Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

EHW Headphone / Earphone Club

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
6 hours ago, Kaz said:

I got about 20% though the BOM and decided screw it, and just bought a kit.  A smarter man would have written a program to find all the parts.  Overall I'm not sure I saved much/anything from buying a pre-built, but it was fun to build. 

Yeah, I get you (I've been around a while 😉 ) .

That said, just in case you're not familiar with BOM tools that are available these days and/or you'd ever like/need to use them again:  Things have improved vastly since days long past as far as creating and managing BOMs are concerned. Both DigiKey and Octopart have tools you can use to create BOMs, find available parts, at the best pricing. There are likely a number of variations on those as well, but Octopart and Digikey (primarily Octopart) are what I've been using:

Octopart BOM Tool (accounts are free)

Also see the following links for more info about (e.g.) Octopart's BOM tool (there's plenty of explanatory info):

Youtube search returns

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=octopart+bom+tool

Google search returns

https://www.google.com/search?q=octopart+bom+tool

Let me know if you'd like to know more.

Edited by iamjanco
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iamjanco said:

That said, just in case you're not familiar with BOM tools that are available these days and/or you'd ever like/need to use them again:  Things have improved vastly since days long past as far as creating and managing BOMs are concerned. Both DigiKey and Octopart have tools you can use to create BOMs, find available parts, at the best pricing. There are likely a number of variations on those as well, but Octopart and Digikey (primarily Octopart) are what I've been using:

Thanks!  I haven't used BOM tools before.  That would have made things much easier!  The manufacturing websites were a nightmare to navigate for a large list of parts.  I hadn't thought of using a tool, and probably wouldn't think of it until I sat down and started writing my own script, that's about when I would think  "gee, I wonder if anyone else has done this before."

• Respect 1