Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW,聽register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can:聽

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premiumto unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Disney's investment in Epic Games signals the company has to 'be there'

schuck6566

Feb 8 (Reuters) - In 2017, Epic Games was among a handful of companies selected to participate in Walt Disney's聽(DIS.N), opens new tab聽Accelerator incubator program, where the game company's founder held ambitions of incorporating the entertainment giant's well-known characters into his digital playground.

Now, Disney is making a much bigger bet that will make this possible.

Disney CEO Bob Iger on Wednesday聽announced a $1.5 billion investment聽aimed at letting consumers interact with stories and characters from Disney, Marvel, Pixar and Star Wars, on Epic's Fortnite, where 100 million players gather each month. It was an acknowledgement of the amount of leisure time Generation Alpha, Generation Z and millennials devote to gaming.

$1.5B seems like an insane amount to pay to get epic to make Disney themed Fortnite skins.聽

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

16 hours ago, UltraMega said:

$1.5B seems like an insane amount to pay to get epic to make Disney themed Fortnite skins.聽

Makes me wonder if they have an idea what the unreal engine license is gonna start costing the entertainment industry?

WWW.THEVERGE.COM

The change affects some non-game developers.

Disney uses the unreal engine for some of their projects.

Surely there is far more behind this. Considering all of the technologies forthcoming and those being combined (TinyML + VLM + curated precise LLM's) and the picture of the future looks rosy to me.聽聽

This infusion isn't a surface topical play much like most journalism is profound in these days.聽

And while I know no one personally on the inside of this deal, certainly someone sees the potential.聽

Outside of current entertainment - movies, music, games; will a聽new genre聽of entertainment be upon us in a few years?聽 (a la ... ready player one lol?)聽

4 hours ago, GanjaSMK said:

Surely there is far more behind this. Considering all of the technologies forthcoming and those being combined (TinyML + VLM + curated precise LLM's) and the picture of the future looks rosy to me.聽聽

This infusion isn't a surface topical play much like most journalism is profound in these days.聽

And while I know no one personally on the inside of this deal, certainly someone sees the potential.聽

Outside of current entertainment - movies, music, games; will a聽new genre聽of entertainment be upon us in a few years?聽 (a la ... ready player one lol?)聽

I think expect more Disney Meta verse stuff within Fortnite (E.g. Frozen x Fortnite, baby yoda skins etc.) and Disney diversifying their IPs across other developers. EA had a large stranglehold over Star Wars for the longest time. We got Star Wars Outlaws, Indiana Jones and the Great Circle coming out this year for starters (Ubisoft, Bethesda both working along side Lucas film /arts). Makes sense to keep pushing along with other large publishers and developers like Epic.聽

We've come full circle...聽

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9rLy30U4qNAkRilP9U-TOYuIYzY6BpCyDaFkCLSNiqk_4AVyu

Edited by Slaughtahouse
  • Thanks 1