Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

How to fix drive ntfs permissions in powershell or cmd?

HeyItsChris
Go to solution Solved by ENTERPRISE,

My drives permissions became corrupt, and it's most likely because I got hacked.  A lot of folders are set as read only as well. 

It all happened as soon as I upgraded my memory with new modules, from 2x 16gb mushkin ddr3-1600 ecc reg buffered to 2x 32gb samsung ddr3-1866 ecc reg buffered.

So, may you suggest how to run this script without error?  It gave an error something about "subst.exe".  I get errors when running the script, how do I run it error free?  I'm currently running Hirens boot cd win11.

GITHUB.COM

Scans NTFS permissions and ensures that BUILTIN\Administrators and NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM have full control to every file and folder -...

I need to know the specific commands to do this please?

Edited by HeyItsChris

• Solution
1 hour ago, HeyItsChris said:

My drives permissions became corrupt, and it's most likely because I got hacked.  A lot of folders are set as read only as well. 

It all happened as soon as I upgraded my memory with new modules, from 2x 16gb mushkin ddr3-1600 ecc reg buffered to 2x 32gb samsung ddr3-1866 ecc reg buffered.

So, may you suggest how to run this script without error?  It gave an error something about "subst.exe".  I get errors when running the script, how do I run it error free?  I'm currently running Hirens boot cd win11.

GITHUB.COM

Scans NTFS permissions and ensures that BUILTIN\Administrators and NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM have full control to every file and folder -...

I need to know the specific commands to do this please?

Looks like subst.exe is related to the below and it is possible that either you have typed in a path incorrectly, or there is an issue with Subst on your OS. If that is the case then I would suggest doing a Windows File Repair and trying again.

LEARN.MICROSOFT.COM

Reference article for the subst command, which associates a path with a drive letter.

Failing that you may also want to try : 

LALLOUSLAB.NET

Update 04/30/2017: New version 1.2.0 released with Unicode support and lots of bug fixes! Download the reset permission tool from the download section below.  The post entitled “Resetting NTFS file…

Looks like a graphical interface for achieving the same results, at least on the surface. I would also look into Medicat to see if that tool has a tool for restoring NTFS file permissions.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Posted (edited)

@ENTERPRISE I think I got hacked, look at these & there is logs of everything in here.  What do you think?

AadRecoveryPasswordDelete

ClientRecoveryPasswordRotation

Check out this error I receive...

X:\>REM -- Check out the book: Batchography - The Art of Batch Files Programming

X:\>REM -- http://lallouslab.net/2016/05/10/batchography/

X:\>REM -- Temp script location: X:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\lallouslab\resetperm.bat

X:\>TITLE taking ownership of folder: C:\*

X:\>takeown /r  /SKIPSL  /f C:\*
'takeown' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

X:\>TITLE Taking ownership of folder: C:\*

X:\>icacls C:\* /T  /L  /Q /C /RESET
'icacls' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

X:\>TITLE Changing files attributes in folder: C:\*

X:\>attrib /s  -h -s C:\*

X:\>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

To fix it, I copied takeown.exe & icacls.exe from c:\windows\system32 to the directory root of ResetPermission.exe.

Now so far I have these errors on quite a few files.

X:\>REM -- Check out the book: Batchography - The Art of Batch Files Programming

X:\>REM -- Temp script location: X:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\lallouslab\resetperm.bat

The system cannot find the path specified. ( "C:\BIOS\Polaris BIOS\My Reference AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB\Modded BIOS\Game Stable but Topaz Labs Video Enhance Ai Unstable\1375mhz 1175mv set to 1175mv 1750mhz on 2000 timing strap 185W 185A 0 LSI Offset Adjust original bios dpm pstates offsets to 0 and fan profile 84c temp limit.rom" )

C:\BIOS\Polaris BIOS\My Reference AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB\Modded BIOS\Game Stable but Topaz Labs Video Enhance Ai Unstable\1375mhz 1175mv set to 1175mv 1750mhz on 2000 timing strap 185W 185A 0 LSI Offset Adjust original bios dpm pstates offsets to 0 and fan profile 84c temp limit.rom: The system cannot find the path specified.

Edited by HeyItsChris

16 hours ago, HeyItsChris said:

@ENTERPRISE I think I got hacked, look at these & there is logs of everything in here.  What do you think?

AadRecoveryPasswordDelete

ClientRecoveryPasswordRotation

Check out this error I receive...

'takeown' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

'icacls' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

X:\>TITLE Changing files attributes in folder: C:\*

X:\>attrib /s  -h -s C:\*

X:\>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

To fix it, I copied takeown.exe & icacls.exe from c:\windows\system32 to the directory root of ResetPermission.exe.

Now so far I have these errors on quite a few files.

The system cannot find the path specified. ( "C:\BIOS\Polaris BIOS\My Reference AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB\Modded BIOS\Game Stable but Topaz Labs Video Enhance Ai Unstable\1375mhz 1175mv set to 1175mv 1750mhz on 2000 timing strap 185W 185A 0 LSI Offset Adjust original bios dpm pstates offsets to 0 and fan profile 84c temp limit.rom" )

C:\BIOS\Polaris BIOS\My Reference AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB\Modded BIOS\Game Stable but Topaz Labs Video Enhance Ai Unstable\1375mhz 1175mv set to 1175mv 1750mhz on 2000 timing strap 185W 185A 0 LSI Offset Adjust original bios dpm pstates offsets to 0 and fan profile 84c temp limit.rom: The system cannot find the path specified.

With respects to the second set of errors you are getting regarding the .ROM file.  That directory is very long, not to mention that the .ROM file itself has a filename that may be too large to be processed correctly by TakeOwn, or it has an issue with the filename for some reason. I have seen this when when running commands in the past and I fixed it by removing all spaces in the command. I do not think that is the issue here but I am willing to bet that either the directory entered is incorrect or it hates that massive filename. 

Word of advice with filenames, short and sweet is best. Do not include descriptions in a filename if you can help it. If you need to add context to the file so you know what it is for or what it does, keep a small notepad file with it that can contain all the file specifics. 

With respect to this .ROM file you are trying to take ownership of, are you doing this to the file in its original location or have you tried copying off the drive OUTSIDE of a Windows environment and then tried to correct the permissions? You may have more success with taking it OUT of its original environment and then processing a TakeOwn. you may also find that simply taking out of its current environment resolves the permissions issue, I have seen this before.  

I would suggest making a copy of the file and using a Windows Live OS to resolve the permissions issue. Medicat has a Windows Live function which could help. 

Lastly, just to check, I assume you do not have a backup of these files ? If you did, it would be easier to restore them than mess around with the "broken" ones.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info