Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Aorus X470 Bios issue

schuck6566

The Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming motherboard is kinda nice EXCEPT for the issue that's cropped up for a third time in as many years. The Bios randomly resets to DIFFERENT VERSIONS causing the NVME drives to not show as Windows boot drives. The last time I Purchased a new larger drive thinking the old one was flaking out on me and cloned my data over and after some playing around things loaded up. This time I noticed it was on a different bios and made the mistake of clearing the bios at the board. NOW the Drive won't boot with TPM enabled because the bios clearing wiped the encryption key that was being used previously when TPM was enabled.

In short, because of a flaky board that randomly screws with me and my clearing the bios on the board,When I get ready to run Windows 11 on this thing,I'll have to do a clean install.😠

I suppose I should state that the FIRST time this happened, I just figured it was a bad bios update on my part and that was why it went back to a previous version.

If you get 1 of these boards, make sure you keep track of which version bios you have installed so you know if it flakes to a previous ver. on you and you can just reset it with the dual bios feature instead of clearing the bios. (Wish I'd thought of that,but it's a habit to clear it at the board if there's an issue.Didn't know it would wipe the TPM keys)

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead

Is that one of the Gigabyte boards with TWO BIOS chips, but there isn't a toggle switch for them? If so, I'm sorry, that "feature" is annoying as hell. There is a weird trick to force the chips to switch. I mostly forgot it but it was something to do with holding the reset button in and and power button for like 5-10 seconds. I was so fed up that I rid myself of the board (an X370 Aorus K5).

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 TAICHI
RAM: Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8GB
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA P5
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A60 256GB
GPU: Quadro M4000
GPU 2: Quadro M4000
GPU 3: Quadro M2000
Full Rig Info

13 hours ago, damric said:

Is that one of the Gigabyte boards with TWO BIOS chips, but there isn't a toggle switch for them? If so, I'm sorry, that "feature" is annoying as hell. There is a weird trick to force the chips to switch. I mostly forgot it but it was something to do with holding the reset button in and and power button for like 5-10 seconds. I was so fed up that I rid myself of the board (an X370 Aorus K5).

Yeah, that's the setup, this one seems to randomly switch on it's own. Worst thing is I hadn't realized that was what was happening until this last time. I did the reset + power thing after trying the to clear the bios at the board(I ran across the direction on line) and it brought back the latest bios I had installed and my drive was back with windows boot showing. 🙄 Gigabytes FAQ's have more about PIII's and P4's than amd boards.

• Respect 1

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead
7 hours ago, schuck6566 said:

Yeah, that's the setup, this one seems to randomly switch on it's own. Worst thing is I hadn't realized that was what was happening until this last time. I did the reset + power thing after trying the to clear the bios at the board(I ran across the direction on line) and it brought back the latest bios I had installed and my drive was back with windows boot showing. 🙄 Gigabytes FAQ's have more about PIII's and P4's than amd boards.

Yeah it's a shame because I loved everything else about that board. The tuning features worked great. But that weird dual BIOS was just such a burden that it ruined it for me. I'm glad you figured out that trick to do the forced switch. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Full Rig Info

Cheap

Owned