Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Windows 11 Updates and AMD 6900XT 'surprises'

Monday morning...and in the middle of being hyper-busy with an AI project, my main work machine started to give me some odd messages when working on some graphs for the project 😡:

Win11_6900update_warning.jpg.aac646808a275e557d257d792740872c.jpg

...ok, so checking out that provided link 😡 

Win11_6900update_warning_AMD.thumb.jpg.315f935e60f6506134b9a0628fca8efa.jpg

I tend to run the second most-recent driver package for the AMD Radeon and 'never' set it to auto-driver updates, given the observed issues with brand-new AMD drivers. Alas, once I updated the Radeon driver to the latest version this morning (fingers crossed), AMD Adrenalin software was back and working fine...

...however, now my 'Print_Screen' button automatically engages the Microsoft snipping tool (I had another software set as default); Print_Screen doesn't work anymore on any other programs UNTIL I have first used the MS Snip tool for a given image (only then can I use the other programs)...and of course Microsoft Edge displaced Firefox as the default web page program.

These are just the first few observations of Microsoft's latest 'patches' as I am too busy work-wise to check everything else. That said, we have started to move more and more office machines away from Microsoft to Linux - especially those dealing with code, documents, emails and such. Microsoft's latest AI-enabled patch is yet another (in my opinion) illegal push into the privacy and secure document and communications zone on a PC...no thank you. Also, we have a strict policy to NOT use OneDrive, yet some of the email contents have disappeared with 'a link to server to view'...

With AI being all the rage and Microsoft's heavy investments into OpenAI / ChatGPT, I expected even more snooping and 'appropriation' would be going on, not only on text files and emails, but also graphics and audio, given AI's voracious training data input demands. Fortunately, my other system (below right is Win 10 Pro) instead of the main work system (below left, Win 11 Pro), though Microsoft is sure to backfill Win 10 Proa as well, IMO.

So yeah, major systems here are already being re-vamped for Linux; we'll keep a few on Win 11 Pro - but not for docs, emails and such. 

BlueDualNewCitynght.thumb.jpg.09249da9c19d2fcb7d74ef5c52dde7d1.jpg

Edited by J7SC_Orion

Owned

CPU: CPU: ><.......7950X3D - Aorus X670E Master - 48GB DDR5 7200 (8000) TridentZ SK Hynix - Giga-G-OC/Galax RTX 4090 670W - LG 48 OLED - 4TB NVMEs >< .......5950X - Asus CH 8 Dark Hero - 32GB CL13 DDR4 4000 - AMD R 6900XT 500W - Philips BDM40 4K VA - 2TB NVME & 3TB SSDs >> - <<.......4.4 TR 2950X - MSI X399 Creation - 32 GB CL 14 3866 - Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC/KPin 520W and 2x RTX 2080 Ti Gigabyte XTR WF WB 380W - LG 55 IPS HDR - 1TB NVME & 4TB SSDs
Full Rig Info

Folding@Home Staff - Team Lead

Try this:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-kb205#faq-Solution

Possible Cause

Windows® operating system may have reverted the driver version for your AMD Graphics device, after the AMD Software Package was successfully installed. 

Solution

Please temporarily disable the Windows Device Installation Settings and reinstall the AMD Software Package. 

To disable Windows Device Installation Settings, follow these steps: 

1. Open System Properties by typing “sysdm.cpl” (without quotes) in the Search box on the Taskbar, then hit the Enter key. 
  2. In System Properties, select the Hardware tab, then click on Device Installation Settings. 
  3. In the Device installation settings screen, choose NO. 
  4. Click on Save Changes to exit. 
  5. Restart the system. 
Edited by damric
  • Respect 1

Owned

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: B550 PG Velocita
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix
GPU: RX 6900 XT
PSU: LEADEX V Platinum 1KW
CASE: QUBE 500
SSD/NVME: T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO