Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

EU launches in-depth probe of Microsoft’s proposed Activision Blizzard acquisition

Social Media Manager
1.4k 814

As expected, following its initial inquiries into the $68.7 billion deal, the European watchdog said on Tuesday that it had opened a ‘phase II’ investigation due to competition concerns.

“The Commission is concerned that the proposed acquisition may reduce competition in the markets for the distribution of console and personal computers (‘PCs’) video games and for PC operating systems,” it said.

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

More detailed inquiry opened amid competition concerns…

Edited by bonami2

Owned

MOTHERBOARD: MSI MPG Z790i EDGE
CPU: Intel 13900k + Top Mounted 280mm Aio
RAM: 2x24gb Gskill 6400 cl36-48-48 1.4v
PSU: Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold White Edition
GPU: UHD ULTRA EXTREME BANANA GRAPHIC
MONITOR: [Monitor] LG CX48 OLED [VR] Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus OLED + Meta Quest 2 120hz
CASE: CoolerMaster NR200P White Mini ITX
SSD/NVME: 2TB Intel 660p 1tb sn850 1tb sn770
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Asus Strix G15 AE 6800m 5900hx 32gb ram 1440p
RAM: MSI GT60 Dominator 870m 4800MQ
GPU: Alienware M11x R2 i7 640um Nvidia 335m 8gb Ram
MONITOR: Lenovo X270 1080p i7 7600u 16gb ram
SSD/NVME: Acer Chromebook 11.6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5560u
MOTHERBOARD: Beelink SER5 Mini PC Box
RAM: 2x32gb Sodimm
CASE: Jonsbo N1 Mini ITX
HDD: 8TB + 4TB HDD + 2 x Intel DC S3500 800GB
Full Rig Info

On 09/11/2022 at 01:02, schuck6566 said:

"and for PC operating systems"  Ok, Now I'm at a loss. Are they gonna say the same thing when Sony goes to buy a company that makes games for pc also? THAT would seem more likely to me....

Edited by Diffident
w.t.f edit is broken

Lets try again.

On 09/11/2022 at 01:02, schuck6566 said:

"and for PC operating systems"  Ok, Now I'm at a loss. Are they gonna say the same thing when Sony goes to buy a company that makes games for pc also? THAT would seem more likely to me....

I'm guessing they would if they spent $69 billion on the company they purchase.

In particular, the Commission is concerned that Microsoft may reduce the ability of rival providers of PC operating systems to compete with Microsoft’s operating system Windows, by combining Activision Blizzard’s games and Microsoft’s distribution of games via cloud game streaming to Windows. This would discourage users to buy non-Windows PCs.

Seems Like the EU is classifying consoles as PCs.  I doubt they're talking about Linux when mentioning "non-Windows PCs."

I'm sure MS would be more than happy to put game pass on PlayStation. Sony will still be a larger gaming company than Microsoft's gaming division. The EU has no case at. This whole thing is being so over-hyped by regulators and people who have probably never played a video game in their lives. 

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

18 hours ago, UltraMega said:

I'm sure MS would be more than happy to put game pass on PlayStation. Sony will still be a larger gaming company than Microsoft's gaming division. The EU has no case at. This whole thing is being so over-hyped by regulators and people who have probably never played a video game in their lives. 

Meanwhile.....

WWW.GAMEBYTE.COM

Forspoken will be a PlayStation 5 exclusive for over two years. Sony has confirmed the news in a recent PS5 trailer.

On 13/11/2022 at 08:52, schuck6566 said:

Meanwhile.....

WWW.GAMEBYTE.COM

Forspoken will be a PlayStation 5 exclusive for over two years. Sony has confirmed the news in a recent PS5 trailer.

The Epic game store business plan is contagious apparently.

5 hours ago, Diffident said:

The Epic game store business plan is contagious apparently.

Really??? I'll just run 1 example by in argument against that, The Uncharted Franchise....

Epic Game store launched in 2018,

The First Uncharted game launched in 2007, Finally in 2022 Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection, a remastered version of A Thief's End and The Lost Legacy, was released for PlayStation 5 and Windows PC.

Sony's been at it longer than Epic

Screenshot_762.jpg

Edited by schuck6566

5 hours ago, schuck6566 said:

Really??? I'll just run 1 example by in argument against that, The Uncharted Franchise....

Epic Game store launched in 2018,

The First Uncharted game launched in 2007, Finally in 2022 Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection, a remastered version of A Thief's End and The Lost Legacy, was released for PlayStation 5 and Windows PC.

Sony's been at it longer than Epic

Screenshot_762.jpg

But none of those games were on another platform first, then bought by Sony and then taken off of other platforms, which is the fear of Microsoft buying Activision, since Microsoft has said in the past that Microsoft content would eventually be exclusive to their platform.

On 16/11/2022 at 05:13, Diffident said:

But none of those games were on another platform first, then bought by Sony and then taken off of other platforms, which is the fear of Microsoft buying Activision, since Microsoft has said in the past that Microsoft content would eventually be exclusive to their platform.

lol, Seriously? Naughty Dog,The company that made Uncharted and The Last of Us series "Naughty Dog, LLC is an American first-party video game developer based in Santa Monica, California. Founded by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin in 1984, the studio was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2001." Still wanna talk about Corp's buying gaming studio's and making their content exclusive to their own platforms?

Edit: Oh wait! Let's blame Microsoft for Blizzard games not being available already.... I wonder how this will get worked into the Sony scare tactics? Did MS put Blizzard up to it?

WWW.GAMEDEVELOPER.COM

Blizzard is splitting with Chinese licensing partner NetEase and will be suspending most Blizzard game services in mainland China as a result.

Edited by schuck6566

On 17/11/2022 at 00:52, schuck6566 said:

lol, Seriously? Naughty Dog,The company that made Uncharted and The Last of Us series "Naughty Dog, LLC is an American first-party video game developer based in Santa Monica, California. Founded by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin in 1984, the studio was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2001." Still wanna talk about Corp's buying gaming studio's and making their content exclusive to their own platforms?

Edit: Oh wait! Let's blame Microsoft for Blizzard games not being available already.... I wonder how this will get worked into the Sony scare tactics? Did MS put Blizzard up to it?

WWW.GAMEDEVELOPER.COM

Blizzard is splitting with Chinese licensing partner NetEase and will be suspending most Blizzard game services in mainland China as a result.

The games you listed were never on another platform.  I get it, being a Linux guy, I don't like it either, but trying to justify Microsoft's purchase of Activision by using a "whataboutism" isn't the way to go.  If you don't like Sony doing it, then you shouldn't like Microsoft doing it either.