Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

AMD confirms FSR3 will be open source

AMD expects FSR 3.0 gameplay to be a smoother experience over FSR 2.0. The company is putting great effort on reducing latency, which is the key in achieving the best gaming experience. Furthermore, AMD wants to make the FSR2 to FSR3 upgrade path as easy as possible. This would undoubtedly have a considerable impact on how quickly the third gen FSR is adopted.

More importantly, AMD confirms that FSR 3 will be open source through the MIT license. This means that third upscaling tech from AMD will be free to grab and easily editable by anyone. Once FSR3 is ready, the company is likely to release samples and full documentation. Once this happens, NVIDIA DLSS3 games may quickly start seeing FSR3 mods, just like they did with DLSS2/FSR2.

spacer.png

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-confirms-fidelityfx-super-resolution-3-fsr3-will-be-open-source

I've heard rumors that AMD might release FSR3 with the upcoming 7800 and 7700 GPUs. Would be great if it coincided with the Starfield release. 

I noticed this new is a bit old after I posted it. The link I was it on had the wrong date. I don't think it was posted here though, and it could be relevant in the near future if rumors about an august announcement are true. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

I was just listening to this podcast and the Moores Law is Dead guy thinks it's a strong possibility FSR3 will launch with Starfield. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

FSR is the reason I don't care about DLSS.  With my GTX 970 Cyberpunk was unplayable with default/low graphics settings, but with FSR enabled it was an enjoyable game.  That graphics card couldn't use DLSS.

Nvidia likes to lock their DLSS improvements to newer hardware.  That's why the 4060 is SO MUCH BETTERZ than the 3060 in charts, when in actuality, the hardware has very few improvements and is a downgrade with PCIE 3.0.  I don't need upscaling/smoothing for new hardware, I need it when the hardware is a little older...  When Nvidia users are locked out of newer DLSS versions, FSR is still available.  It's only a matter of time until the DLSS for current gen hardware is outdated, and FSR is a superior option.

It's kind of like G-Sync/Free-sync.  G-Sync hit the market and required additional hardware on the monitor, which raised monitor prices by about $50.  When Free-sync hit the market, it didn't require additional hardware and worked with most monitors on the market.  It wasn't long until monitors all went Free-sync / G-sync compatible.  G-sync compatible was not the same as G-sync, it didn't have the hardware module, but good luck finding an actual g-sync monitor now.  Hardware companies learned that $50 more for a monitor means fewer buyers.

I've noticed a trend of proprietary tech entering the market, people claiming it's better, then open source tech catches up and the proprietary tech doesn't matter.  Nvidia has been the company pushing the envelope which means they keep their stuff proprietary.  When AMD comes along they open the market.  It will be interesting to see if Intel's competition means AMD keeps more stuff proprietary. 

• Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, Kaz said:

FSR is the reason I don't care about DLSS.  With my GTX 970 Cyberpunk was unplayable with default/low graphics settings, but with FSR enabled it was an enjoyable game.  That graphics card couldn't use DLSS.

Nvidia likes to lock their DLSS improvements to newer hardware.  That's why the 4060 is SO MUCH BETTERZ than the 3060 in charts, when in actuality, the hardware has very few improvements and is a downgrade with PCIE 3.0.  I don't need upscaling/smoothing for new hardware, I need it when the hardware is a little older...  When Nvidia users are locked out of newer DLSS versions, FSR is still available.  It's only a matter of time until the DLSS for current gen hardware is outdated, and FSR is a superior option.

What I've seen of FSR has been underwhelming compared to DLSS, but I admit my evidence is from others. Here is a picture showing all three vendors in Hitman 3. 

image.thumb.jpeg.83d5feae0c5f9e86122210d0df9403e4.jpeg

6 hours ago, TonyBombassolo said:

What I've seen of FSR has been underwhelming compared to DLSS, but I admit my evidence is from others. Here is a picture showing all three vendors in Hitman 3. 

image.thumb.jpeg.83d5feae0c5f9e86122210d0df9403e4.jpeg

I've used FSR a lot and the biggest difference I've seen is that FSR2 is not evenly effective across different games.

DLSS relies on machine learning profiles to be effective for each game. FSR2 is manually setup by the artists/dev so its quality is a lot more variable. I've seen games where FSR2 works extremely well, and ones where it doesn't work well at all. 

When it's well implemented, IMO it can be extremely close to DLSS quality. 

Good implementations: Ghostwire Tokyo, The Last of Us

Bad implementations: Cyberpunk, God of War

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

On 16/08/2023 at 12:31, Kaz said:

It's kind of like G-Sync/Free-sync.  G-Sync hit the market and required additional hardware on the monitor, which raised monitor prices by about $50.  When Free-sync hit the market, it didn't require additional hardware and worked with most monitors on the market.  It wasn't long until monitors all went Free-sync / G-sync compatible.  G-sync compatible was not the same as G-sync, it didn't have the hardware module, but good luck finding an actual g-sync monitor now.  Hardware companies learned that $50 more for a monitor means fewer buyers.

I've noticed a trend of proprietary tech entering the market, people claiming it's better, then open source tech catches up and the proprietary tech doesn't matter.  Nvidia has been the company pushing the envelope which means they keep their stuff proprietary.  When AMD comes along they open the market.  It will be interesting to see if Intel's competition means AMD keeps more stuff proprietary. 

Nvidia will always continue to push proprietary because... they can. They are the industry leader in graphics and if you want to play with the latest tools and features, you have to pay. I don't expect that to ever go away unless they start losing the race to competitors, which is unlikely for the next 5-10 years. 

28 minutes ago, TonyBombassolo said:

Yea, this was talked about a while ago. 

If the FSR2 implementation is good, not really a big deal. I suspect it will be since it's such a big game. Still a bit of a let down. I bet DLSS will be added via mods pretty quickly. 

• Respect 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

So not launching with Starfield like a lot of people thought, but still not far away. Pretty interested to see how it holds up. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

DF talks about seeing FSR3 in person. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1

Owned