Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Microsoft might release more games on PS5

UltraMega

Microsoft is planning to share details about its plans to bring Hi-Fi Rush and other Xbox exclusives to PS5 and Nintendo Switch consoles, according to sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans. Details of Microsoft’s multi-platform plans have been gradually leaking, with The Verge revealing over the weekend that the upcoming Indiana Jones game is being considered for PS5. Now, Microsoft is getting ready to outline the future of Xbox next week after a weekend of leaks and uncertainty for Xbox fans.

“We’re listening and we hear you,” says Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer in a post on X. “We’ve been planning a business update event for next week, where we look forward to sharing more details with you about our vision for the future of Xbox. Stay tuned.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/shopping/microsoft-to-share-details-on-bringing-xbox-games-to-playstation-next-week/ar-BB1hOSa5

Makes sense to me. Having a foot in every door has been a winning strategy for Microsoft; and they make money from selling games, not consoles. Sony puts their games on PC now so why not Microsoft games on Playstation. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Curious if Microsoft will remain a first party in the long term. They've never had the best traction in the hardware industry across all their divisions (PCs, mobile, consoles etc.). However, they never seem to give up either and I would be more surprised if they drop out than if they continue. 

I'd personally prefer if they developed an OS akin to the Steam OS on the Steam Deck (avoiding linux / proton translation) where its goal would be:

• Any Windows OS PC could run like a console.
    • E.g., all I need to do is hold down the Xbox button on the controller and it boots into a console like UI to make that experience more accessible like a console.

Steam tried it doing the whole package years ago (steam box) but it never took off. Steam OS on the deck however seems to be a really smart approach. If MS offered that within windows, and it's similar to Steam OS, but on any Windows device, it could be a smart play. As long as I can still access my Steam, GoG, EGS, Origin library there. Now if I have to buy my games exclusively through windows store, it'll never work (IMO).

I know consoles have dedicated hardware to help optimize games but with consoles now already so close to PC's I don't see this being farfetched. 

In the short term, all they really need to do is get game pass or any game they publish like the CoDs, Starfields etc., on as many consoles as possible. Sony and Nintendo dominate there so I can see the argument "if you can't beat em', join em' ". 

The only hardware I would like them to continue to make are controllers.

I don't think they need a new OS. Windows is actually lighter than ps5 and Xbox OS, at least the way they're designed to work. I think they should just release an Xbox PC, or an Xbox with windows on it. They could basically just make all their games PC games and release a target hardware pc and call it an Xbox. 

Lots of other rumors related to this lately. One rumor that Xbox could release a hand held console developed by the Surface team. Also rumors that a next gen Xbox will come out in 2026. 

I definitely don't see games being released in more places as a bad thing, but if Microsoft is losing money on Xbox... Gee maybe they shouldn't have bought Activision for 100 billion. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, UltraMega said:

I don't think they need a new OS. Windows is actually lighter than ps5 and Xbox OS, at least the way they're designed to work. I think they should just release an Xbox PC, or an Xbox with windows on it. They could basically just make all their games PC games and release a target hardware pc and call it an Xbox. 

Lots of other rumors related to this lately. One rumor that Xbox could release a hand held console developed by the Surface team. Also rumors that a next gen Xbox will come out in 2026. 

I definitely don't see games being released in more places as a bad thing, but if Microsoft is losing money on Xbox... Gee maybe they shouldn't have bought Activision for 100 billion. 

I agree that it doesn't need to be a NEW OS, but it should be more intuitive than desktop Windows. Otherwise, what's their proposition? It's just status quo. As a gamer who prefers PC, my biggest qualm is sitting at my PC on my free time. It sometimes feels like work and I generally prefer controller on the couch, but with the ability to tweak and mod my games. If Windows has a mode to make that experience streamlined for those who want it, I think it only help make PC gaming even more accessible (broader appeal). 

28 minutes ago, Slaughtahouse said:

I agree that it doesn't need to be a NEW OS, but it should be more intuitive than desktop Windows. Otherwise, what's their proposition? It's just status quo. As a gamer who prefers PC, my biggest qualm is sitting at my PC on my free time. It sometimes feels like work and I generally prefer controller on the couch, but with the ability to tweak and mod my games. If Windows has a mode to make that experience streamlined for those who want it, I think it only help make PC gaming even more accessible (broader appeal). 

Windows could definitely benefit from a "big picture mode" like Steam has so that it can be controlled with a controller for gaming purposes more easily. You can actually already sort of do this; if you press the xbox button on an xbox controller paired to a PC it will bring up the gamebar UI which can launch games, but it's not super intuitive in its current form. 

Since rumors of a PS5 pro seem pretty real at this point, I think it would be a good strategy for Microsoft to try to staple their console release next round so Sony can have their PS5 Pro and Microsoft can just have an even better console that won't keep up with PS6, but will get to market way sooner. I also think they should frame the next Xbox more as as PC/console hybrid like the Steam Deck but without being a handheld. They should keep their foot in the door as far as having something console like, but they should abandon the idea of making hardware that just plays games when it's already basically just PC hardware. 

A new Xbox running windows with a big picture mode like UI option that aimed to be fairly high end would be a good strategy IMO. Microsoft should target a higher end/more expensive segment of the market anyway IMO. They did well with the Xbox One X by being able to market it as the most powerful console at the time by far. I think they should just ditch the idea of a cheap console all together and aim for something in the $800+ range that would just blow whatever Sony has out of the water. I think the PC market is quite a bit bigger than the console market today, which means most gamers are already spending a lot more on hardware than a console costs. There is money being left on the table with no high end console options for people who prefer gaming on PC simply because of the extra power. Then gamers would choose between a Playstation and an Xbox in the same way they would choose between an Xbox Series S and X. You can pay less for a good enough console and get a playstation, or pay more and get the xbox that has more bells and whistles. Just having xbox and playstation be basically neck and neck in terms of hardware is kinda pointless IMO. They need to differentiate more. Let Sony be the every mans console, and xbox be the high end option that adds value by doubling as a fully functional PC. 

Then, if Microsoft did flesh out a big picture mode and get windows to work well as a gaming first platform for people who want that, they could explore the option of releasing more versions of gaming first devices. They could do a Surface gaming handheld, or just have 2-3 different tiers of target hardware platforms to act as console stand-ins. Microsoft really ought to leverage the power of windows and PCs better as a gaming platform, and just use that to compete with Sony rather than releasing an extremely similar console each time. 

Side note, I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion but I think they could charge more for game pass. I mean, I would prefer to pay a little more and get better games or just ensure they continue to release all their first party games on game pass once they have a bigger line-up with COD and all that. Game pass is pretty cheap, it's like half the price of netflix. I think game pass is only $11 a month right now. I'd prefer to pay $15 and ensure game pass has some good titles than pay less and have it suck. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Agreed 1

Owned

Full Rig Info