Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

4 kg Literal Hunk of Copper Cools a Core i9 Processor (techpowerup)

Memmento Mori

WWW.TECHPOWERUP.COM

An 8 lbs (roughly 4 kg) solid cylinder made of copper was used as a fanless heatsink to cool an Intel Core i9 processor. This isn't a heatsink in that it's made of extruded copper, but a literal hunk of copper that...

And I was bothering my self with "air flow" .... :confused_frusty2:

• Thanks 3
  • Respect 2

NoBodyKnow

Owned

CPU: Intel i9-10900K @ 4.9 Ghz
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MEG Z490 Godlike
RAM: 32 GB - G Skill Trident GTRS (15-15-15-30 @2050 T2)
SSD/NVME: GIGABYTE GP-AG41TB 1TB
CASE: CaseLabs SM8
GPU: Radeon RX 6900 XT - XFX Merc 319
CPU COOLER: Thermalright Frost Comander 140
Full Rig Info

It will heat up and stay warm for a long time, it won't dissipate the thermal energy to the surrounding air fast enough. 
Maybe useful if you've got cold feet, take it with you in bed to keep you warm 🤔

Instead I'd machine a nice big hole from the top to the bottom through that copper bar and make it into an LN2 pot 😄

• Respect 3

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

5 hours ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

It will heat up and stay warm for a long time, it won't dissipate the thermal energy to the surrounding air fast enough. 
Maybe useful if you've got cold feet, take it with you in bed to keep you warm 🤔

Instead I'd machine a nice big hole from the top to the bottom through that copper bar and make it into an LN2 pot 😄

Would be an LN2 Copper pot making a difference? 🤔 for sure you could argue its "massive" 😅  

NoBodyKnow

Owned

CPU: Intel i9-10900K @ 4.9 Ghz
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MEG Z490 Godlike
RAM: 32 GB - G Skill Trident GTRS (15-15-15-30 @2050 T2)
SSD/NVME: GIGABYTE GP-AG41TB 1TB
CASE: CaseLabs SM8
GPU: Radeon RX 6900 XT - XFX Merc 319
CPU COOLER: Thermalright Frost Comander 140
Full Rig Info

23 hours ago, Memmento Mori said:

Would be an LN2 Copper pot making a difference? 🤔 for sure you could argue its "massive" 😅  

A copper pot without LN2, maybe a bit because it has more surface area. 
A copper pot with LN2? Well, as long as you can fill it fast enough, the socket heater can keep the back of the board warm enough and you have everything covered in vaseline or liquid tape... 😂

Edited by Bastiaan_NL

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

On 06/02/2023 at 11:20, Bastiaan_NL said:

A copper pot without LN2, maybe a bit because it has more surface area. 
A copper pot with LN2? Well, as long as you can fill it fast enough, the socket heater can keep the back of the board warm enough and you have everything covered in vaseline or liquid tape... 😂

That's basically what I do and have.
I seal the chip itself and socket area with dielectric, have a film of it around it and the socket area on the back too. Doesn't bother heat transfer from my Inferno at all and keeps it protected during times when I'm recovering from a failed OC/unstable system that won't start and run for any length of time.

Pots made with aluminum for example can't transfer heat as efficiently as copper does - Lighter weight of course but you do lose efficiency so when subjected to heavy thermal loads the chip heats up more than it would with a copper pot in use, plus temps under load are higher overall too.

I've made a few with an aluminum base and they are great for chips with a CB/CBB sometimes. 
Even with that it can't get too warm or you'll start losing the benefit of subzero cooling itself, meaning less voltage you can use which in turn means lower clocks.... No point in worrying about it in that case.

Copper is really the way to go with anything subzero.

• Respect 1