Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

8 Core 16 thread HP Z820 workstation build

Taken from HP's website:

Built for high-end computing and visualization. The dual-processor HP Z820 Workstation delivers outstanding performance, award-winning industrial design, and tool-free serviceability in the industry’s most expandable chassis. With next generation Intel Xeon processors, support for up to 16 processing cores, and the latest professional graphics, can tackle even the most demanding projects like never before.

The HP Z820 has 16 DIMM Slots supporting DDR3 ECC Memory.

The Z820 is a dual processor workstation with excellent liquid cooling from the factory
The first generation Z820 using the Xeon Sandy-Bridge processor supports 1333MHz memory.
The second generation Z820 using the Xeon Ivy-Bridge processor supports up to 1866MHz memory.

This machine supports octal channel memory with two CPUs installled. 

Since I am using the unlocked Xeon, the 1680 v2, unfortunately I can only run 4 channel because it doesnt have a second QPI link. 

The plan is to maximize system performance across the board. I will be running 4 SSDs in a raid 0 configuration/ Also overclocking. The best way to do that would be using throttlestop as there is no path to OC from the bios. My only compromise here is apparently throttle stop will allow you to control the multiplier but not core voltage, so I am still not sure how I am going to work my way around that as it will really limit my OC ceiling.

Starting next month. Will update thread with pictures later. 

The HP z820 is very innovative in the sense that it is completely tool less. And it has a sick cooling system. Also I have a 1125 watt PSU for this build.

1584121127295.png

s-l1600.jpg

Gen I systems:
Will have a Boot Block Date of 12/28/2011 (sandy bridge ONLY)

Gen II systems:

Will have a Boot Block Date of 03/06/2013 (Ivy bridge)

Beastly motherboard;

image.png.17b37d8d1be934f96adfc002d7bdf334.png

Premium Platinum - Lifetime

Is there a substantial difference in the VRM for socket 0 vs socket 1?  Forgive my ignorance if this is common on multi-socket server type motherboards.

TDM

Owned

CPU: 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: Dark Hero
GPU: Aorus 6900XT Extreme WF
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws V 64GB 3600 14-14-14-34
WC CPU BLOCK: Watercool Heatkiller IV
WC PUMP: XTOP Revo / FLT 120 + 3 D5's
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 Pro
CASE: Gutted Enthoo Pro 2
Full Rig Info