Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Evolution of Flying Dutchman into Valkyrie (long term project 3-6 month)

Good day all,

Please don't judge to in creating first thread in this build section,

But you know.... I totally wanted to be first

I was thinking of holding of on posting it, but the more i go down the rabbit hole, the more questions arises

So in a nutshell what I am blah blah blah on about here, and whats with names

I am a huge fan of Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson and narrated by RC Bray

Last year I made Flying Dutchman, if anyone interested, it can be found on the old platform ?

But in nutshell, it was something new to me, My last build was in TH10 so ton of space and I have almost unlimited budget in the beginning,

So last year I decided to gave myself a challenge, to cram as much power as I can into small  case and do a water loop in it

I ended up with Ryzen 9 3950x, Titan Xp, 32Gb ram and Aorus x570-i mitx board in Lian Li TU 150 with dual rad and stainless steel tubes.

As much Fun as it was, GPU age is starting to show and case end up bigger that I was expecting over course of the year.

Mind you before I had laptop with eGPU attached

So fast forward to 2021, I got really lucky with some of my investments and I was able to set relatively big budget for my hobbies.

I did pick up new Audio setup, new headphones, new monitor. and with all of this being on my desk, my PC is taking way to much space.

Scope of the project:

To maintain same idea: To Cramp as much power as I can and be able to cool it over course of long loads

The entire project must not sacrifice any performance and outperform old rig in all aspects

The Rig on Table:
Lian-Li TU 150 Black with window, custom wrapped in carbon vinyl
Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO mITX
AMD Ryzen 3950x
Nvidia Titan Xp (Thank You LMG for it)
Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 Dual Channel Kit
Samsung 840 1TB SSD

Samsung 860 2TB SSD

WD 750 Nvme 1TB SSD

Rocket Q1 Nvme 1TB SSD
Corsair SF750

Cooling

2 Noctua A12x15mm fans

1 Corsair QL 120mm

Scythe Kaze  12mm

Alphacool 120mm 40mm xflow rad

XSPC 240mm 20mm xflow rad

XSPC stainless steel tubes

Barrowch fittings

Bykski waterblock with temp sensor

Watercool Heatkiller IV Plexi Copper for 1080/Titan

EKWB flat 120mm Res with D5 pump

Misc

Corsair Commander Pro

Corsair LED strips

LED PCIe power cable

Rig To be made

Ncase M1 (should be arriving this week)

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact (purchased)

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x (purchased)

Gigabyte RTX 3080 Xtreme <---This is HUGE (purchased)

Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 Dual Channel Kit (debating of switching to G.Skill 64gb)

Samsung 840 1TB SSD Transfer from old rig

Samsung 860 2TB SSD Transfer from old rig

WD 750 Nvme 1TB SSD Transfer from old rig

Rocket Q1 Nvme 1TB SSD Transfer from old rig

Corsair SF750 with custom length cables Transfer from old rig/ordered

Cooling this entire section is still to be purchased

2x NF-A12x15 PWM chromax.black.swap

2x NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap

EKWB 240mm rad 38mm for side

XSPC 240mm 20mm for bottom (might transfer old xflow)

Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper X-Flow 80mm 40mm (possible installation still debating if it is possible to do so)

Alphacool fittings

Alphacool AlphaTube TPV 16/10

Watercool HEATKILLER® IV PRO (processor) BLACK COPPER  ( I want this model specifically, I might need to pay to ship it from EU)

EK-Quantum Vector Xtreme RTX 3080/3090 D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi to be released on July 1

I will try to reuse original backplate

Thermal Grizzly pads for GPU and SSD

Thermal Grizzly Liquid metal for all blocks

Iceman res with DDC 3.2 pump for ncase m1 (it goes outside of the case)

I hope this wall of text will help some of you navigate with my thought process and ideas behind entire process

I attached some pictures of Flying Dutchamn

IMG_20200526_163513.jpg

IMG_20200502_010031.jpg

IMG_20200424_010010.jpg

20210604_225133.jpg

Edited by Joe__Bishop
update
  • Thanks 1

So my current questions and things I will need help with

I am currently looking into deliding cpu and either use custom copper IHS from RockIt Cool

Or as @Avacado suggested to do direct die cooling. My issue is, I can't find transfer kit for 5900x as I don't want to rest entire block on just die itself

Other question, I am looking getting back into StarCitizen and I was wondering if it worth upgrading to 64 GB

G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 64GB(2 x32GB) DDR4 3600Mhz for about 400 USD

New build will not be focused at all on RGB, I want to maintain entire black scheme

My current order of watercooling has two directions with several branches.

