Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

EXTREMEHW 48-hour Foldathon July 27th 00:00 UTC

damric

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead

image.jpeg.3b5330630e6d7168d574d21c72728d13.jpeg

Countdown to Event Start

Countdown to Event Stop

^^CLICK THOSE IF YOU LIVE SOMEWHERE NOT UTC TIME ZONE^^

How to participate:

During the competition you must be folding for Team 239902

Stats: You can view the stats for the foldathon here: https://ehwfoldingstats.lazypenguin.com

Prizes: p.m. @damric or @firedfly if you have something suitable to give away*

(1) EXTREMEHW Official Desk Mat, 3 colors and two styles to choose. Random prize draw for those that complete minimum 10 work units.

image.jpeg.53ee13d6d7cfa38d2a46a14f0c850486.jpegimage.jpeg.6584b395ee33ae5d627845c6117ceff3.jpeg

Folding Time Prizes:

-tbd

Excluded from Prizes:

-tbd

Mind the EVENT START TIMER as it is UTC time zone.

Note: Stats are updated as soon as possible, but less frequent than desired. Just keep folding!

Note: Extreme Team Members remember to use a different pass key than your ETF key (If you don't know what that is then it probably does not apply to you).

Folding is stressful on hardware, and will often break an overclock unless it's been tested with folding. I do not recommend overclocking high end GPUs as the power draw can be extreme while folding. If anything, try tuning for energy efficiency. Casualties happen and EXTREMEHW can not be held accountable if you destroy your hardware while folding. 

Thank you for your participation!

*must be approved so please send message in private before posting.

Edited by damric
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
OPERATING SYSTEM: 11 Pro
Full Rig Info

• damric changed the title to EXTREMEHW 48-hour Foldathon July 27th 00:00 UTC

in, Cerberus

in, ExtremeHWCFP

Edited by Cerberus
  • Respect 2
  • Shocked 1

Owned

CPU: 10900k
MOTHERBOARD: EVGA z490 DARK
RAM: 32GB 3600mhz G.Skill
GPU: EVGA 2080 SUPER
SSD/NVME: 970 EVO plus 1TB
CASE: Thermaltake Core x71
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-11700K
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS PRIME Z590-P WIFI
RAID CONTROLLER: Dell H200E
HDD: 15x4TB MD1000
SSD/NVME: 10x512GB Samsung SSD (Cache) MD1000
OPERATING SYSTEM: Unraid 6.11.5
Full Rig Info

In your mom

• Great Idea 1
  • Hilarious 1

Owned

CPU: 5900X + Optimus block
MOTHERBOARD: MSI X570 Ace
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra + Optimus block
RAM: 32GB Oloy Blade 3600CL14
SSD/NVME: 1TB SN750 Black
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB SN750 Black
SSD/NVME 3: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus
CASE: LD PC-V7
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 7800X3D
MOTHERBOARD: B650E-I Strix
RAM: G.Skill Flare X5
GPU: Reference 6950 XT
CASE: InWin D-Frame Mini
WC RADIATOR: MO-RA3 with 4x180mm Silverstone fans
FAN CONTROLLER: Aquaero
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 12600KF
MOTHERBOARD: Z790I Strix
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo
GPU: RTX 2080
CASE: Sliger SM580
WC RESEVOIR: Phanteks R160C
WC RADIATOR: XSPC TX240 Ultrathin
FANS: Phanteks T30
Full Rig Info

• 2 weeks later...

Off to a bit of a late start, but I just fired up some stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead

Congrats @BritishBob you won the random draw prize. Please contact me with shipping information and the configuration and color you would like for your prize.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
OPERATING SYSTEM: 11 Pro
Full Rig Info

Premium Bronze
87 155

Blah missed this one and my 24/7 mining Nvidia GPU is out of service now.  Will make sure to get in on the best one.

• Great Idea 1

Owned

CPU: 11900k 5.4 single / 4.9 all core
MOTHERBOARD: Asus TUF Z590
RAM: 32gb G.Skill DDR4-4000 CL16 @ 3733 14-14-14-32 2T 1.49v
GPU: AMD 6900XT 2500/2100 1.115mV
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
SOUNDCARD: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: 750w Evga SuperNOVA p2
CASE: Fractal Torrent Black
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: i9 10900
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Steel Legend Z590
RAM: 64gb T-Force Vulcan Z 3600 c18
GPU: Asrock Challenger Arc A380
PSU: 850w NZXT Hale-82
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U
RAM: 32gb Kingston Fury c20 3200
GPU: Vega 7 APU
Full Rig Info

I just realized I passed 5 billion for the team during this last foldathon. So up to 6 total for every team I've folded for. It's wild how much less PPD I was getting back in the OCN days. 

