Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Which hub has a USB-C detachable interface between hub & device with a SuperSpeed 3.0 Card Reader?

HeyItsChris

Which hub has a USB-C detachable interface between hub & device with a SuperSpeed 3.0 Card Reader?

I cannot find any hubs with a detachable usb c interface with a couple usb 3.0 type A ports & a super speed card reader with all ports & slots including the card reader capable of 5Gbps speed.

Please send links.

Thanks

Technically, none.

Has the card reader throughput been your sticking point? That is almost never specified by the manufacturer or reseller of the hubs. Otherwise, you've described practically any $30 MacBook Pro hub out there.

I assume you're talking about SD cards, otherwise I'd imagine you would have specified which one. SD card reader interfaces aren't rated by USB bus speeds. They have their own bus interfaces and all the commercially available ones are slower than USB 3.0. The fastest is UHS-II which theoretically tops out at 312 MB/s. UHS-III cards aren't on the market yet.

The better question is, what's your fastest SD card? Because if it's not UHS-II, you're needlessly looking for a needle in a haystack. Either way, this is the best you'll be able to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Slot-Reader-10Gbps-Adapter-TF4-0-Compatible-Windows/dp/B0BLCF8YDP/

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

Edit: was sure Dell hub had sd card slot but it seem not.

Why a detachable cable? Some unit have multiple type c port and external power can feed the hub from those port sometime.

Edited by bonami2
  • Respect 1

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

The reason why I need a detachable cable is so I can maintain USB 3.0+ reliable speed since I bought a hub with a fixed cable not even 5 months ago & already from a constant bend in the cable at the connector of the USB type A male end, has caused the hub to fallback to USB 2.0 speeds now which is a major bummer man.  So by using a 10Gbps hub like the one I linked with supposed 102mb/s speed on the card reader and using a quality replaceable USB type C to USB type A 10Gbps cable I can maintain reliability on the hub for the foreseeable future.  I'll use 10Gbps usb type c male to usb type a female adapters on the 2 usb c ports because I only use USB type A 3.0+ devices.

• Respect 1

3 hours ago, HeyItsChris said:

The reason why I need a detachable cable is so I can maintain USB 3.0+ reliable speed since I bought a hub with a fixed cable not even 5 months ago & already from a constant bend in the cable at the connector of the USB type A male end, has caused the hub to fallback to USB 2.0 speeds now which is a major bummer man.  So by using a 10Gbps hub like the one I linked with supposed 102mb/s speed on the card reader and using a quality replaceable USB type C to USB type A 10Gbps cable I can maintain reliability on the hub for the foreseeable future.  I'll use 10Gbps usb type c male to usb type a female adapters on the 2 usb c ports because I only use USB type A 3.0+ devices.

Ahh that make sense kinda like my sennheiser removable headphone cable. 😀

I got a 100$ amazon hub with multiple 4k 60hz output. Work great except the second type c power input is defective. So it only use the main type c as power can't power external hdd 😔

• Thanks 1

Owned

MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

@bonami2That sounds cool man & I'm sorry to hear about the power not able to handle external hard drives.  Not even like a 5v 1a 2.5" drive?  Can you look at that hub I posted & see about the card reader speed, is it truly good speed card reader?

17 hours ago, HeyItsChris said:

Thanks for the insight on the UHS-II & UHS-III, thats what I needed to search.

I found this hub which seems to be close to perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NXNNY1N/?coliid=I1XFIH8T8AWD5A&colid=XSX959VRLTZA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It says Transfer Speed: 10Gbps for Type C/Type A Ports, 5Gbps for SD/TF Ports 

Seem to be plenty fast. I know mine was impressively fast with my sd card.

And no sadly it can power the drive if it pluggued in my s22 ultra but the battery empty fast. And if i plug it in my Orange Pi5 it freeze the OS 😐 am using an old 240gb ssd via 5v now use ways less power so it run fine 😄

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

@bonami2Nice man.  Me too I'm going on a shopping spree on the 1st buy a Micron 1100 2tb ssd for $50 & a 128gb samsung cm871a i believe is the model for $9.99 & among other computer tech goodies like a mini monitor 1280x800 native 10.1" for various purposes.  Not to mention I'm getting 100ft of solid core copper 18awg fire alarm 2 conductor red black wire with a red sleeve for $23 which is amazing being solid core copper no strands that fray & break all too easily, which is for my LG 3D BluRay home theater receiver Digital Optical is what I'm using from the unit to my 4K Hisense 43" TV for Dolby DIgital 5.1 & DTS 5.1 surround sound.  I hope it will sound amazing on the solid core copper wire.  I'm using the 128gb ssd on my tv as storage but over USB 2.0... Will I still benefit with better small file performance over the integrated NAND memory or MLC idk which memory type my Hisense 43A6H uses with Mediatek MT9612 (Which I'm trying to root & the bootloader is already unlocked just need to pull or find partition A boot.img to root if you can help bro it would mean the world!?!).  Anyway thanks for looking into that  hub for me & I think it should suit quite nicely.

