Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

How to lock clocks on evga 3090?

Odyn

Like the title says, I'm not trying to boost lock - rather I'm trying to set a constant clock of lets say 1100 on the GPU clock. I've tried to do it in MSI Afterburner using CRTL + F, then hitting L at the proper offset but I think the evga BIOS prevents afterburner from modifying certain settings (like voltage control for example). 

18 minutes ago, Odyn said:

Like the title says, I'm not trying to boost lock - rather I'm trying to set a constant clock of lets say 1100 on the GPU clock. I've tried to do it in MSI Afterburner using CRTL + F, then hitting L at the proper offset but I think the evga BIOS prevents afterburner from modifying certain settings (like voltage control for example). 

If it's an EVGA card, use X1, has a boost lock option.  I don't understand, you say you aren't trying to boost lock, but it seems you are. 

Boost.thumb.jpg.19a3767862035c35b3b4ed8c67146d17.jpg

Edited by Avacado

Just now, Avacado said:

If it's an EVGA card, use X1, has a boost lock option. 

Boost.thumb.jpg.19a3767862035c35b3b4ed8c67146d17.jpg

I don't want to *boost* lock though, I want to frequency lock. I'm clocked at -300 and as you can see my clocks are variable (i enabled the lock before i opened gpuz):
image.thumb.png.d7be726470320f218862605a0c7c9776.png

8 minutes ago, Odyn said:

I don't want to *boost* lock though, I want to frequency lock. I'm clocked at -300 and as you can see my clocks are variable (i enabled the lock before i opened gpuz):
image.thumb.png.d7be726470320f218862605a0c7c9776.png

Yea, I get it, you are mining. Boost lock is the exact same thing as frequency lock. and I have never come across any software that is 100% locking. You are always going to have some variation. 

Please be more specific with what you are trying to do here, give background. Are you mining and..... what is happening to require this "Need"? Ask your real question. 

1 minute ago, Avacado said:

Yea, I get it, you are mining. Boost lock is the exact same thing as frequency lock. and I have never come across any software that is 100% locking. You are always going to have some variation. 

Please be more specific with what you are trying to do here, give background. Are you mining and..... what is happening to require this "Need"? Ask your real question. 

I dunno how else to state it -- I want to lock the frequency at a certain clockspeed. Thats it. Boost lock doesn't seem to be doing it -- when I had my 1080ti I could force, through MSI afterburner, the clock to stay at an exact level I set. 

There is no other question or circumstance. I just want it. I'm not crashing, I'm not getting errors, nothing bad is happening... I want to lock my clockspeed like I used to be able to do using MSI.

Hmmm, yea I don't know. I have never had a lock be 100% all the time, but usually very close. I don't know exactly how much variation you are getting. I see the graph, but don't know what the range looks like for you. If MSI or X1 don't work, I wouldn't even begin to know where to direct you. Sorry :(

1 hour ago, Odyn said:

I dunno how else to state it -- I want to lock the frequency at a certain clockspeed. Thats it. Boost lock doesn't seem to be doing it -- when I had my 1080ti I could force, through MSI afterburner, the clock to stay at an exact level I set. 

There is no other question or circumstance. I just want it. I'm not crashing, I'm not getting errors, nothing bad is happening... I want to lock my clockspeed like I used to be able to do using MSI.

...you might be able to do it via the voltage curve option in MSI AB after all, using the curve in the coordinate table to locate the voltage corresponding to the clocks you want, then limiting the max voltage to that. > Here is more on that process, though keep in mind that that write-up is for maxing GPU clocks...steps to limit clock via voltage curve adjustments operate on the same principle of modding the curve though.

One thing to keep in mind is that NVidia boost algorithms (especially the recent ones) are also highly affected by GPU temps (and thus indirectly by ambient with your setup). The other factor would be power limits and max-voltage but those wouldn't come into play if you restrict the voltage and thus also MHZ rather than push it. Finally, with the MS AB curve mod, you still have to have worked out beforehand which 'clock' in the table corresponds to actual clock with boost on top. So voltage is the only locking tool I can think of...

Edited by J7SC_Orion
  • Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

• 2 weeks later...