Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

ASRock x570 Taichi wrong installed CPU power connector

Bastiaan_NL

My brother has ordered the Ryzen 5950x with an ASRock x570 Taichi board, 32gb ram, a new m.2 ssd and a Corsair RM850x for his new build, and we've started building the system today. He already had the GPU and some SSD's and the rest is new. 

I noticed something was off with the 4 pin female CPU power connector next to the 8 pin connector on the board, it was turned 90° to the left. I own the exact same motherboard and on my board it's in the same orientation as the 8 pin.

Now the next part might be a bit stupid, but I was assuming that they may have had a good reason to change the orientation of the connector. It never crossed my mind that it was a mistake, so we continued with the build. 

After finishing everything and connecting a monitor, mouse and keyboard I switched the PSU on and the motherboard lit up with the RGB. I pressed the power button and all that happened was a mild click from the PSU and nothing else, the RGB was still on. First I thought it had something to do with the bios being too old for the 5950x, but that click and no number/code on the led display made me think twice. I disconnected the 4 pin cable leaving only the 8 pin connected and it booted without a problem.

Here is a picture from both the 8 pin and the 4 pin connector.
20201205_212124.thumb.jpg.67ed33e74a6ec5fe4671e379ead537f6.jpg

If the connections under the connector are the same as on my board, it will directly short 12v to GND. That's why the PSU was clicking and nothing happened (let's hope so).

After removing the 4 pin and leaving only the 8 pin connector installed I checked the CPU and RAM in the bios, everything was up to spec. If anyone has an idea what would be a good test once we've rebuild this system to make sure that nothing has happened to the CPU and RAM, please let me know. I personally think that everything should be okay, because there was a direct short between the 12V and the GND on the GND "rail", but just to be sure...

We installed his GPU and other SSD's back into his old pc, and we'll return the board as soon as possible. 

Edited by Bastiaan_NL

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

• Bastiaan_NL changed the title to ASRock x570 Taichi wrong installed CPU power connector
Folding@Home Staff
727 371

The power supply seems to have acted correctly in preventing a short from happening, so no parts should have gotten damaged.  If the motherboard has some onboard fuses for those power connectors, there's a chance that 4-pin might actually just be useless now.

The 4-pin is also optional as I'm sure you may know, so unless you plan to do some crazy overclocking, you should be fine without it.

Personally though, I would definitely get the board replaced before it has the chance to do any damage, it sucks to have to wait for a new motherboard though :(

• Thanks 1

Good call on returning the board. 

I would have done the same. 

€ Press F

Owned

CPU: Rocket Lake 11900K
MOTHERBOARD: MAXIMUS XIII EXTREME GLACIAL
RAM: G-SKILL ROYAL
PSU: DARK POWER PRO 12 - 1200W
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 TI Founder's Edition
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 PRO (PCIE 4)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 980 PRO (PCIE 4)
SSD/NVME 3: WD Black (Courtesy of TicToc!)
Full Rig Info

21 hours ago, axipher said:

The power supply seems to have acted correctly in preventing a short from happening, so no parts should have gotten damaged.  If the motherboard has some onboard fuses for those power connectors, there's a chance that 4-pin might actually just be useless now.

The 4-pin is also optional as I'm sure you may know, so unless you plan to do some crazy overclocking, you should be fine without it.

Personally though, I would definitely get the board replaced before it has the chance to do any damage, it sucks to have to wait for a new motherboard though :(

I agree that the 4 pin is optional, but I refuse to use this board in it's current state. And I don't think we'll be overclocking the CPU at all, he should be fine with how it is :classic_smile:
Waiting for that board to return sucks indeed, and as much as I like building computers, having to do it all again for this reason isn't fun either.

20 hours ago, Mistio said:

Good call on returning the board. 

I would have done the same. 

Yeah, who knows what else is wrong with the board. 

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

That sucks man, looks like the machine somehow goofed that one up. Good to hear you put it in the RMA pile. Not that it should matter how much you pay for a product...but with the cost of some components these days any fault should not be tolerated.

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info