Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Book Club

Good day all,

I want to start a book club

Myself I'm into sci-fi, detective and novels likes of Grisham.

I do most of my books via Audible.

My all time favorite as of right now is expeditionary force by Craig Alanson and as stated before John Grisham. 

I am currently re-listening to Fear Saga by Stephen Moss

Purpose of this thread is to see how many of you are interested and may be eventually it will become section by itself if we have enough people.

I think when you post a suggestion for books for someone else to read/listen we should include following

Is it your current read/listen

Post synopsis

How many books in series if any

Your take

Why would you suggest book/series

So as I said before I currently listening to The Fear Saga by Stephen Moss.

In eleven years' time, a million members of an alien race will arrive at Earth. Years before they enter orbit, their approach will be announced by the flare of a thousand flames in the sky, their ships' huge engines burning hard to slow them from the vast speeds needed to cross interstellar space. These foreboding lights will shine in our night sky like new stars, getting ever brighter until they outshine even the sun, casting ominous shadows and banishing the night until they suddenly blink out. Their technology is vastly superior to ours, and they know they cannot possibly lose the coming conflict. But they, like us, have found no answer to the destructive force of the atom, and they have no intention of facing the onslaught of our primitive nuclear arsenal or the devastation it would wreak on the planet they crave. So they have flung out an advance party in front of them, hidden within one of the countless asteroids randomly roaming the void. They do not want us, they want our planet. Their Agents are arriving.

3 books in series

it is an interesting take how aliens vs humanity and it takes more than one nation to succeed to achieve a goal to survive

I am an idealis, I believe that borders and nations should disappear in order for us to progress and achieve our potential.  I do strongly believe that in order for humanity to survive we need to abolish our differences and become united as species. It is relatively light listen that would keep you engaged and entertained for hours and will keep you guessing what will happen next.

Edited by Joe__Bishop

I mostly read ScFi /Fantasy and when I found myself re-reading the xanth collection while waiting for a new release from 1 of the few authors I follow who are still alive I actually subscribed to kindle unlimited. Alot of the offerings are kinda fluff, but I read an average of a book a day or every 2 days so for the price,it was worth it for me. This article is pretty good at describing Amazons 2 offerings and the cost of each along with the pro's & cons. https://www.hookedtobooks.com/kindle-unlimited-vs-prime-reading/

As to some suggestions from MY collections, I'd say Glen Cooks Black Company series(9 main,2 splinter books),Piers Anthony's Incarnation's Of Immortality series(Incarnations of Immortality is the name of an eight-book fantasy series by Piers Anthony. The books each focus on one of eight supernatural "offices" (Death, Time, Fate, War, Nature, Evil, Good, and Night) in a fictional reality and history parallel to ours, with the exception that society has advanced both magic and modern technology. The series covers the adventures and struggles of a group of humans called "Incarnations", who hold these supernatural positions for a certain time.)

Mercedes Lackey her Heralds Of Valdemar series(38 novels so far... and 14 anthologies)  , her 500 Kingdoms series(6 full length books & a short story), and her Elemental masters series(16 full novels & 2 anthologies) are all rather good.

For your detective fix, I recommend trying the Garret P.I. series by Glen Cook 14 books. "Garrett P.I. is a series of fantasy novels by American writer Glen Cook about Garrett, a freelance private investigator. The novels are written in a hard-boiled detective fiction style, with elements of traditional mystery and dialogue-based humor. Garrett, during his adventures in his home city of TunFaire and across Karenta and the Cantard, has to deal with elves, vampires, centaurs, trolls, and numerous mixed breeds, along with gods, wizards, witches and more." <--- from Wikipedia....   🙂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...