Iceman  to CPU to EKWB rad (big rad) to GPU to XSPC small rad to Iceman <--- this gives most cooling to gpu but lacks heat removal

Iceman to GPU to EKWB rad to GPU to XSPC to  Iceman <--- this removes bigest heat from loop right away, but leaves residual  from CPU

Iceman to GPU to EKWB rad to GPU to Alpha cool mini rad to XSPC to  Iceman <---this is branch of last loop but gives just tiny bit extra cooling

Iceman to GPU to XSPC rad  to EKWB Rad to CPU to Iceman <---No idea why this exists, but it is possible

Iceman to CPU/GPU (parallel) to XSPC rad to EKWB rad to iceman <---because you know, weird is normal for me ?

If you can offer alternative route for cooling, I can check if it is possible in terms if fittings

Also if someone wonders what audio setup i migrated to

Topping A90 amp, Gustard x16 dac via USB

Headphones and IEM

Hifiman Arya, Focal Clear and Elegia, for travel I have Dan Clark Aeon Noir

I have spare k7xx that I need to sell and I also looking into selling Focal Elegia

IEMs are Moondrop Starfields (giving to mom), Blessing 2 Dusk, Audeze isine 10, Prisma Azul (for walks), drop + jvc ha-fdx1 (for work)

I use FiiO btr-5 for my walks and work for amp dac purpose

Hmmmm what else is there to say,

Please do share your thoughts and ideas and suggestions,

I am really looking forward to bringing this project to reality by the end of the year.

Side note, reason why this project will be delayed, is my parents are finally coming to visit me and will be here for couple of month so I want to spend as much time as possible with them.

I haven't seen them for almost 2 years

Edited by Joe__Bishop
update

Soooo, hehe, I might of went for something a bit too crazy.

What crazy you might ask? Well, it might be not good idea to stay till 3 am browsing watercooling parts, because I found rigid copper mate black tubes...in nutshell  turned difficulty of build from 9 all the way to 11.

RIP

Also, all parts are ordered and pre ordered, now it is a wait game for slow boat from China and EK to actually make a block... 

I got a case today, so some posing pictures tomorrow and comparing sizes

Trust the awesomeness 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Joe__Bishop said:

Soooo, hehe, I might of went for something a bit too crazy.

What crazy you might ask? Well, it might be not good idea to stay till 3 am browsing watercooling parts, because I found rigid copper mate black tubes...in nutshell  turned difficulty of build from 9 all the way to 11.

RIP

Also, all parts are ordered and pre ordered, now it is a wait game for slow boat from China and EK to actually make a block... 

I got a case today, so some posing pictures tomorrow and comparing sizes

Trust the awesomeness 

I have been down that road, the hardest part will be keeping the matte finish on the tubing when you bend. I never could and never used them because of it. Should have asked, I have a bunch of extra I could have sent you. 

• Thanks 1

Long story short for today,

It was a write off,  I decided to keep EKWB block and will be using @Avacado approach to hack and slash

Currently looking into how to work around it and what type of shroud to create

If anyone has some sort of small cover handy or know where to buy let me know please

8 hours ago, Joe__Bishop said:

Long story short for today,

It was a write off,  I decided to keep EKWB block and will be using @Avacado approach to hack and slash

Currently looking into how to work around it and what type of shroud to create

If anyone has some sort of small cover handy or know where to buy let me know please

Don't know about a shroud, but the stuff below is fantastic for edge work. I have about 100ft of the stuff. 

https://www.mnpctech.com/products/u-channel-rubber-trim

• 2 weeks later...

So since forum was down, some of you might of saw this pictures already, but at the same time , i didn't do much progress

Couple of updates,

I got new ram, Crucial Ballastix 32GB cl16, it finally came back in stock

I finished swapping gpu cooler  and ran a test run for size,

In the last picture, there is a little surprise that came this morning and it fits like a glove.

I also went to a farm and met a new friend, say hi to him 😃

I will be doing a bit of build update over next 3 days.

I am just waiting for last order from EKWB

There was couple of disappointments ,

my xflow rad didn't fit, so i had to make an emergency purchase from PPCs (HELLOAGAIN-10 for 10% discount)

I also did some organization of my work area so new pc for fresh new start

20210624_022214.jpg

20210624_023516.jpg

20210626_151533_capture.jpg

20210630_101316.jpg

I hear you say, you have old m.2 sata ssd but you don't want to use precious m.2 pcie connections on you motherboard,  but don't want to toss old drive, ow boy, I have some good news for you today.

Sabrent, yea those guys who makes rocket ssds... apparently they also have some interesting accessories.  Please meet m.2 ssd to sata2.5 enclosure,  model ec-m2sa. Really important as they have couple other versions. One of the best things I ran into in last couple of years

20210701_224807.jpg

• Thanks 1

There is an unfortunate developments happening with build.

A. Screen either needs go on outer case or be returned, unfortunately it is no possible to install it anymore inside the case. If to install in outer case. I'll need to set up an entire outer case at which point, I'll order entirely different  screen from aliexpress.

