Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

[Apple] Apple iPhone 12

Is there anything note worthy here or is it just slightly faster, more pixels, same old same old... Anything to discuss here beyond the standard generation to generation improvements? 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

I see no incentive to upgrade from my 512 GB XS Max. 

€ Press F

Owned

CPU: Rocket Lake 11900K
MOTHERBOARD: MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME GLACIAL
RAM: G-SKILL ROYAL
PSU: DARK POWER PRO 12 - 1200W
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 TI Founder's Edition
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 PRO (PCIE 4)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 980 PRO (PCIE 4)
SSD/NVME 3: WD Black (Courtesy of TicToc!)
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Huzzug said:

When did generation to generation improvements become not news worthy? 

It's news worthy, but is there anything note worthy that we wouldn't already expect? Generational phone improvements have gotten to be pretty insignificant so I'm asking if there is anything that stands out about the 12? 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

47 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

It's news worthy, but is there anything note worthy that we wouldn't already expect? Generational phone improvements have gotten to be pretty insignificant so I'm asking if there is anything that stands out about the 12? 

I like the new design and the fact that the less expensive iPhone now has an AMOLED display with a much greater resolution. Plus 5G will be pretty cool eventually I guess...

Edited by rares495

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI X670E Carbon
GPU: MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X Trio
RAM: Corsair 2x32GB @6000 MT/s 28-36-36-28-30-58 1T
SSD/NVME: Kingston Fury Renegade 1 TB
SSD/NVME 2: Kingston Fury Renegade 4 TB
PSU: Super Flower Leadex V Pro Gold 1000W
CASE: be quiet! Silent Base 802
Full Rig Info

5 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Is there anything note worthy here or is it just slightly faster, more pixels, same old same old... Anything to discuss here beyond the standard generation to generation improvements? 

New smaller model, all of them have OLED screens now, all of them have a higher screen to body ratio, the magsafe wireless charger to get optimum wireless charging, even the cheaper model has 5G, the Pro models have LiDAR, the Pro Max model has sensor stabilisation instead of lens stabilisation and the A14 CPU is meant to be more powerful than any CPU available in any of the current MacBook Pros.

On the surface, it doesn't look like much has changed, but quite a bit has. Apple have been doing "tick tock" updates with their phones since the 3G.

3GS is the 3G with slight improvements. 4 was entirely new, 4S is the 4 with slight improvements. 5 was entirely new, 6S was the 5 with slight improvements. 6 was entirely new, 6S was the 6 with slight improvements. 7 was entirely new, 8 was the 7 with slight improvements. XR was entirely new, 11 was the XR with slight improvements. 12 is entirely new, 12S/13 or whatever naming scheme they go for is probably going to be the 12 with slight improvements.

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
38 16
5 hours ago, Andrew said:

New smaller model, all of them have OLED screens now, all of them have a higher screen to body ratio, the magsafe wireless charger to get optimum wireless charging, even the cheaper model has 5G, the Pro models have LiDAR, the Pro Max model has sensor stabilisation instead of lens stabilisation and the A14 CPU is meant to be more powerful than any CPU available in any of the current MacBook Pros.

On the surface, it doesn't look like much has changed, but quite a bit has. Apple have been doing "tick tock" updates with their phones since the 3G.

3GS is the 3G with slight improvements. 4 was entirely new, 4S is the 4 with slight improvements. 5 was entirely new, 6S was the 5 with slight improvements. 6 was entirely new, 6S was the 6 with slight improvements. 7 was entirely new, 8 was the 7 with slight improvements. XR was entirely new, 11 was the XR with slight improvements. 12 is entirely new, 12S/13 or whatever naming scheme they go for is probably going to be the 12 with slight improvements.

Heck of a claim saying their 2+4 CPU is going to be faster than a 2.4Ghz+ 8c/16t, but I guess that's what an asterisk and fine print are for.

I guess we'll find out when it's actually available in a product that can be benchmarked more easily than a phone, but makers of ARM CPUs have been trying (and failing abysmally) to claim the performance crown from x86 for a while. Is it really winning when you intentionally handicap your competition so heavily?

That said it makes perfect sense for Apple to unify their hardware given their walled garden. There is a lot to say about efficiency of code when you're writing for one platform, and the ability to include dedicated accelerators when you are not at the whims of anyone else.

58 minutes ago, KyadCK said:

Heck of a claim saying their 2+4 CPU is going to be faster than a 2.4Ghz+ 8c/16t, but I guess that's what an asterisk and fine print are for.

I guess we'll find out when it's actually available in a product that can be benchmarked more easily than a phone, but makers of ARM CPUs have been trying (and failing abysmally) to claim the performance crown from x86 for a while. Is it really winning when you intentionally handicap your competition so heavily?

That said it makes perfect sense for Apple to unify their hardware given their walled garden. There is a lot to say about efficiency of code when you're writing for one platform, and the ability to include dedicated accelerators when you are not at the whims of anyone else.

Apple have the added advantage of everything being in-house now. They can make the software optimized a lot better than Windows/Android ever could. A bit like how you have consoles that have really weak hardware but PC standards but they're still able to push games like RDR2 at 4K 30fps.

We will just have to wait and see if those performance claims are true.

Edited by Andrew

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB