Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

What is Nvidia Actually Selling (AI)?

Can someone please explain to me what Nvidia is actually selling besides shares? I'm a distributor in real life I represent 40+ companies in sales for me I like having factual tangible equipment to sell and being able to research it.  Few days back unfortunately I don't have it (I'll post if I find it again) but It was showing these insane sales from Nvidia that were trouncing their GPU sales. Okay of what and to who? Seriously can someone name a part number or products and in what scale are they being sold and to who? I seriously want to know cause I must have missed something here. The weird thing is I have asked numerous times around Reddit especially in investment subs and nobody can seem to give me an answer. 

It kinda seems like I'm watching this.
CEO to IT should we get some of that AI? Yeah for sure.
Okay here's a check for $10,000,000. Make it happen IT.
IT sooo ummm lets just put the money into Nvidia stock and show the CEO ChatGPT. 
Bonuses for the IT department this year. 

• Agreed 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 32GB DDR4 3600MHZ
SSD/NVME: KINGSTON KC3000 1TB
GPU: ASUS Dual AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT OC Edition 12GB
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z SE
GPU 2: XPG CORE REACTOR 650W GOLD
CASE: NZXT H510i
Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
766 1,669
3 hours ago, VoidTheWarranty said:

Can someone please explain to me what Nvidia is actually selling besides shares? I'm a distributor in real life I represent 40+ companies in sales for me I like having factual tangible equipment to sell and being able to research it.  Few days back unfortunately I don't have it (I'll post if I find it again) but It was showing these insane sales from Nvidia that were trouncing their GPU sales. Okay of what and to who? Seriously can someone name a part number or products and in what scale are they being sold and to who? I seriously want to know cause I must have missed something here. The weird thing is I have asked numerous times around Reddit especially in investment subs and nobody can seem to give me an answer.

As an (okay) boomer with almost 70 years under his belt and a bit of gut overlap, one who tends toward speaking in troll, I've taken note of that as well; and as a long term scholar schooled in social-psychology and history (among other things), I'd posit there are a lot of things going on above and beyond the market that might be cause for concern as well.

...there's only so much property one can buy in Hawaii before one runs out of land to build a bunker on. 😎

poorrichard.png.97d4d4317337649f5483d60b00117aa6.png

Also see:

Poor Richard improved: Being an Almanack and Ephemeris … for the Year of our Lord 1758: … By Richard Saunders, Philom. Philadelphia: Printed and Sold by B. Franklin, and D. Hall. (Yale University Library)

Afterthought (added): but still, I digress; there are others who are laughing all the way to the bank. I wish them well.

Edited by iamjanco

Nvidia is selling massive GPUs and NPUs to data centers. They have products that sell for a quarter million each in the data center market. 

They are also the leader in a market that is growing rapidly. 

Nvidia H100: This is the chip behind AI's supersonic stock rally (theedgesingapore.com)

Spoiler

Computer components are not usually expected to transform entire businesses and industries, but a graphics processing unit Nvidia Corp. released in 2023 has done just that. The H100 data centre chip has added more than US$1 trillion to Nvidia’s value and turned the company into an AI kingmaker overnight. It’s shown investors that the buzz around generative artificial intelligence is translating into real revenue, at least for Nvidia and its most essential suppliers. Demand for the H100 is so great that some customers are having to wait as long as six months to receive it.

1. What is Nvidia’s H100 chip?
The H100, whose name is a nod to computer science pioneer Grace Hopper, is a graphics processor. It’s a beefier version of a type of chip that normally lives in PCs and helps gamers get the most realistic visual experience. But it’s been optimized to process vast volumes of data and computation at high speeds, making it a perfect fit for the power-intensive task of training AI models. Nvidia, founded in 1993, pioneered this market with investments dating back almost two decades, when it bet that the ability to do work in parallel would one day make its chips valuable in applications outside of gaming.

2. Why is the H100 so special?
Generative AI platforms learn to complete tasks such as translating text, summarizing reports and synthesizing images by training on huge tomes of preexisting material. The more they see, the better they become at things like recognizing human speech or writing job cover letters. They develop through trial and error, making billions of attempts to achieve proficiency and sucking up huge amounts of computing power in the process. Nvidia says the H100 is four times faster than the chip’s predecessor, the A100, at training these so-called large language models, or LLMs, and is 30 times faster at replying to user prompts. For companies racing to train LLMs to perform new tasks, that performance edge can be critical.

