Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Hoarding PC parts... (Or "I might NEED this again someday...")

schuck6566

Going through a box,I ran across some interesting things.

#1 Try AOL 90 DAY RISK FREE!  (Disk is still sealed in the envelope with the code for me AND a friend on the back!) lol

#2 Getting Started Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (Product key is on the book)

#3 ATI Radeon X1300 Pro Agp graphics card.(This is gonna blow the new nvidia cards outta the water,I can just FEEL it!)

This isn't even my oldest stuff. I DID let the agp dial up modem go. :)

Feel free to list some of your back of the shelf items!

I still have an Athlon Xp 2000 and whatever ASUS motherboard it's sitting in with 1GB of DDR333, a Soundblaster Live and an Ati 9700 Pro.  I guess that's my oldest hardware.  I have lots of old CD's including: Fallout 1 & 2, the original Tomb Raider, Quake and Final Doom.  There may still be games on floppy in my parents garage.

• Thanks 1

Is that really hoarding or just having enough space and not enough motivation to toss it?

I usually sell off an old part as soon as I'm done with it if it's worth anything, or else I'll take it to my local electronics recycler. If it's something that can be put away in a closet and not take up valuable space, I might forget about it for years. Generally though, I don't keep many PC parts around. A couple of years ago, I took an old Socket A Albatron motherboard and Athlon XP-M 2400+ to the recyclers. They also rebuild and resell computers, so I figured it wouldn't go to waste. I think I may still have the Thermalright heatsink for it though.

I have 3.5" floppy disks and Zip disks in a couple of boxes that I haven't opened in years. I also have an 80 GB and a 160 GB Western Digital IDE drive that I can't be bothered to hook up with my SATA-IDE adapter because I just don't care, but I need to wipe them before getting rid of them.

I also have a spare Chaintech AV-710 sound card. I'm not sure why I bought two of them years ago, but I did. They only cost me about $15 each at the time.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

lol, in my case,kinda hoarding. I have a few WD 20Gb ide drives that each have XP sp3 installed on them a friend gave me when they upgraded the comps @ the college he was working at.I have some floppies but no drive for them,8 & 16 Mb video cards still sitting in a bin with some modems and other parts.And that's just off the top of my head.? I also rebuild old comps & give them away,but I try to upgrade them as much as possible,so most of the parts sitting around probably need to be recycled.I just need to work up the get go.?

Hmm probably topic of the month. 

I still have in my storage area : 

1. Pentium 4 Northwood System

2. Pentium 4 Prescott System

3. AMD Barton System with an Asus Deluxe that caught fire. 

4. Modems/Routers : alcatel, to zyxel to Netgear to TPLINK and my latest FritzBox. 

5. Computer screens : 14 inch LCDs to 27 inch ones (there are 7 of them). 

6. Printers : I have 4 in total with just one being used. 

7. Keyboards : Original Cherry white gray, a few HP ones, a few logitech ones, and a bunch of Razer. 

8. Cables : Lost track but from Floppy to Sata 6. 

9. GPUS : MX 440, ATI 9700, 8800 GT, AMD 5870, AMD 4890XXX, AMD 270x, AMD 280X

10. Coolers : My Northwood and Prescott had an interesting tunnel cooler from coolermaster. I got some Thermalright TRUE and a bunch of Noctua in storage as well. 

I will need these one day :)

Edited by Mistio

€ Press F

Owned

CPU: Rocket Lake 11900K
MOTHERBOARD: MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME GLACIAL
RAM: G-SKILL ROYAL
PSU: DARK POWER PRO 12 - 1200W
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 TI Founder's Edition
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 PRO (PCIE 4)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 980 PRO (PCIE 4)
SSD/NVME 3: WD Black (Courtesy of TicToc!)
Full Rig Info

7 hours ago, Mistio said:

Hmm probably topic of the month. 

