Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Apple and Google seem spooked by bill requiring more app stores and sideloading

ARSTECHNICA.COM

Bill would make iOS and Android more open to 3rd-party stores and sideloaded apps.

US Senators Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), and Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) introduced their Open App Markets Act yesterday. Shortly after the senators announced the bill, a group funded by Apple and Google sent a statement to media claiming that the proposed law "is a finger in the eye of anyone who bought an iPhone or Android because the phones and their app stores are safe, reliable, and easy to use."

The statement came from the "Chamber of Progress," which calls itself "a new center-left tech industry policy coalition promoting technology's progressive future."

Apple,Google,Amazon,Facebook,and several others are waiting in line at the bank to make deposits for this lobbying group while they were testifying about how they were such good people who wouldn't dream of being a monopoly or violating antitrust laws.... 🙄 Any politician on their boards should have to report a bias to any committee he/she is on. From a different source---> "The chamber’s volunteer advisory board includes experienced Democratic aides and former advisers to Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and President Obama, as well as state legislators in Colorado and New Jersey.The chamber also shared a statement from Rep. Ami Bera, California Democrat, saying he was excited to get to work with the group."

"Public Citizen’s report showed that four tech giants — Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google — supplanted Big Oil and Big Tobacco as the dominant lobbying forces in the nation’s capital." <---- This when they were being called to testify,Wonder why they felt so much money was needed?

Edited by UltraMega
formatting
  • Thanks 1

• UltraMega changed the title to Apple and Google seem spooked by bill requiring more app stores and sideloading

Edited for formatting. Titles don't have to perfectly match the article you're quoting especially if it's a long title that can easily be shortened but it should at least be based on the same wording, abbreviated as needed. 

Sounds like a typical lobbying group. I suspect their claims of who supports them are somewhat exaggerated, or based on really flimsy connections. I can't imagine Obama would volunteer to be a lobbyist for a shady group like this, or any president really... with perhaps one exception. 

I've seen this in the news and I thought about posting it, but there's a lot of new about this ongoing case so I try not to overdo it, though this does seem like bigger news especially if this bill gains any traction. Would be great if they could add in something about loot box gambling systems as well, in an ideal world. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

19 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Edited for formatting. Titles don't have to perfectly match the article you're quoting especially if it's a long title that can easily be shortened but it should at least be based on the same wording, abbreviated as needed. 

Sounds like a typical lobbying group. I suspect their claims of who supports them are somewhat exaggerated, or based on really flimsy connections. I can't imagine Obama would volunteer to be a lobbyist for a shady group like this, or any president really... with perhaps one exception. 

I've seen this in the news and I thought about posting it, but there's a lot of new about this ongoing case so I try not to overdo it, though this does seem like bigger news especially if this bill gains any traction. Would be great if they could add in something about loot box gambling systems as well, in an ideal world. 

NOT Obama himself, "includes experienced Democratic aides and former advisers to Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and President Obama". lol, the founder was also Joe Lieberman's press secretary before going to work for google as a lobbyist. Thanks for cleaning it up for me. 🙂