3. How did Nvidia become a leader in AI?
The Santa Clara, California company is the world leader in graphics chips, the bits of a computer that generate the images you see on the screen. The most powerful of those are built with hundreds of processing cores that perform multiple simultaneous threads of computation, modelling complex physics like shadows and reflections. Nvidia’s engineers realized in the early 2000s that they could retool graphics accelerators for other applications, by dividing tasks up into smaller lumps and then working on them at the same time. Just over a decade ago, AI researchers discovered that their work could finally be made practical by using this type of chip.

4. Does Nvidia have any real competitors?
Nvidia controls about 80% of the market for accelerators in the AI data centres operated by Amazon.com Inc’s AWS, Alphabet Inc’s Google Cloud and Microsoft Corp’s Azure. Those companies’ in-house efforts to build their own chips, and rival products from chipmakers such as Advanced Micro Devices Inc. and Intel Corp., haven’t made much of an impression on the AI accelerator market so far.

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2024 at 13:02, UltraMega said:

Nvidia is selling massive GPUs and NPUs to data centers. They have products that sell for a quarter million each in the data center market. 

They are also the leader in a market that is growing rapidly. 

Nvidia H100: This is the chip behind AI's supersonic stock rally (theedgesingapore.com)

Reveal hidden contents

Computer components are not usually expected to transform entire businesses and industries, but a graphics processing unit Nvidia Corp. released in 2023 has done just that. The H100 data centre chip has added more than US$1 trillion to Nvidia’s value and turned the company into an AI kingmaker overnight. It’s shown investors that the buzz around generative artificial intelligence is translating into real revenue, at least for Nvidia and its most essential suppliers. Demand for the H100 is so great that some customers are having to wait as long as six months to receive it.

1. What is Nvidia’s H100 chip?
The H100, whose name is a nod to computer science pioneer Grace Hopper, is a graphics processor. It’s a beefier version of a type of chip that normally lives in PCs and helps gamers get the most realistic visual experience. But it’s been optimized to process vast volumes of data and computation at high speeds, making it a perfect fit for the power-intensive task of training AI models. Nvidia, founded in 1993, pioneered this market with investments dating back almost two decades, when it bet that the ability to do work in parallel would one day make its chips valuable in applications outside of gaming.

2. Why is the H100 so special?
Generative AI platforms learn to complete tasks such as translating text, summarizing reports and synthesizing images by training on huge tomes of preexisting material. The more they see, the better they become at things like recognizing human speech or writing job cover letters. They develop through trial and error, making billions of attempts to achieve proficiency and sucking up huge amounts of computing power in the process. Nvidia says the H100 is four times faster than the chip’s predecessor, the A100, at training these so-called large language models, or LLMs, and is 30 times faster at replying to user prompts. For companies racing to train LLMs to perform new tasks, that performance edge can be critical.

3. How did Nvidia become a leader in AI?
The Santa Clara, California company is the world leader in graphics chips, the bits of a computer that generate the images you see on the screen. The most powerful of those are built with hundreds of processing cores that perform multiple simultaneous threads of computation, modelling complex physics like shadows and reflections. Nvidia’s engineers realized in the early 2000s that they could retool graphics accelerators for other applications, by dividing tasks up into smaller lumps and then working on them at the same time. Just over a decade ago, AI researchers discovered that their work could finally be made practical by using this type of chip.

4. Does Nvidia have any real competitors?
Nvidia controls about 80% of the market for accelerators in the AI data centres operated by Amazon.com Inc’s AWS, Alphabet Inc’s Google Cloud and Microsoft Corp’s Azure. Those companies’ in-house efforts to build their own chips, and rival products from chipmakers such as Advanced Micro Devices Inc. and Intel Corp., haven’t made much of an impression on the AI accelerator market so far.

Thank you!

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 32GB DDR4 3600MHZ
SSD/NVME: KINGSTON KC3000 1TB
GPU: ASUS Dual AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT OC Edition 12GB
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z SE
GPU 2: XPG CORE REACTOR 650W GOLD
CASE: NZXT H510i
Full Rig Info