Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Who feels large media Corps are getting TOO large?

I just don't like that everything in our lives as consumers will pretty much come from a few mega corps. Having competition is good. Getting to the point of monopolies and other such issues is how we get crony capitalism.

As for media, I left that train a long time ago. I neither own a TV or watch the "news".

Edited by Sir Beregond
  • Thanks 1

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

3 hours ago, schuck6566 said:

It isn't so much about controlling how you watch it as controlling what's produced to watch or read. As for "you can just stream it" let's see, Disney owns at least 30% of HULU, NBCUniversal through Fandago purchased VUDU,along with having Peacock, ViacomCBS own PlutoTv, Amazon of course owns Amazon media(licensed & original movies,tv).  Remember that NBCUniversal is owned by Comcast. Poor Netflx is like "Why people want to jump me for a rate hike?"

"On February 25, 2020, Comcast announced it would purchase Xumo from the Panasonic/Viant joint venture for an undisclosed sum. The acquisition of the service—which will continue to operate as an independent business, albeit within Comcast's cable television division—stems mainly from Xumo's partnerships with smart TV manufacturers (including LG, Panasonic, and Vizio), which would allow Comcast to use Xumo's placement to market or showcase Xfinity and other Comcast services as well as use its technology to develop additional streaming platforms. The company plans to add content from the NBCUniversal programming library and the company's various television networks as well as use it to upsell its free/subscription hybrid service Peacock, akin to ViacomCBS's utilization of Pluto TV to offer content from its cable networks following the former Viacom's purchase of the rival streamer in the Spring of 2019."

They control what we can see...... 🙄

Viacom doesn't really do news so if your arguing that this leads to censorship, I don't think your example supports that. 

You're basically arguing that the small amount of large cable companies and media distributors leads to some kind of censorship. While I definitely agree that having fewer and larger companies is usually a bad thing, I don't think it's actually lead to any censorship in any meaningful way. 

A lot of these companies literally lay down cables and the government won't let very many companies do that for logistics reasons, but the gov regulates it so companies have to compete fairly and let smaller companies use the cables. 

I agree it's not ideal but I don't think it's causing the issues you assert that it does. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

On 06/05/2022 at 12:39, UltraMega said:

Viacom doesn't really do news so if your arguing that this leads to censorship, I don't think your example supports that. 

You're basically arguing that the small amount of large cable companies and media distributors leads to some kind of censorship. While I definitely agree that having fewer and larger companies is usually a bad thing, I don't think it's actually lead to any censorship in any meaningful way. 

A lot of these companies literally lay down cables and the government won't let very many companies do that for logistics reasons, but the gov regulates it so companies have to compete fairly and let smaller companies use the cables. 

I agree it's not ideal but I don't think it's causing the issues you assert that it does. 

That's a joke,Right? I mean I literally pay the cable company's fee's to the Govt's EVERY MONTH. They are allowed to pass those on to the consumer. They are ALSO allowed to pass on a "line usage fee" to the consumer for the rental of the poles to string the cable line.

911 Fee 0.75

Federal Cost Recovery Fee 0.02

Network Enhancement Fee 3.50
Federal Universal Service Fee 0.44

State Universal Service Fund 1.14

ARSTECHNICA.COM

Analysis of cable bills finds loads of fees not mentioned in advertised price.

On 06/05/2022 at 06:50, schuck6566 said:

They control what we can see...... 🙄

To what end? Are you saying these companies are engaging in some kind of censorship or are you saying their content is overly homogenized? 

I think it's hard to argue any of these big companies are controlling what we watch when YouTube exists. They just want to make money by selling ads, they don't care what we watch and in the few instances where someone might try to use their media control to censor something, there are laws against that. They would get sued for unfair business practices immediately. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

6 hours ago, UltraMega said:

To what end? Are you saying these companies are engaging in some kind of censorship or are you saying their content is overly homogenized? 

I think it's hard to argue any of these big companies are controlling what we watch when YouTube exists. They just want to make money by selling ads, they don't care what we watch and in the few instances where someone might try to use their media control to censor something, there are laws against that. They would get sued for unfair business practices immediately. 

I would argue in the case of censoring that political decisions are often made in order to run a story or not because it might "put our side in a bad light", or that by overly sensationizing a headline for any given story a certain way (depending on who's running it), combined with how hyper-polarized both sides tend to be, it's rare to just be given facts to make an informed decision on vs "hey other side bad". All these media corps have agendas and in having said agendas, it influences how they communicate out information (or don't).

YouTube is functionally the same thing as differing sides create echo chambers for their own bases and get all the subscribers and publicity. But even the corps that control platforms like youtube have clear political biases and agendas as well.

It might not be outright "censorship" in the strictest definition you are using in terms of the law, but it's definitely something that majorly influences how the majority of people receive information, especially when you think lowest common denominator.

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

1 hour ago, Sir Beregond said:

I would argue in the case of censoring that political decisions are often made in order to run a story or not because it might "put our side in a bad light", or that by overly sensationizing a headline for any given story a certain way (depending on who's running it), combined with how hyper-polarized both sides tend to be, it's rare to just be given facts to make an informed decision on vs "hey other side bad". All these media corps have agendas and in having said agendas, it influences how they communicate out information (or don't).

YouTube is functionally the same thing as differing sides create echo chambers for their own bases and get all the subscribers and publicity. But even the corps that control platforms like youtube have clear political biases and agendas as well.

It might not be outright "censorship" in the strictest definition you are using in terms of the law, but it's definitely something that majorly influences how the majority of people receive information, especially when you think lowest common denominator.

I agree with that. The media definitely has problems, but even the problems you're describing IMO don't come from a lack of diversity but rather mostly the for profit nature of news reporting. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

Full Rig Info