Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

AMD Retreating from Enthusiast Graphics Segment with RDNA4?

Regardless of rumor or not, smart move or no?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. AMD possibly exiting the high end GPU segment and focusing instead on the AI sector / and or developing more resources to the midrange segment - is this a smart move on AMD's part or not so much?

• Smart move.
    • Not so much.

23 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

Interesting, I'll have to keep a closer eye on 4070 Ti and below cards. I saw a big uptick in RDNA2 movement here in Denver, but it is because like you say, they are massively discounted. 30-series hasn't seen a huge discount from 2020-2021 MSRPs as far as I can see. I also noticed that the only 30-series cards that see any volume still at my store are 3050's, 3060's, 3060 Ti's. 3070 and 3070 Ti are more onesie twosie. 3080 and above have just been gone for months.

I don't really see RDNA3 cards moving either. Maybe once the 7800 series starts releasing, but the 7900 series has been priced completely wrong. AMD had an opportunity to sock it to Nvidia this gen, absolutely, but they chose not to. I don't know why people keep thinking AMD only doing mid-range cards is a winning formula for them. This is exactly why their market share shrunk and general consumer perception of Radeon as a brand is that it's second rate. The only reason I see AMD pulling out of the enthusiast market is because they stopped giving a crap about trying to do anything revolutionary with Radeon and are content to service 10-15% of the market. Sad really considering the turnaround they pulled on Intel with Ryzen and Epyc.

The 7900XT is going for $700 now, and the XTX is going for less than $1000. They did have bad prices at launch, but they're priced well now. 

People keep thinking AMD only doing mid range makes sense for AMD because: 

• AMD doesn't have a good offering for the top tier right now
  • mid range is by far the largest part of the market

It's not a "winning" strategy though, no one would expect AMD to win this race anytime soon. It's a reasonable strategy given where they're at. 

I don't think their market share shrunk because they aren't doing a 4090 competitor, their market share shrunk because they have been consistently late to market with hardware and software features, and generally have worse offerings than Nvidia overall. I'm happy with my 7900XT and it just happened to be the price range I was looking for at the time, but at almost any other price point I probably would have gone with Nvidia. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Well if mid-range is where it's at, I guess they suck at capturing that market too lingering at 15%ish market share.

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

45 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

Well if mid-range is where it's at, I guess they suck at capturing that market too lingering at 15%ish market share.

Given that, imagine how much worse they would do in the top tier segment.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

They won't take back the market in one night so whatever step they take to be more competitive and offer better value to the consumer is the right step in my view. 

If that includes omitting the high end / enthusiast GPUs, be my guest AMD. Hopefully they make good headway into the MCM format and that strategy allows them to be more successful in the next 3-5 years. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2023 at 12:33, TonyBombassolo said:

Has AMD ever released a GPU that is better than Nvidia's top end for anything other than synthetic benchmarks?

also lol @ them saying "We could have made one"

ffs

ATI had, arguably twice (or more)

9600/9800Pro and 9600/9800XT wiped the floor of all GF4 and FX 5000 cards.

x850 XT PE kicked butt, but lacked SM3.0 v. GF6800s

X1800XT(X) v. 7800GTX 256MB, X1900XT(X) vs. 7800GTX 512MB, and X1950XTX vs. 7900 GTX were all tight competition, as well.
(With the short-ran soon-superseded-by-G80 X1950XTX GDDR4 reigning undisputed king) 

AMD... I'd say the HD 7970 (Ghz Ed. / Rev B. silicon) qualifies.

perfrel.gif

The R9 290X 8GB w/ Water Cooling or excessive Air Cooling and a heavy OC would topple the competition. But... that's not out-of-box/apples-apples.

Edited by LabRat
  • Respect 2

Nvidia did the same thing a few generations ago. We haven't had Nvidia's top end card for a while. So I can see AMD doing the same. And reserving their top end for ai or workstation cards.

However rumors hint at bigger APU's. So I don't see them making too low end of a part. I can't see them releasing another RX6400/6500 class GPU.

Edited by ozlay
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ozlay said:

Nvidia did the same thing a few generations ago. We haven't had Nvidia's top end card for a while. So I can see AMD doing the same. And reserving their top end for ai or workstation cards.

However rumors hint at bigger APU's. So I don't see them making too low end of a part. I can't see them releasing another RX6400/6500 class GPU.

Started with Navi 12 / CDNA; been going that way since. IMO, AI/MI has drastically changed the prosumer/gamer/enthusiast market (relative) profits. It's just not 'attractive' to make 'halo tier' GPUs and sell them for $1500 or less. 

Example: My (Vega 10) MI25 used to be a $6k+ card, (x2 Navi 12) V540s were multiple-$10Ks, IIRC.