Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

New multi-threading technique promises to double processing speeds

UltraMega

Researchers at the University of California Riverside developed a technique called Simultaneous and Heterogeneous Multithreading (SHMT), which builds on contemporary simultaneous multithreading. Simultaneous multithreading splits a CPU core into numerous threads, but SHMT goes further by incorporating the graphics and AI processors.

The key benefit of SHMT is that these components can simultaneously crunch away on entirely different workloads, optimized to each one's strength. The method differs from traditional computing, where the CPU, GPU, and AI accelerator work independently. This separation requires data transfer between the components, which can lead to bottlenecks.

Meanwhile, SHMT uses what the researchers call a "smart quality-aware work-stealing (QAWS) scheduler" to manage the heterogeneous workload dynamically between components. This part of the process aims to balance performance and precision by assigning tasks requiring high accuracy to the CPU rather than the more error-prone AI accelerator, among other things. Additionally, the scheduler can seamlessly reassign jobs to the other processors in real time if one component falls behind.

https://www.techspot.com/news/102016-new-multi-threading-technique-promises-double-processing-speeds.html

Finally we'll be able to run crysis. 

• Great Idea 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Premium Bronze
145 184

The description given, makes this sound like a 'no brain-er' technology. 
(One of those 'things' that was both long-wanted and inevitable, but never materialized due to technical limitations and other limiting factors)

(Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
One of the major reasons why even today's X86-based Consoles perform 'better for the given HW' is the in-built scheduling/task assignment. -Made 'easy-er' by the fixed configurations of each console's generation.

2 hours ago, LabRat said:

The description given, makes this sound like a 'no brain-er' technology. 
(One of those 'things' that was both long-wanted and inevitable, but never materialized due to technical limitations and other limiting factors)

(Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)
One of the major reasons why even today's X86-based Consoles perform 'better for the given HW' is the in-built scheduling/task assignment. -Made 'easy-er' by the fixed configurations of each console's generation.

I'm not hardware engineer but I think this is somewhat more dynamic that a typical scheduler. 

Spoiler

SHMT uses what the researchers call a "smart quality-aware work-stealing (QAWS) scheduler" to manage the heterogeneous workload dynamically between components. This part of the process aims to balance performance and precision by assigning tasks requiring high accuracy to the CPU rather than the more error-prone AI accelerator, among other things. Additionally, the scheduler can seamlessly reassign jobs to the other processors in real time if one component falls behind.

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

Premium Bronze
145 184
48 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

I'm not hardware engineer but I think this is somewhat more dynamic that a typical scheduler. 

Hide contents

SHMT uses what the researchers call a "smart quality-aware work-stealing (QAWS) scheduler" to manage the heterogeneous workload dynamically between components. This part of the process aims to balance performance and precision by assigning tasks requiring high accuracy to the CPU rather than the more error-prone AI accelerator, among other things. Additionally, the scheduler can seamlessly reassign jobs to the other processors in real time if one component falls behind.

That's what I was getting @:
From what I've observed PCs are 'too dynamic' in workloads and hardware configurations to (fully) optimize a scheduler 
(vs. a fixed-function, fixed-hardware Console or Industrial Appliance). As I recall, getting sub-tasks assigned to the correct hardware (at the right moment) is the crux with AAA Games'  performance/optimization.

Also IIRC, Msft eventually re-doing the Windows' thread scheduler retroactively uplifted old multi-core CPUs, like AMD FX.

Sounds to me like this could be quite (r)evolutionary, for all applications. Hopefully, technology like this will become standardized or at least normalized
(Rather than kept away from plebian consumers, as is and has been done w/ HBM, PCM, and multi-gig Ethernet)

• Great Idea 1