Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Linksys EA8500 Not Running At B-Only Speeds When Specifying B-Only Mode?

I tried setting Mixed mode then B Only mode & it didn't fix it & I tried restarting the router to no avail.  It's supposed to operate at 11Mbps network speed, rather than 130.0Mbps & beyond.  I'm trying to limit the Guest wifi only.  Which I have done so successfully prior to this new configuration.  It's a really simple configuration though, the ISP source is AT&T hotspot & the EA8500 is in Wireless Repeater mode connected to the more reliable 2.4Ghz wifi band of the AT&T hotspot.  Before I had it in Wireless repeater mode but connected to the 5Ghz band of the hotspot & it was dropping connections a lot.  Now it's very stable on the 2.4Ghz band but it's way too fast, it's not limiting the speed like it's supposed to.

Network Speed Issue Linksys EA8500.jpg

Edited by HeyItsChris

7 hours ago, HeyItsChris said:

I tried setting Mixed mode then B Only mode & it didn't fix it & I tried restarting the router to no avail.  It's supposed to operate at 11Mbps network speed, rather than 130.0Mbps & beyond.  I'm trying to limit the Guest wifi only.  Which I have done so successfully prior to this new configuration.  It's a really simple configuration though, the ISP source is AT&T hotspot & the EA8500 is in Wireless Repeater mode connected to the more reliable 2.4Ghz wifi band of the AT&T hotspot.  Before I had it in Wireless repeater mode but connected to the 5Ghz band of the hotspot & it was dropping connections a lot.  Now it's very stable on the 2.4Ghz band but it's way too fast, it's not limiting the speed like it's supposed to.

Network Speed Issue Linksys EA8500.jpg

try on b/g only or g only and see if it slows it down to the 52Mbps speed at least. If it does,then it may just be a glitch in the programing or listing order.You'd think that the b only option would be BEFORE the n only option anyway.

• Respect 1

@schuck6566I fixed it by using the 5ghz band of the hotspot internet source as the primary Wireless Repeater mode band of the Linksys Smart Wifi.  Then it works by forcing the 2.4Ghz band of the Linksys Smart Wifi to Wireless B-mode only (11Mbps).  I hope that makes sense.  Since if I used the 2.4Ghz band of the source internet AT&T hotspot as the Wireless Repeater, it forces the 2.4Ghz band of the Linksys Smart Wifi to Full Speed 300Mbps or so or N 2.4Ghz.

• Respect 1