Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

PS5 Pro leaks starting to feel real

UltraMega

I talked a little last week about the PS5 Pro specification as outed by journalist Tom Henderson. He's previously established trust in his sources by correctly predicting the Project Q handheld, but the jury's still out on his reports on the new PlayStation 5 model with a detachable/optional BD drive. The specs he offers for Trinity amount to 30 WGPs, 18000 MT/s memory, an '8K performance mode' and 'accelerated ray tracing'. The chip at the heart of the machine is codenamed Viola, a state of affairs corroborated by Kepler, who seems to have know about this - and other - AMD processors since at least March or April.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

It's basically a clean sweep for Sony and PlayStation news, leaks and rumours in this week's DF Direct Weekly news stor…

I've been following PS5 Pro rumors for a while now. I didn't want to believe Pro refresh consoles would be in the works before the PS5 era feels like it's even really gotten off the ground, but with the rise of Ray Tracing and Upscaling, it seems reasonable that new consoles could justify their existence by focusing on those kind of features. 

If they do release a new console, I'd rather just see a PS6 that was less of a massive jump than the usual new console is, but also one that's not just there to play PS5 games at higher res and frame rate, and maybe with more RT. 

It's clear this gens consoles are going to struggle to hit 4k a lot of the time, any pro console refresh is going to have to avoid being seen as a do-over to try to get hardware out that can keep up with standard PS5 era features more easily. IMO, it would have to offer something new beyond just better performance. 

That makes me wonder, what could AMD bring to the table with a new console... Easy answer seems like better RT and performance in general, better upscaling support. However, I see potential for FSR3 to debut with a new console, or some other sort of "game changing" feature to really make it stand out. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

It seems rather likely at this stage considering the amount of rumours that something is coming. I do agree with you, I have a difficult time understanding what can the new system bring over PS5 from AMD's existing lineup today.

Their RT performance, and improvement from RDNA 2 to 3, isn't great. Their frame generation implementation, FSR 3, was supposed to be out already. I assume they would still want to launch it on PC first but it would make sense if it releases with PS5 Pro too. That would back up "8K performance mode". 

I'm just thinking from a consumer perspective: What value will I receive by spending (X) on a Pro console next year? How will they market it? Better RT and frame gen? Doesn't sound all that appealing knowing RT likely won't be all that good. They already advertised the PS5 as 4K 120 / 8K 60. Barely any games are pushing the hardware now. 

I think a PS5 slim would be better for the consumer if there is a price reduction... but I think that is less feasible than Sony trying to market a Pro to be objective. 

Edited by Slaughtahouse
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Slaughtahouse said:

It seems rather likely at this stage considering the amount of rumours that something is coming. I do agree with you, I have a difficult time understanding what can the new system bring over PS5 from AMD's existing lineup today.

Their RT performance, and improvement from RDNA 2 to 3, isn't great. Their frame generation implementation, FSR 3, was supposed to be out already. I assume they would still want to launch it on PC first but it would make sense if it releases with PS5 Pro too. That would back up "8K performance mode". 

I'm just thinking from a consumer perspective: What value will I receive by spending (X) on a Pro console next year? How will they market it? Better RT and frame gen? Doesn't sound all that appealing knowing RT likely won't be all that good. They already advertised the PS5 as 4K 120 / 8K 60. Barely any games are pushing the hardware now. 

I think a PS5 slim would be better for the consumer if there is a price reduction... but I think that is less feasible than Sony trying to market a Pro to be objective. 

PS5 actually did get a price reduction recently. 

If a PS5 slim/cheaper to manufacture design is doable, I'd think they would do it weather or not they do a PS5 Pro. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

4 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

PS5 actually did get a price reduction recently. 

If a PS5 slim/cheaper to manufacture design is doable, I'd think they would do it weather or not they do a PS5 Pro. 

Yes they could do both, even at the same time. Phase out the default machine and split the SKU into Slim & Pro. Pro keeps the disk drive, Slim replaces the digital only console (diskless) to keep size and costs down. 

RE: Price, I think that is region exclusive. In Canada, both PS5 and Xbox Series X went up in price.