Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Google’s Pixel 5 has a metal back, wireless charging and costs $699

Folding@Home Staff
727 371

After what felt like a thousand leaks, Google's flagship smartphone for 2020, the Pixel 5, is finally official. As we've been expecting, this phone doesn't feature top-of-the-line hardware and is instead more midrange, with a Snapdragon 765G SoC. If you've been following the leaks, the main news we were looking for today is the price, which is $699.

The specs include a 6-inch, 2340 x 1080 OLED display with a 90Hz refresh rate, a Snapdragon 765G SoC, 8GB of RAM, 128GB of storage, and a 4080mAh battery. The phone has wireless charging, 18W quick charging over USB-C, and IP68 dust and water resistance. There are two cameras on the back, a 12MP main camera which reportedly is the same sensor the Pixel line has been using for years, a second 16MP wide-angle lens, and an 8MP front camera.

878474705_googepixel5.thumb.jpg.907579d2bb816c2d4cb25c1e6ff680c1.jpg

Source

I'm really happy to see the Pixel 5 is coming back down to a high-end mid-range phone like the Nexus and Pixel lines originally set out to be.  Seems like Google is dropping some ot the right things from the Pixel 4 that just weren't what people wanted from the Pixel line-up.

IP68 is a nice increase over just IPX8, I still hate the notch camera though...

Also not sure on the speaker setup, I really like my Pixel 3 for its dual front stereo speakers for enjoying video on the go.

Today, Google is also announcing the "Pixel 4a with 5G" which is kind of a midway point between the Pixel 5 and 4a, even though it doesn't seem like there's much room between them to begin with. Start with the Pixel 5, give it a bigger, slower display (6.2-inch, 60Hz), less RAM, (6GB), a headphone jack, a slightly smaller battery (3800mAh), remove the wireless charging, give it a plastic back, and make it $499.

Then Pixel 4a with 5G seems like a nice compromise as well for those who want a 3-year support Android phone without all the bloatware and the Pixel Camera.  You also get a headphone jack on the 4a, so that's nice for some people who still want their phone to be their primary media player and don't want to deal with charging wireless headsets/earphones/earbuds/etc.

Agreed with your thoughts on the 5. Maybe if I had a phone with a notch camera that I used daily, I wouldn't mind it so much, but as it stands I think it would really bother me. I miss the front-facing speakers on my HTC M9 as well. Took up some real estate, but for even the somewhat rare times I would use speakers, they were worth it. Looked pretty good too.

Wasn't aware of the 4a, if I'm honest. I'm always thinking about a potential replacement for my Galaxy S8 since I know its time is ticking down, and my absolute requirement is a headphone jack. Looks like a nice option with that price tag. Never been super interested in much of the flagship-tier phone tech since I usually get the previous gen phones to save quite a bit on the cost anyways.

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML360R
MOTHERBOARD: [Asus] ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3600
SSD/NVME: [Western Digital] Black 512 GB NVMe SSD
SSD/NVME 2: [Team] 4x 1 TB 2.5" SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML240L
MOTHERBOARD: [MSI] MAG B550M Mortar Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3200
SSD/NVME: [Crucial] P2 500 GB NVMe SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 2 TB HDD
HDD 2: [Western Digital] Caviar Green 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
727 371
3 minutes ago, Supercrumpet said:

Agreed with your thoughts on the 5. Maybe if I had a phone with a notch camera that I used daily, I wouldn't mind it so much, but as it stands I think it would really bother me. I miss the front-facing speakers on my HTC M9 as well. Took up some real estate, but for even the somewhat rare times I would use speakers, they were worth it. Looked pretty good too.

Wasn't aware of the 4a, if I'm honest. I'm always thinking about a potential replacement for my Galaxy S8 since I know its time is ticking down, and my absolute requirement is a headphone jack. Looks like a nice option with that price tag. Never been super interested in much of the flagship-tier phone tech since I usually get the previous gen phones to save quite a bit on the cost anyways.

My Pixel 1 is still kept around the house for controlling Chromecast for guests and if friends are over with their kids and they want to play some random phone games.

My Pixel 3 is my current daily driver and getting 2.5 days of battery life.

I though I might look at the Pixel 5, but with no real new features or major camera upgrade, I think my Pixel 3 might be all I need for now.  The Pixel 5 should hopefully shake up the market a little bit though which is nice.