B. I might need to cheat on metal tubing and install soft tubes for side rad as I'm completely clueless on how to approach latch system of inside case. With all cables it is getting really  tight inside

C. My custom cables arrived from China, but guy forgot to sent me one cable, so I'll have to wait for new  delivery  from china..

Couple of pictures from my evening walk and some early fitting times.

20210704_201156.jpg

20210704_215721.jpg

20210704_215310_04.jpg

20210704_214254.jpg

20210704_210619.jpg

20210704_230109.jpg

20210704_230057.jpg

20210704_230253.jpg

20210704_230224.jpg

Edited by Joe__Bishop
  • Thanks 2

What a great view! Easy to dream away looking at the ships and the sunset 🙂

That's a tight little box, I totally understand that you are having a hard time figuring out the water cooling/tubing options. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z5 6400CL30-38-38-28
PSU: Corsair AX1600i
GPU: Galax 4090 Hall Of Fame OCLabs Edition
Full Rig Info

Welllllll, I hope I will be able to finish this build by the end of the week, with minor tweaks down the line (when cables from China arrives)

I am hoping with new fitting I will be able to achieve a drop in side mounted rad by few mm, that will allow commander pro to go on top and route everything there

at this point I am exhausted mentally as I just want to finish this.

Needless to say, fingers cross emergency order #3 will arrive by Friday or Monday as I will have extra days off as I have a visit to dentist on Friday for 2 wisdom teeth removal and will have 5 days off.

Emergency purchase #3

EK-Quantum Torque 6-Pack STC 10/16 - Black × 2 $ 105.98
EK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 3/8"-5/8" ( 15,9/9,5mm ) × 2 $ 6.50
QD3 Male Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Compression for 10mm x 16mm (3/8in x 5/8in) - Black × 2 $ 41.30
QD3 Female Quick Disconnect No-Spill Coupling, Compression for 10mm x 16mm (3/8in x 5/8in) -Black × 2 $ 47.08
Short screw M3 Threaded x 20mm for Low profile fans - Black (pack of 4) × 1 $ 3.18
Fujipoly Sarcon® Extreme-performance Thermal Pad - 0.5mm 13mk/W × 2 $ 28.50
PVC Hose (Soft Tube) and PETG Tube Cutter × 1 $ 9.99
EK-Quantum Torque Extender Rotary MF 14 - Black × 2 $ 20.98
EK-Torque Angled 90° - Black × 2 $ 27.98
EK-AF Extender 8mm M-F G1/4 - Black × 2 $ 7.98
EK-Torque Angled 45° - Black × 2 $ 25.76
3:1 DARKSIDE Adhesive Heatshrink Tube - 12.7mm Jet Black (for SATA cables) × 1 $ 0.99
2:1 DARKSIDE 3mm Heatshrink Tube - 1/8" Black × 1 $ 0.25

Folding@Home Staff

Usps here blows through that date about 10% of the time for me.

Owned

CPU: 5600x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
GPU 2: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 3: EVGA RTX 3080ti XC3 Hybrid
GPU 4: EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW3 Ultra
GPU 5: MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
GPU 6: Asus RTX 2080ti ROG STRIX
GPU 7: EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra
Full Rig Info

Small progress update before work. Tucked so many extra cable behind that rad. I also dig these barrow step fittings in a clutch with my gpu length.

Also heat shrink that front power button in 3 layers. Hopefully it won't move cause it will be pain in butt to repair

Last picture, I had to take io plate off in order to fit card inside....

20210708_133448.jpg

20210708_133420.jpg

20210708_133412.jpg

20210708_134127.jpg

Edited by Joe__Bishop

39 minutes ago, Joe__Bishop said:

Small progress update before work. Tucked so many extra cable behind that rad. I also dig these barrow step fittings in a clutch with my gpu length.

Also heat shrink that front power button in 3 layers. Hopefully it won't move cause it will be pain in butt to repair

Last picture, I had to take io plate off in order to fit card inside....

20210708_133448.jpg

20210708_133420.jpg

20210708_133412.jpg

20210708_134127.jpg

Looking good. Those hard 90 extenders kill flow. I am surprised you didn't go with a dual or triple rotary, they are much easier on flow and extend roughly the same distance. 

• Thanks 1

Issue is @Avacado
I need a step, half of the hole covered by gpu. Alternative is Koolance low profile 90, I have 4 of them, but I'm not sure if any will be left for spare.

I wish I had reference 3080, but beggers can't be choosers , so hopefully won't be that much of an issue. Thus said, I need now to either cut out bottom or grind of stop plug on gpu, otherwise terminal is tilting gpu at angle

20210708_141543.jpg

Edited by Joe__Bishop