Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Ps5 Pro Announced

UltraMega

$700 seems too high. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

I might be in the minority but I think $700 is reasonable. Why I agree with the general sentiment (priced too high) is due to the lack of a killer app and the obvious omission. They’re skimping on the disk drive.

If you break it down, a console with a GPU near equivalent to a RX 7800 XT (+45% GPU per vs RX 6700 custom GPU) packed into a console with 2TB storage isn’t a bad deal. Especially if you predominantly play Playstation and have a large library.

I believe most people don’t feel compelled to upgrade after this announcement because the price is much closer to $800. If you’re upgrading mid gen, you’re likely an enthusiast, and if you want to take advantage of the performance boost… the main feature advertised, you likely need the disk drive. Since most enthusiasts tend to collect physical games.

Ignoring the disk drive / value proposition by assuming you’ve committed to digital on PS already, I don’t see what’s compelling to make the upgrade. You’re not getting anything exclusive. It’s just the fidelity mode, up to 60fps. That may be enough for people to jump in but the market seems low for this segment.

For the real cost for most enthusiasts, $800, you really can build a great value gaming PC and you’re unlocking the ability to more store fronts like Steam. Or alternatively you could buy a Steam Deck OLED or ROG Ally X.

I believe this was the time for Sony to flex a winter / early 2025 lineup to take advantage of the hardware of the PS5 Pro. Leaning into their existing library, and not making it entirely clear how noticeable the upgrades will be, I believe was a bad call.

TL;DR I think they need to simply include the disk drive and enthusiasts upgrading would accept the cost. Just my two cents.

• Respect 1

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
1.1k 538

Price is okay when you compare it to previous console releases adjusted for inflation.

PS1 - $611

PS2 - $546

PS3 - $778

PS4 - $583

PS4 Pro - $522

PS5 - $606

PS5 Pro - $699

It's not the cheapest, in fact it's the second most expensive, but it's in line with previous releases. What is a deal breaker is the lack of disc drive. Sony have removed DLC that I paid for. They've also removed content that people paid for pretty recently too. I don't trust them to go fully digital with games. I was looking forward to the PS5 Pro for Gran Turismo 7 and GTA 6. I can't trust Sony to allow me to buy those from the Sony store and then still have access to it 10 years later when the licenses expire. Or in the case of the DLC I bought for Gran Turismo 5, 5 years.

• Respect 3

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Price is okay when you compare it to previous console releases adjusted for inflation.

PS1 - $611

PS2 - $546

PS3 - $778

PS4 - $583

PS4 Pro - $522

PS5 - $606

PS5 Pro - $699

It's not the cheapest, in fact it's the second most expensive, but it's in line with previous releases. What is a deal breaker is the lack of disc drive. Sony have removed DLC that I paid for. They've also removed content that people paid for pretty recently too. I don't trust them to go fully digital with games. I was looking forward to the PS5 Pro for Gran Turismo 7 and GTA 6. I can't trust Sony to allow me to buy those from the Sony store and then still have access to it 10 years later when the licenses expire. Or in the case of the DLC I bought for Gran Turismo 5, 5 years.

Not a huge shift in your point but if you want to compare apples to apples PS5 to PS5 Pro, it’s probably worth comparing the original PS5 Digital console, which came out at $400 USD in 2020. Not sure what that is today with inflation but on paper, it appears as an 75% price increase.

Also worth noting, the difference in gpu power between the ps4 and ps4 pro was larger than the ps5 and ps5 pro. The ps4 went from targeting 1080p to targeting 4k. Both the ps5 consoles target 4k, one is just better at it. 

The issue is, without a CPU bump, I don't think this moves the needle on UE5 titles. They're still going to be CPU bound. I don't think the pro will be able to hit 60 fps without fsr frame gen in black myth.

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info

Not sure it warrants such a significant price increase lacking a disc drive. I have a disc console for bw compatibility, and RDR2 looks great on the OLED.

I don't need to see Arthur Morgans nose hairs in 60 fps 4k.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen R9 5900x 4.95GHz
GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ventus
RAM: G.skill FlareX DDR4 3733MHz 16-16-16-32-50 1T GDM on
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
CASE: anidees Ai Crystal Cube
PSU: OCZ ModXStream 550w
SSD/NVME: Samsumg 850 Evo 256GB
CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT
Full Rig Info

No price is not fine. In past gens didn't the Pro usually come in at the same MSRP as the console it was replacing? Here you are instead getting a $200 increase and for your trouble they are taking away your disk drive.

Not a good look or price imo. Definitely a money grab from the fact Xbox is floundering and probably Sony wanting to test the waters on what PS console buyers will tolerate for pricing.

Personally my newest consoles I own are a PS2 and a PS3, so in the end I don't really care, I'm not buying one, but just my observations.

Edited by Sir Beregond

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 CL14)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 42" C4 OLED
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: E8400, i5-650, i7-870, i7-960, i5-2400, i7-4790k, i9-10900k, i3-13100, i9-13900ks
GPU: many
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P7P55 WS SC | ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

I was sort of expecting the pro to come in at $600, maybe $650 and the base ps4 would get a price cut to $400-$450. That would have felt like a pretty big win. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, UltraMega said:

I was sort of expecting the pro to come in at $600, maybe $650 and the base ps4 would get a price cut to $400-$450. That would have felt like a pretty big win. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they offer more bundles / sales on the base models this holiday season but it seems the days of permanent price cuts are gone. I recall PS5 went down $50 USD last year for a short while. Especially as console sales are starting to dwindle down but they also raised the price of the digital, slim version to $450 USD.

The Series X went down to $350 USD and I believe I picked mine up for less than $400 USD with Diablo IV during the holidays.

I don’t expect the Pro to drop anytime soon. People are reacting as is expected but to the inflation point above, it’s really not all that crazy. Especially if you’re invested in the PS ecosystem.

I just wonder if they will show off any modes exclusive to PS5 Pro. Like a CP2077 / Alan Wake 30 FPS, PSSR Path Tracing mode. I suspect those types of upgrades will help it sell more than just current fidelity modes at “up to” 60 fps.

• Thanks 1

One thing I find a bit odd, the ps5 and the pro both have 16GBs of ram, but the pro has about 1.2GBs more ram available for games (some reserved for the OS). If they can have the pro reserve less ram for the OS, why not the base model too? 

• Agreed 2

Owned

Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
1.3k 792

I will not be getting the Pro if it doesn't have a disc drive. My games are all physical copies, mostly PS4 titles I missed out on like God of War and Uncharted 4 (I never had a PS4).

More importantly, I have Blu-ray movies and use the PS5 to play them. Even 1080p Blu Rays look fantastic on the PS5 on my OLED. They are vastly superior in quality to the movies I stream to Kodi.

I also have a PS3 in my entertainment stand that rarely gets used, I suppose I could use that for playing Blu-rays if a PS6 comes out with no disc drive. No idea how I would get my physical copies of games onto a driveless PS6.

Yes disc drives are old but for movie fans or collectors who prefer physical media, there is still a use. The companies don't care though.

Edited by neurotix