I've been a lot less active folding this year. I do want to get some gear running 24/7. Also looking forward to colder weather so I can actually fire up most of the rigs for the foldathons instead of just running one or two at night. 

FoldingAtHome-points-certificate-101871(1).jpg.e8ddb051206ebbfc2809ef49d3d55b1d.jpg

• Respect 2
  • Agreed 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
45 minutes ago, Fluxmaven said:

I just realized I passed 5 billion for the team during this last foldathon. So up to 6 total for every team I've folded for. It's wild how much less PPD I was getting back in the OCN days. 

I've been a lot less active folding this year. I do want to get some gear running 24/7. Also looking forward to colder weather so I can actually fire up most of the rigs for the foldathons instead of just running one or two at night. 

FoldingAtHome-points-certificate-101871(1).jpg.e8ddb051206ebbfc2809ef49d3d55b1d.jpg

First of all, congrats bud! That's an achievement for sure!

Second of all, yes what I'm running now and the points I get daily would blow my 28 year old mind. If you told me in 2011 that there will be a GPU capable of 38 million a day max in 2011 I wouldn't believe it.

Back then, I ran a HD 6870 in the team competition for the Brass Bottom Boys team, and did 8000 points a day. I folded 24/7 for a year and got a postbit for it.

Even a little later with fahcore a21 I think, my 7970 did 200k PPD a day, and my 290 Tri-X did like 250k.

It's crazy nowadays, and once you get a 5090 it'll be even crazier and you'll kick my ass every foldathon.

27 minutes ago, neurotix said:

First of all, congrats bud! That's an achievement for sure!

Second of all, yes what I'm running now and the points I get daily would blow my 28 year old mind. If you told me in 2011 that there will be a GPU capable of 38 million a day max in 2011 I wouldn't believe it.

Back then, I ran a HD 6870 in the team competition for the Brass Bottom Boys team, and did 8000 points a day. I folded 24/7 for a year and got a postbit for it.

Even a little later with fahcore a21 I think, my 7970 did 200k PPD a day, and my 290 Tri-X did like 250k.

It's crazy nowadays, and once you get a 5090 it'll be even crazier and you'll kick my ass every foldathon.

I first tried F@H around 2011 on my 560 Ti Classified. Just as default. I didn't get into doing it for teams until much later and have never consistently folded 24/7. 

As I'm sure you remember, I can kick your ass every foldathon right now if I felt like it 😉. I had a lot of fun messing with you last year. I'd intentionally leave most of the gear off and time it so that I'd pass you right at the end. At one point I considered renting 8 4090s and waiting until the last couple hours to start them. Decided that money was better spent on other things lol. 

A 5090 would definitely allow me to do that without tying up multiple rigs like I do now. We'll see how it goes. I've been pretty burnt out on PC stuff lately. I'm leaning towards just spending my yearly tech budget on an overseas adventure instead. 

• Respect 1
  • Agreed 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

32 minutes ago, Fluxmaven said:

I first tried F@H around 2011 on my 560 Ti Classified. Just as default. I didn't get into doing it for teams until much later and have never consistently folded 24/7. 

As I'm sure you remember, I can kick your ass every foldathon right now if I felt like it 😉. I had a lot of fun messing with you last year. I'd intentionally leave most of the gear off and time it so that I'd pass you right at the end. At one point I considered renting 8 4090s and waiting until the last couple hours to start them. Decided that money was better spent on other things lol. 

A 5090 would definitely allow me to do that without tying up multiple rigs like I do now. We'll see how it goes. I've been pretty burnt out on PC stuff lately. I'm leaning towards just spending my yearly tech budget on an overseas adventure instead. 

560ti around then did like 10-12k PPD.

Yes, you can beat me every foldathon using like 8-10 cards to beat my two 😉  Zen 5 is dropping shortly, and then there will be a 5090 at some point as well as a 9950X3D. I thought in the past you were saying you are going to basically upgrade once those parts are out, skipping a generation?

If you're burnt out on PC stuff and want to take a vacation, where to? We need to get passports and travel to the Indian reservation in Canada where my father is buried, at His Majesty's Chapel of The Mohawks, for me to pay my respects. I have a ton of relatives there I've never met. But I am 1/8 Mohawk Native American or Indigenous so want to visit the rez. And of course, I also want to go to Japan. So where would you go?

With what you've told me about your home theater setup, it seems to me you could probably upgrade to a 9950X3D and 5090 and still take a trip wherever you want 😂

5 hours ago, neurotix said:

560ti around then did like 10-12k PPD.

Yes, you can beat me every foldathon using like 8-10 cards to beat my two 😉  Zen 5 is dropping shortly, and then there will be a 5090 at some point as well as a 9950X3D. I thought in the past you were saying you are going to basically upgrade once those parts are out, skipping a generation?

If you're burnt out on PC stuff and want to take a vacation, where to? We need to get passports and travel to the Indian reservation in Canada where my father is buried, at His Majesty's Chapel of The Mohawks, for me to pay my respects. I have a ton of relatives there I've never met. But I am 1/8 Mohawk Native American or Indigenous so want to visit the rez. And of course, I also want to go to Japan. So where would you go?

With what you've told me about your home theater setup, it seems to me you could probably upgrade to a 9950X3D and 5090 and still take a trip wherever you want 😂

Well to be fair If I didn't sandbag and wait to fire stuff up until the last day, I could easily keep pace with 3-4. Especially if I switched to Linux for the foldathons. 

I grew up in between several different Indian reservations. Used to go party on the res because their cops didn't care 😂.

I have friends I'd like to go see in various parts of Europe. One in Australia but that's a long trip so that might be in a few years. Eventually want to save up for a longer trip to Japan. Really want to do 3-4 weeks there. I also go to Florida every year. 

Just because I have a lot of cool stuff doesn't mean I'm rich. I can only afford a few new toys a year. It's mostly went to car mods this year. I'll likely get a 9800X3D once those are out, but I'll wait for real world reviews before deciding on a 5090.

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

16 hours ago, Fluxmaven said:

Well to be fair If I didn't sandbag and wait to fire stuff up until the last day, I could easily keep pace with 3-4. Especially if I switched to Linux for the foldathons. 

I grew up in between several different Indian reservations. Used to go party on the res because their cops didn't care 😂.

I have friends I'd like to go see in various parts of Europe. One in Australia but that's a long trip so that might be in a few years. Eventually want to save up for a longer trip to Japan. Really want to do 3-4 weeks there. I also go to Florida every year. 

Just because I have a lot of cool stuff doesn't mean I'm rich. I can only afford a few new toys a year. It's mostly went to car mods this year. I'll likely get a 9800X3D once those are out, but I'll wait for real world reviews before deciding on a 5090.

Yeah with the 4070ti and all the other cards you have, you could possibly run less (3-4) and keep up, and Linux Mint will help a LOT. Get the flatpak app called GreenWithEnvy if you use the GUI. Allows overclocking (assuming you set coolbits in xorg.conf) and shows power consumption as well as a bunch of different things. First you need to install flatpak: sudo apt install flatpak. Then Google and find the website with the flatpak app and download and install it. (Also: start effing benching with all the stuff you have for hwbot! Lol 😂)

Cool that you've been to the rez before, I lived on one for a little while as a kid. Went to a school where my Dad was the principal. Had to only speak in Mohawk, which I didn't know. I learned some of it but at recess for example I needed to ask to go pee in Mohawk and I would ask in English, they would tell me what it is in Mohawk and I'd mimic it and it wasn't good enough meanwhile I'm about to piss my pants, lol.

I want to go to Europe too, I also want to go to Japan for about the same amount of time.

We aren't rich either, I only get GPU upgrades every 5 years or so. I will (hopefully) be getting a 9950x on Aug 15. My video game collection is worth 5 digits, but I got those games mostly one at a time since 2009.

welp, I just bought a 3080ti, so my 2080S will be going under full time folding 🙂

Edited by Cerberus
  • Respect 3
  • Great Idea 1

Owned

CPU: 10900k
MOTHERBOARD: EVGA z490 DARK
RAM: 32GB 3600mhz G.Skill
GPU: EVGA 2080 SUPER
SSD/NVME: 970 EVO plus 1TB
CASE: Thermaltake Core x71
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-11700K
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS PRIME Z590-P WIFI
RAID CONTROLLER: Dell H200E
HDD: 15x4TB MD1000
SSD/NVME: 10x512GB Samsung SSD (Cache) MD1000
OPERATING SYSTEM: Unraid 6.11.5
Full Rig Info

4 minutes ago, firedfly said:

If the guy you bought it from will ever ship it... That guy's being a slacker!

I'm just surprised that guy actually got around to selling one of those cards.

To be fair... I'm pretty sure those were on the white board to do list... So if some of the other guys weren't also slackers, those GPU's could have been cleaned, photographed and listed a couple months ago. 😂

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned