Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Xe-HPG is the Performance Gaming Graphics Architecture to Look Out for from Intel

axipher

Folding@Home Staff
729 373

Intel appears to have every intention of addressing the performance gaming segment with its Xe graphics architecture. According to information leaked to the web by VideoCardz, Xe-HPG (high performance gaming?) represents a product vertical dedicated to the gaming segment. Among the other verticals are Xe-HPC (high performance compute). The Xe-HPG graphics architecture is being developed for a 2021 market launch. It will feature all the client-segment staples, including a conventional PCI-Express interface, and GDDR6 memory instead of HBM. Intel may also eye DirectX 12 Ultimate logo compliance. Intel's Xe discrete GPU and scalar processor development is already de-coupled with Intel's foundry business development, and so the company could contract external foundries to manufacture these chips.

As for specs, it is learned that each Xe-HP "tile" (a silicon die sub-unit that adds up in MCMs for higher tiers of Xe scalar processors), features 512 execution units (EUs). Compare this to the Xe-LP iGPU solution found in the upcoming "Tiger Lake" processor, which has 96. Intel has been able to design scalar processors with up to four tiles, adding up to 2,048 EUs. It remains to be seen if each tile on the scalar processors also include the raster hardware needed for the silicon to function as a GPU. The number of tiles on Xe-HPG are not known, but it reportedly features GDDR6 memory, and so the tile could be a variation of the Xe-HP. Intel SVP and technology head Raja Koduri is expected to detail the near-future of Intel architectures at a virtual event later today, and Xe-HPG is expected to come up.

8mNOj0wOBS3hMY5r.jpg

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/270935/x...for-from-intel

Just when I though we did not have any more terminologies to learn to help indicate rough performance. I would like to see a third competitor enter the arena, if Intel was able to compete at some levels with AMD and Nvidia on a frequent basis then this could result in more favorable prices. I think though we are a little way off this though, even if Intel launched a super uber card on paper in 2021, we have no idea of its actual capabilities. Secondly as these guys are new to the GPU segment, I will hazard a guess that drivers will be a challenge for them at first, which we all know can simply kill a hardware lineup.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
729 373
Just when I though we did not have any more terminologies to learn to help indicate rough performance. I would like to see a third competitor enter the arena, if Intel was able to compete at some levels with AMD and Nvidia on a frequent basis then this could result in more favorable prices. I think though we are a little way off this though, even if Intel launched a super uber card on paper in 2021, we have no idea of its actual capabilities. Secondly as these guys are new to the GPU segment, I will hazard a guess that drivers will be a challenge for them at first, which we all know can simply kill a hardware lineup.

I'm not as worried about Intel on the driver front as you might be as they have been doing iGPU drivers for a long time along with hybrid driver implementations with Nvidia discrete GPU's in the mobile space alongside iGPU's.

Definitely looking forward to more competition though for sure.