I still have in my storage area : 

1. Pentium 4 Northwood System

2. Pentium 4 Prescott System

3. AMD Barton System with an Asus Deluxe that caught fire. 

4. Modems/Routers : alcatel, to zyxel to Netgear to TPLINK and my latest FritzBox. 

5. Computer screens : 14 inch LCDs to 27 inch ones (there are 7 of them). 

6. Printers : I have 4 in total with just one being used. 

7. Keyboards : Original Cherry white gray, a few HP ones, a few logitech ones, and a bunch of Razer. 

8. Cables : Lost track but from Floppy to Sata 6. 

9. GPUS : MX 440, ATI 9700, 8800 GT, AMD 5870, AMD 4890XXX, AMD 270x, AMD 280X

10. Coolers : My Northwood and Prescott had an interesting tunnel cooler from coolermaster. I got some Thermalright TRUE and a bunch of Noctua in storage as well. 

I will need these one day :)

rotfl, I finally forced myself to toss a running p4 Willamette system 2 years ago (after pulling the rdram sticks)because I couldn't convince myself I'd find a use for it when there were a pair of core2duo systems sitting next to it like "why are we with this geriatric case..." I didn't list all the different cables 'cause I'd still be sorting them.?

• Thanks 1

I got so much useless PC stuff.... not gonna get rid of them though, dunno why.

Stuff like:

- IDE cables

- CCFL lights

- 20 to 24 pin ATX converters.

- VGA cables

- CD rom drives

- Sub 350W PSU's

- ATI 3850 GPU

- A ATI AGP GPU

- DDR2 RAM

- etc etc.

Boxes and bags full of stuff, some useful parts to but we are only mentioning useless stuff here :) 

Edited by Farih

9 hours ago, Farih said:

I got so much useless PC stuff.... not gonna get rid of them though, dunno why.

Stuff like:

- IDE cables

- CCFL lights

- 20 to 24 pin ATX converters.

- VGA cables

- CD rom drives

- Sub 350W PSU's

- ATI 3850 GPU

- A ATI AGP GPU

- DDR2 RAM

- etc etc.

Boxes and bags full of stuff, some useful parts to but we are only mentioning useless stuff here :) 

lol,some things outta your list I still use, IDE cable,VGA cable, cd rom,using a 290w psu in a system as we speak(compact),I BELIEVE it's a ati 3650 that I'm using in a dell with a p4 cpu. DDR2 ram in 4 systems. They're all running Windows 10 is the sick part. ? Maybe not the speediest,but for basic browsing,they get by.

...I was going to go into detail about those 30+ functional GPUs (not counting pre-DX11), but..

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

I have two laptops in addition to my workstation, so I'm thinking that probably contributes to why I've never felt the need to keep around parts for another system. I used to keep around an extra GPU (first a GTX 560, then a GTX 760) for an eGPU setup to use with one of my laptops several years ago for a gaming HTPC. After I got a newer laptop, I got rid of the extra GPU as well. Now the newest of my laptops has an RTX 2060, so I'm clearly done with eGPUs too.

I can't even claim to use the desktop computer I built for my parents as a parts dumping ground anymore because their build is newer than mine. I put together a Skylake build for them five years ago with a Core i3-6100 on an ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1 motherboard. The only hand-me-downs in that machine now are my old SeaSonic S12-380 380W PSU from something like 12-15 years ago and one of my old 500 GB SATA hard drives as an external backup drive.

I do have a box of old-ass cables that need to be sorted through though. A few months ago, my neighbor asked me if I had a spare VGA cable he could borrow for a few days. I did, and for all I care, he can keep it. I think there's a 15' USB 2.0 A-B cable, a few CAT5 or 5a cables, and a couple of older HDMI 1.x cables in there as well, but probably nothing that uses obsolete connectors that can't work with newer hardware at the older revision's throughput. However, I know I won't be using any of it again, so I'll have to go through those soon and take another haul to the electronics recycler.

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G