Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

OPNsense, Help with Ports?

I guess I should've came here to ask questions first.  But too late for that now!!!!

Anybody in here good with OPNsense, or good with networking in general and willing to create a dummy box to help me out with?  If not, maybe you've got a really great understanding of the OS?  I'm kinda lost here, let me go over my setup though.  It's simple ish, and so far working except the only problem below.

LAN1 - ISP
LAN2 - VPN LAN DHCP 1
LAN3 - Non VPN LAN DHCP 2

I'm using:  DHCP x2, Firewall, NAT, DNS, and VPN pages in setup mostly.  I've tried using tutorials (how I got the VPN working) and just common sense / understanding of basic terms.

I have gotten Plex to function somehow via the NAT section and port forwarding on LAN2 successfully.  When I copy those same (working) settings over to open up other ports, the new ports don't end up forwarding properly.  Trying to setup RDP into my network, and those ports (any I try) don't want to open.  I've tried forwarding Steam required ports for voice chat over to my main rig, and that doesn't work (also copy / pasted "working").  None of that seems to work.  Same with actual game clients it seems.  I can access them through my DNS locally just fine.  Outside of my ISP I can't access them at all either by IP or by DNS.  Maybe its a DNS setting problem?  Maybe its a port forwarding problem?  Not sure.  Been trying all sorts of things between both to fix this, and nothing I try seems to work.

Yes, software wise on the rigs its setup correctly.  This was all stuff I already had forwarded on my R7000 Netgear.  Using LAN3 I've created a work-around by opening quite literally everything to it.  I don't like that idea, but it works for now.  However it doesn't work on anything hardwired as that's all stuck to LAN2.  This only works for wireless clients (like my main rig).

Anybody got any ideas on where I can start?  To be honest, I don't even think I've got the Plex ports opened up correctly since nothing else works.  But magically those are working.  So far, this has been my only hiccup with OPNsense.  If I could figure out where I'm going wrong with ports, this router will be absolutely amazing.

Edited by pioneerisloud
Really fixed my wording

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

• pio changed the title to OPNsense, Help with Ports?

Bump, really fixed OP's wording.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much