Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Motherboard makers offering new BIOSes for AMD 500 series motherboards

Folding@Home Staff
727 371

AMD promised to deliver broad support for its next-generation Zen3 processors to 500-series motherboards. The company has so far not confirmed if there are any plans to launch 600-series motherboards, but there is a strong belief that the 500 series might be, in fact, the last AM4 series.

AMD confirmed that Zen3 support will come to select 400 series motherboard. This is of course the fallout from AMD’s initial announcement that 400 series will not receive Zen3 support. The public outrage and confusion as to why a few month old B450 motherboards somehow cannot support next-gen CPUs had caused AMD to change this decision.

This week AMD confirmed that Zen3 support on 400 series will arrive with Beta firmware around January 2021. Motherboard makers have already confirmed that they are ready to support Zen3 CPUs and they are only waiting for proper BIOSes. Thus, we believe that AMD is artificially limiting support and the delay is unnecessary.

x570_image.thumb.jpg.da1d832d38481d5b79c96d16d3f852f6.jpg

Source

The source article has a great table of all the current BIOS updates for boards.

Most manufacturers have BIOD updated that include the required AGESA 1.0.8.0 to provide basic support for Ryzen 5000 series and MSI seems to be ahead of the game with AGESA 1.1.0.0 BIOS updates already.

No news yet on available Beta BIOS Updates from any of the motherboard board vendors yet.  It is some poor marketing to still be selling 400-series chipsets that won't support the 5000 series Ryzen CPU's, and lots of already 400-series owners might be a little annoyed about lack of official support, but there is still time for that to change by January 2021 if AMD and its partners can figure out a BIOS solution to give the basic support required for everyday users.

"Coming to select 400 series motherboards" Like I said last time, this o going to cause a decent amount of fragmentation.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff
727 371

We might get a Zen3+ that will only work on 500 even furthering that fragmentation, but then Zen4 might come out with DDR5 on a new AM5 socket.  I doubt they will do the whole AM3+ thing again at this point.

There were some pretty major changes from Zen1/+ to Zen 2 in the form of the I/O die being separated from the cores themselves which would definitely cause some pretty creative firmware writing.  AMD could have foreseen this with a little bit of thought and made sure all motherboards were using big enough BIOS ROM chips to support all the families, but they were probably thinking their market share was so small since Bulldozer that it would be okay to shift new products to newer chipsets only.

The fact that B550 took so long to come out though and B450 is still being sold doesn't help that case out though.

Hopefully AMD can figure something out and help all the motherboard vendors get high-quality "beta" BIOS's out for X470 at least, ideally for B550 as well so they can get a solid foothold.

It's also hard for me to be on the side of people who want 5000 support on 400 series.  They already have a 400 series board with a 2000 or 3000 series CPU, most of them are looking to spend money on just a new CPU which I totally get, but then what about the old CPU?  Is that just e-waste now?  Hard to sell just an old CPU like that.  I feel that long lived sockets like this kind of contribute to e-waste a lot more than they should, but that's personal opinion and haven't really looked up the percentage of e-waste that is just single CPU's.

Personally feels weird to me that one would upgrade a CPU every year. But hey that's just me.

So if I buy a 500-series motherboard in say Feb/March next year for a Zen 3 build, they should have the BIOS to run it?

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
38 16

They have the BIOS to run it now. So provided the site you order from had it's stock roll over between now and then, yes.

If no one ordered anything and you're getting stock from July, then no.

Worst case you can always email your vendor and ask when they got the latest shipment of whatever board you want to buy, or you can email AMD and they'll send you a cheap APU to upgrade BIOS with and return.

• Thanks 1

This is interesting. 
I recall I saw some documentation where mobo manufacturers 'colluded' with a chip maker than shall not be named and asked them to change sockets more often in order to launch new products. They claimed it is cheaper to make a new mobo rather than offer support for multiple years. 

I am happy to see buying the best and latest is optional and not mandatory. 

€ Press F

Owned

CPU: Rocket Lake 11900K
MOTHERBOARD: MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME GLACIAL
RAM: G-SKILL ROYAL
PSU: DARK POWER PRO 12 - 1200W
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 TI Founder's Edition
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 PRO (PCIE 4)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 980 PRO (PCIE 4)
SSD/NVME 3: WD Black (Courtesy of TicToc!)
Full Rig Info

14 hours ago, KyadCK said:

They have the BIOS to run it now. So provided the site you order from had it's stock roll over between now and then, yes.

If no one ordered anything and you're getting stock from July, then no.

Worst case you can always email your vendor and ask when they got the latest shipment of whatever board you want to buy, or you can email AMD and they'll send you a cheap APU to upgrade BIOS with and return.

Good to know thanks!

Yeah I am coming from a 4790k and planning for Zen 3 early next year so was worried if I needed to do a BIOS update, not like I have a Zen 2 part lying around.

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey