of modern drives are not supported due to a lot of reasons. Especially large capacity drives. And in particular helium drives. Helium drives DO NOT operate in a non-helium environment. Many can detect when there isn't enough helium around and won't even unpark their heads. Others will have instant head crash without helium. Finding parts for head exchanges is hard due to lack of drives and they apparently have some tricky adaptives/firmware things. Plus, there is literally no utility support with a PC3000. There are some labs out there that have ways, but they don't share. 

Edited by LordXeb

Too much

Owned

CPU: 3600x
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte X570s Aorus Elite AX
CPU COOLER: Noctua DH15 Chromax Black
PSU: Seasonic PX-750
GPU: EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 Ultra
SSD/NVME: 2x WD SN750 500GB
SSD/NVME 2: Sandisk Skyhawk u.2 3.78TB nvme w/ pcie adapter
CASE: Phanteks Evolv X
Full Rig Info