Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

AMD FSR 2.2 is open source

UltraMega

With AMD still keeping a lid on its plans for FidelityFX Super Resolution 3, it has finally released source code for FSR 2.2 which improves image quality.

With most FSR 2 titles out there using older versions of the tech - including Cyberpunk 2077 - today comes the official open-source release of FSR version 2.2.0. As noted by AMD in the release, "FidelityFX FSR2 v2.2.0 is a major update that significantly increases image quality in many more cases," with the latest update "significantly reducing artefacts such as high velocity ghosting and shimmering."

Even though it sounds like an incremental update over FSR version 2.1.2, this latest version changes the FSR2 API, meaning that "updating to FSR 2.2 from 2.1.2 will take some work." However, AMD adds that it's still a straightforward implementation.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/90386/amd-releases-source-code-for-fidelityfx-super-resolution-2-aka-its-dlss/index.html

Finally, one of these things goes open source. Sounds like they've made a lot of improvements too. 

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Good news.  I'm still not a fan of this tech as I prefer native, but the improvements being made have made me test it out a bit more.   Likely to get some more mileage out of my 6900XT at 4k as the tech becomes acceptable to me.

Owned

CPU: 11900k 5.4 single / 4.9 all core
MOTHERBOARD: Asus TUF Z590
RAM: 32gb G.Skill DDR4-4000 CL16 @ 3733 14-14-14-32 2T 1.49v
GPU: AMD 6900XT 2500/2100 1.115mV
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
SOUNDCARD: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: 750w Evga SuperNOVA p2
CASE: Fractal Torrent Black
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: i9 10900
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Steel Legend Z590
RAM: 64gb T-Force Vulcan Z 3600 c18
GPU: Asrock Challenger Arc A380
PSU: 850w NZXT Hale-82
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U
RAM: 32gb Kingston Fury c20 3200
GPU: Vega 7 APU
Full Rig Info

I got a better appreciation for FSR 2.0 in Cyberpunk trying to run it on my old GTX 970 @ 1440p.  The game was borderline unplayable without it, with FSR 2.0, it was playable.  With my current system, I'd rather run native, I don't need the performance boost.  I can't help but laugh about DLSS 3.0.  What's the point of offering upscaling on only the newest hardware?  It shouldn't need it.  It's the old hardware that would benefit from it.

I always hope that open source beats closed source.  I'm glad it did with monitors, freesync compatible is the standard, it's rare to see monitors that actually include the Nvidia module for g-sync, now they all claim "g-sync compatible", which isn't what g-sync was.  Traditionally, whoever releases first claims proprietary tech, and whoever comes along after says it's open source.  I wonder if that standard will hold true now that Intel has entered the market.  2nd place may not offer open source.  There's also a Chinese company trying to enter the market.  I really hope foreign nation competition doesn't stifle open source. 

• Respect 1

They have a free version of FSR called MagPie that can upscale games, like 720p to 1080p would be best to see real difference

GITHUB.COM

使游戏窗口全屏显示. Contribute to Blinue/Magpie development by creating an account on GitHub.

GITHUB.COM

English Translation of Magpie. Contribute to 7Brandyn7/Magpie development by creating an account on GitHub.

Edited by theskonester

Owned

CPU: A10 9700E
GPU: GTX 1060 3GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Full Rig Info

On 02/03/2023 at 15:15, Kaz said:

I got a better appreciation for FSR 2.0 in Cyberpunk trying to run it on my old GTX 970 @ 1440p.  The game was borderline unplayable without it, with FSR 2.0, it was playable.  With my current system, I'd rather run native, I don't need the performance boost.  I can't help but laugh about DLSS 3.0.  What's the point of offering upscaling on only the newest hardware?  It shouldn't need it.  It's the old hardware that would benefit from it.

I always hope that open source beats closed source.  I'm glad it did with monitors, freesync compatible is the standard, it's rare to see monitors that actually include the Nvidia module for g-sync, now they all claim "g-sync compatible", which isn't what g-sync was.  Traditionally, whoever releases first claims proprietary tech, and whoever comes along after says it's open source.  I wonder if that standard will hold true now that Intel has entered the market.  2nd place may not offer open source.  There's also a Chinese company trying to enter the market.  I really hope foreign nation competition doesn't stifle open source. 

Features sell hardware but, I do agree with you. FSR 2+ on older hardware is of real value. Extending the useful life of older GPUs helps people stretch out that budget and likely prevents some electronics being tossed in the bin before they might need to be tossed. Quite awesome that you can comfortably run CP2077 on a GTX 970 @ 1440p.

Edited by SamsTechStuff

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 3900XT
Full Rig Info

8 hours ago, SamsTechStuff said:

Features sell hardware but, I do agree with you. FSR 2+ on older hardware is of real value. Extending hte useful life of older GPUs helps people strech out that budget and likely prevents some electronics being tossed in the bin before they might need to be tossed. Quite awesome that you can comfortably run CP2077 on a GTX 970 @ 1440p.

I think it averaged around 40-45 fps, I don't know if you'd call it comfortable, but it was certainly playable.