Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Microsoft Edge Is Coming Out For Linux Next Month

axipher
1 Attachment

As part of a host of announcements for kicking off the virtual Ignite 2020 conference, Microsoft just confirmed they will be releasing their Edge web browser for Linux next month.

Microsoft previously said they were working to bring Edge to Linux while now we finally have a firm idea for when it will be publicly out: October. Microsoft bringing Edge to Linux comes as little surprise, however, as it's Chromium-based but fun to see Microsoft bringing it to Linux.

Source

More support for Linux from Microsoft.  It makes sense as the new Edge is Chromium which is already popular on Linux and for those Windows users who do enjoy the added customizations that Microsoft added can hopefully have a seamless experience across Windows and Linux like most Chrome and Chromium users already do.

What will be really interesting to see is how much of the Google back-end web services and other misc. Google stuff has been gutted from Chromium by Microsoft. 

I've been building and running ungoogled-chromium for some specific web tasks for the last few years.  If Microsoft hasn't replaced the Google sauce in Chromium with their own alternatives, Edge might make a good base for an unmicro-googled Chromium. ?

**Edit** Looks like they are just shipping the binary, so my unmicro-googled chromium fork won't happen. ☹️

Edited by tictoc

Wait does anybody not use Firefox on Linux?

~1900eur

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370-A
RAM: ADATA XPG Z1 32GB(2x16GB 2400C16)
PSU: Lepa MX-F1 600W
GPU: Palit StormX GTX 1060 6GB
SOUNDCARD: ASUS Xonar DGX
SSD/NVME: ADATA SX8200PRO 1TB
CPU COOLER: HyperX 212Turbo
Full Rig Info

39 minutes ago, xlen said:

Wait does anybody not use Firefox on Linux?

When I do boot up my Linux side, I normally just use Google Chrome if I need to do anything that uses Google Services, otherwise I use a regular Chromium build for general browsing and as default browser.

On 9/25/2020 at 3:20 PM, axipher said:

When I do boot up my Linux side, I normally just use Google Chrome if I need to do anything that uses Google Services, otherwise I use a regular Chromium build for general browsing and as default browser.

Eww, chromium and Chrome. Personally I don't get the appeal of using a browser that lacks some basic features, sells your data and markets all of the google ads out of your experience.

On 9/26/2020 at 5:28 AM, tictoc said:

Chromium for streaming sports, Firefox as the daily driver.

Why don't you use Firefox for that as well?

~1900eur

Owned

Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, xlen said:

Eww, chromium and Chrome. Personally I don't get the appeal of using a browser that lacks some basic features, sells your data and markets all of the google ads out of your experience.

Why don't you use Firefox for that as well?

Mainly because I have to enable a bunch of scripts and canvas elements, and my Firefox install is pretty locked down. 

14 hours ago, tictoc said:

Mainly because I have to enable a bunch of scripts and canvas elements, and my Firefox install is pretty locked down. 

Oh, well ok in that case makes sense.

~1900eur

Owned

Full Rig Info