Here's the firmware if u can extract it and send me the boot.img I'd be amazed!

I actually extracted it already with Python for Windows & Binwalk & Gzip.  I can't seem to extract the .gz files... 

Thanks

16 hours ago, bonami2 said:

It says Transfer Speed: 10Gbps for Type C/Type A Ports, 5Gbps for SD/TF Ports 

Seem to be plenty fast. I know mine was impressively fast with my sd card.

I would be wary of what you see in the product description of these Chinese-marketed products though. They're confusing at best and blatantly misleading at worst. In the bulletpoints at the top of the Amazon product description, it says:

❤【Universal SD ready】The SD TF Card reader (Speed up to 104 Mbp/s) for USB-C/Type-C/Thunderbolt 3 devices to access files from SD/TF card reader, capacity up to 512GB, easy to transfer photos shooting or videos by your camera from cards to laptop in just seconds. Quickly view your photos or videos, perfect for Photographer or Designer or Video editor,etc

The product's ambiguous nonstandard notation (104 Mbp/s) notwithstanding, the transfer speed cannot be 5 Gbps (625 MB/s) to an SD card. They have their own bus. The adapter may provide 5 Gbps of available bandwidth via USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1/whatever, but the SD card bus and the card will limit the maximum throughput of the card. The fastest commercially available SD card bus is UHS-II which has a half-duplex throughput of 312 MB/s, and is only available for SD cards that are most commonly used in and marketed for professional digital cameras with 4K video recording. Even the fastest general purpose SD card is on UHS-I, so unless you use UHS-II cards, I wouldn't go out of my way to seek a UHS-II card reader if it's not the most vital feature of this USB hub.

UHS-II cards physically have a second row of contacts, and if a card reader doesn't have them, then they fall back to UHS-I which maxes out at 104 MB/s half-duplex (or whichever lower-spec bus the card reader supports).

There is an approved UHS-III standard defined by the SD 6.0 spec that maxes out at 624 MB/s full duplex and actually would saturate a USB 3.0 5 Gbps interface. No UHS-III cards or readers currently exist on the market though. There is also an SD Express bus that uses a single PCI Express lane, but those aren't currently implemented as multi-input hub solutions and again, there are no cards.

Edited by Snakecharmed
  • Respect 2

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, Snakecharmed said:

I would be wary of what you see in the product description of these Chinese-marketed products though. They're confusing at best and blatantly misleading at worst. In the bulletpoints at the top of the Amazon product description, it says:

The product's ambiguous nonstandard notation (104 Mbp/s) notwithstanding, the transfer speed cannot be 5 Gbps (625 MB/s) to an SD card. They have their own bus. The adapter may provide 5 Gbps of available bandwidth via USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1/whatever, but the SD card bus and the card will limit the maximum throughput of the card. The fastest commercially available SD card bus is UHS-II which has a half-duplex throughput of 312 MB/s, and is only available for SD cards that are most commonly used in and marketed for professional digital cameras with 4K video recording. Even the fastest general purpose SD card is on UHS-I, so unless you use UHS-II cards, I wouldn't go out of my way to seek a UHS-II card reader if it's not the most vital feature of this USB hub.

UHS-II cards physically have a second row of contacts, and if a card reader doesn't have them, then they fall back to UHS-I which maxes out at 104 MB/s half-duplex (or whichever lower-spec bus the card reader supports).

There is an approved UHS-III standard defined by the SD 6.0 spec that maxes out at 624 MB/s full duplex and actually would saturate a USB 3.0 5 Gbps interface. No UHS-III cards or readers currently exist on the market though. There is also an SD Express bus that uses a single PCI Express lane, but those aren't currently implemented as multi-input hub solutions and again, there are no cards.

That make sense i think mine maxed at about 100MB. Anyways SD card IOPS are really crap and often are slower than hardrive.

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned