Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Negotiating with ISPs

Kaz

This applies to several major providers in the U.S, it's simply the game they train their customer service agents to play.  It may also apply to other locations.  I thought some people might appreciate the knowledge.

It's no secret, most ISPs offer a great introduction price, then after 6 months to 1 year, they raise the price.  What you may not know, is you can call and talk to billing, and they will offer you another "great price for a limited time!".  Ok, you probably know you can renegotiate, but did you know, billing is actually the wrong person to talk to?  The correct choice is to talk to cancellation.  Most companies have a separate department for billing and cancellations.  The job of billing is to sell you on the value of your service, "sure, I can get you a lower price, but you need to sign a contract, or reduce your speed, drop your data, or lower TV channels."   Overall, it'll probably be the same service for $10 higher than you initially started at, but lower than their increased price. 

If your upset about the options and decide to cancel, a billing agent will say, "I'm sorry to hear that.  Let me get you to someone who can do that for you."  Now you're talking to a different agent, their retention department.  That agent will offer you different deals in an attempt to save you, they may even get you back on the same price you were paying before.  Some agents are better than others, and having a service complaint along with the general price complaint, is usually enough to get them to try and save you as a customer.  "I can get that bill down, let me get you over to tech support to fix your problem".  Suddenly that $10 increase, isn't the same as it was before.  Saving you as a customer is more important than milking an extra $10.  If the retention agent doesn't try to save you as a customer, they are bad at their job.  Simply schedule the disconnect out a day or two, then cancel it and repeat the process until you find a competent agent willing to give you a decent discount.

I really hate all the games that ISP's play.  If there's ever a fair one with straightforward billing, I'd gladly switch to them in a heartbeat. 

• Respect 3

It is a pain. I have cancelled many a service, whether it be ISP related or otherwise and usually if there customer retention team is good enough, they will persuade me to stay with them. Any money for them in better than no money, so it is in their interest to keep you onboard, even if at a heavy discount.

I have had some good deals in the past with customer retention, especially on mobile contracts, they are pretty good at slashing prices when you get down to it.

• Thanks 2

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

i see what you're saying, in my experience its with cable internet and tv companies that are the worst. no complaints from google fiber though 🙂

image.png

• Thanks 2

Owned

CPU: 10900k
MOTHERBOARD: EVGA z490 DARK
RAM: 32GB 3600mhz G.Skill
GPU: EVGA 2080 SUPER
SSD/NVME: 970 EVO plus 1TB
CASE: Thermaltake Core x71
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-11700K
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS PRIME Z590-P WIFI
RAID CONTROLLER: Dell H200E
HDD: 15x4TB MD1000
SSD/NVME: 10x512GB Samsung SSD (Cache) MD1000
OPERATING SYSTEM: Unraid 6.11.5
Full Rig Info

I recently cancelled the TV portion of my service, I was surprised they didn't offer to lower the cost.  She just asked me why I was cancelling and that was it.  She was nice enough to cancel my internet also and then reactivate it at the new customer price that's locked in for 4 years.

Comcast still employs the irritating first-year introductory pricing game, but you can change your plan at any time online without having to pick up the phone. Just do it on month 11 or whenever you see a good deal because they actually do periodically rotate the discounts.

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: 64 GB (2x32 GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: 1 TB WD_BLACK SN850X PCIe 4.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 2 TB WD_BLACK SN770 PCIe 4.0 NVMe
MONITOR: 38" LG UltraGear 38GN950-B 3840x1600 144 Hz
MONITOR 2: 55" Samsung Neo QLED QN85A 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X300M-STM
RAM: 16 GB (2x8 GB) ADATA DDR4-3200 CL22
SSD/NVME: 500 GB Gigabyte Gen3 2500E PCIe 3.0 NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: 3.84 TB Samsung PM863a Enterprise SATA 6 Gbps
CASE: ASRock DeskMini X300W
CPU COOLER: Thermalright AXP90-X36
CPU COOLER 2: [Fan] Noctua NF-A9x14 92mm PWM 2.52 W
Full Rig Info

One thing I loved about Verizon FIOS was the flat-rate with no fees or introduction pricing packages. I paid $65/mo for Gigabit up/down and it was phenomenal. When I bought a house in a different neighborhood, no more FIOS.. had to go to Xfinity/Comcast and it’s been garbage. My “cheap” (slower than FIOS but more expensive, yay) internet price will be gone in Jan2024. I hate dealing with these predatory practices, especially since they line the city/township councilmen pockets so that Google/Verizon and other competitors can’t build in the municipality. It’s BS!

Edited by acoustic