Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Just a quick example of what a little settings tweak can do...

schuck6566
10 Attachments

The Higher frame screen shot is at the default setting of 50% for the Screen Resolution Multi and the lower FPS is when I increased it to 60%.  At 100% it knocked the FPS down to the upper 30's-low 40's average with high spikes in upper 60's and lowest spikes in bottom 20's.  The Game used was Assassin's Creed Valhalla using the built in Benchmarking test. Included a shot of my memory also since that wasn't in the info provided by the test. 🙂

Screenshot_732.jpg

Screenshot_733.jpg

Screenshot_734.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

So its basically a render size difference of what, 1920x1080 on top vs approximately 2560x1440 on the bottom screen then right?  Yeah, that's about the right amount of a jump. 🙂  I've been having a "fun" time tinkering with resolution scaling too since I'm back on an RX 580 for a little while myself.

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

On 28/09/2022 at 18:33, pioneerisloud said:

So its basically a render size difference of what, 1920x1080 on top vs approximately 2560x1440 on the bottom screen then right?  Yeah, that's about the right amount of a jump. 🙂  I've been having a "fun" time tinkering with resolution scaling too since I'm back on an RX 580 for a little while myself.

a little less than 1440, but that's the area. here's the actual settings used by the math. 🙂

Screenshot_735.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, schuck6566 said:

a little less than 1440, but that's the area. here's the actual settings used by the math. 🙂

Screenshot_735.jpg

That's right, "1440p" would be basically 2/3 right on the nose, so yeah 0.6 is just a hair under.  1080p being 1/2.  Silly numbers.  🙃

Honestly with modern dynamic resolution scaling options, its really not even all that bad going with a lower resolution if you absolutely have to.

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 7900x
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX
PSU: Cooler Master 850w Platinum
CPU COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid PL360 Flux
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B650 Aorus AX
SSD/NVME: Solidigm P41 Plus 2TB Gen4 NVME
RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR5-6000
CASE: HAF700 Berserker
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Opteron 180 @ 3.0GHz
MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8N SLI
RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 2.5-3-3-6
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire HD5870
SOUNDCARD: Asus Xonar DG
OPTICAL: DVDRW with Lightscribe
SSD/NVME: 64GB HP 2.5" SSD
Full Rig Info

Too much

Owned

CPU: AMD Athlon 1100MHz
MOTHERBOARD: ECS K7S5A
RAM: 2x256MB Corsair XMS DDR400 @ 133MHz / CAS2
PSU: Antec 350w
GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO
SOUNDCARD: Creative Live! 5.1
OPTICAL: LG 16x DVD-ROM
OPTICAL 2: IOMagic 48x16x48 CDRW
Full Rig Info

@schuck6566

Curious question, did you play the game with both to see how it 'feels' per-se?  🤔

The second pic shows a low of 42fps while the upper shows a low of 18fps; probably no big deal FPS-wise for a game like AC, but I've had my own fair share of low FPS quarrels with 3rd person games.  I notice it in heavy scenes in RDR2 but the game just looks so friggin good in Ultra.

On 30/09/2022 at 11:18, GanjaSMK said:

@schuck6566

Curious question, did you play the game with both to see how it 'feels' per-se?  🤔

The second pic shows a low of 42fps while the upper shows a low of 18fps; probably no big deal FPS-wise for a game like AC, but I've had my own fair share of low FPS quarrels with 3rd person games.  I notice it in heavy scenes in RDR2 but the game just looks so friggin good in Ultra.

I haven't played the game yet on pc, where the 18 dip came from I can't figure where it came from.I'm gonna re-run the test again later to see if it was something that spiked somewhere else causing it to dip. It's the same scenes being run in the test so it should have been lower in the bottom 1. 

Edit: New test results including 70% and 100% More stable results, made sure nothing going on in background and waited for each to start and stop completely before trying to start new test.(Test has a long wait period at beginning that threw me off when I first ran it and I restarted it thinking it wasn't running right) 1st image = 50% 2nd = 60% 3rd = 100%  & 4th = 70%.Scale only let's me adjust in multiple of 10,was trying for the 66% but had to settle for 70. 🙂

Screenshot_737.jpg

Screenshot_738.jpg

Screenshot_739.jpg

Screenshot_740.jpg

Edited by schuck6566
added new test results

I'm guessing benchmarks - just like anything, produce statistical outliers, probably where the 18fps came in

Solid results for stable and increased FPS with tweaking one single setting - now you just gotta tell us when you play how it 'feels' 👍

The drop in render time by cutting in half probably produced way smoother visuals too

100%   188649720_snip1.JPG.0cfa740878dc861bd9b747b89927e580.JPG

vs

50%  snip2.JPG.fd80f20305e057a2b5b2385059edc8bd.JPG