Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D launching exclusively at Micro Center

If you're in the market for a budget-friendly gaming processor, the Ryzen 5 5600X3D is right up your alley. The entry will hit the market early next month, on July 7, 2023, and retail at $229. According to Tom's Hardware, the gaming processor will be sold exclusively at Micro Center while stocks last.

And while the entry sits below its predecessor, the Ryzen 7 5800X3D, it will significantly enhance your gameplay experience. The processor ships with a six-core 12-thread featuring a "base clock speed of 3.3GHz and a boosted speed of up to 4.4GHz," as highlighted by Micro Center.

It also sports 96MB of L3 cache, leveraging AMD’s 3D V-Cache technology (as also seen in the Ryzen 7 5800X3D), which has been proven to boost game performance by increasing cache on a processor. 

WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

You can only get AMD'S Ryzen 5 5600X3D at Micro Center.

Budget king? 

• Respect 1

Owned

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3600mhz CL16
GPU: 7900XT
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info

On 30/06/2023 at 16:39, speed_demon said:

One final hurrah for the AM4 platform. Pricing looks good too, going to be a lot of people upgrading in the near future.

There is a Gamers' Nexus video on the topic that provides more context. 

TL;DR Very limited quantities. AMD is just selling any remaining dies that could not be sold as a 5800X3D exclusively at Micro Center. 

Edited by Slaughtahouse
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Slaughtahouse said:

There is a Gamers' Nexus video on the topic that provides more context. 

TL;DR Very limited quantities. AMD is just selling any remaining dies that could not be sold as a 5800X3D exclusively at Micro Center. 

Interesting numbers. Though they didn't have a 5800x in their testing, the numbers make it pretty clear that this CPU would beat a 5800x most of the time which is interesting because it shows a clear favor for more cache over more cores. Given that consoles are 16 threads and don't have a lot of cache, I'd expect there to be more games that would favor more threads more of the time and perhaps there is actually some room to be critical of Gamers Nexus's typical stack of benchmarks. Most of these games are a bit old now, and I don't think a single game in their tests is a current gen game, meaning not designed to run on a PS4. Every game they've tested with the exception of Counter Strike and Stellaris are games that run on PS4. I suspect if they tested more games that were not designed to run on older machines the overall results would look a bit different. To be fair though, there are very few games still today that are designed only for current gen hardware. 

Because of the limited testing stack used, I think all that can be said for sure based on the gamers nexus video is that CPUs with more cache do better for older games that don't demand 16 threads than a 16 thread CPU does. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

2 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Interesting numbers. Though they didn't have a 5800x in their testing, the numbers make it pretty clear that this CPU would beat a 5800x most of the time which is interesting because it shows a clear favor for more cache over more cores. Given that consoles are 16 threads and don't have a lot of cache, I'd expect there to be more games that would favor more threads more of the time and perhaps there is actually some room to be critical of Gamers Nexus's typical stack of benchmarks. Most of these games are a bit old now, and I don't think a single game in their tests is a current gen game, meaning not designed to run on a PS4. Every game they've tested with the exception of Counter Strike and Stellaris are games that run on PS4. I suspect if they tested more games that were not designed to run on older machines the overall results would look a bit different. To be fair though, there are very few games still today that are designed only for current gen hardware. 

Because of the limited testing stack used, I think all that can be said for sure based on the gamers nexus video is that CPUs with more cache do better for older games that don't demand 16 threads than a 16 thread CPU does. 

I agree that we can be critical of their stack but no reviewer is perfect and many games still released in 2023 are based on older tech that were designed with the PS4 / Xbox One. Even if they are not released on those platforms. If I look at some of the most popular and highest rated games for the past few years... GoW, Final Fantasy, Horizon, Resident Evil, Star Wars, Street fighter, Diablo, they're games designed with last gen in mind. 

Regardless of GN's game suite... I don't see how the 5800X will pull ahead over time. Cache helps mitigate a lot of constraints on PC (slower system memory and latency). CP2077 is a fair example of a modern game that can leverage more cores (see delta between 16, 12, 8 core Zen 3 parts) and well, the 6 core die with more cache sits on top. 

image.png.bf1e10405241e6a37fab8c8ce9918851.png

If newer games are released and require a baseline of more cores, maybe we will see a balancing act but I don't imagine that will be the case anytime soon. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Slaughtahouse said:

I agree that we can be critical of their stack but no reviewer is perfect and many games still released in 2023 are based on older tech that were designed with the PS4 / Xbox One. Even if they are not released on those platforms. If I look at some of the most popular and highest rated games for the past few years... GoW, Final Fantasy, Horizon, Resident Evil, Star Wars, Street fighter, Diablo, they're games designed with last gen in mind. 

Regardless of GN's game suite... I don't see how the 5800X will pull ahead over time. Cache helps mitigate a lot of constraints on PC (slower system memory and latency). CP2077 is a fair example of a modern game that can leverage more cores (see delta between 16, 12, 8 core Zen 3 parts) and well, the 6 core die with more cache sits on top. 

image.png.bf1e10405241e6a37fab8c8ce9918851.png

If newer games are released and require a baseline of more cores, maybe we will see a balancing act but I don't imagine that will be the case anytime soon. 

You might be right, but just to be nitpicky; 2077 can leverage a lot of threads, but it's still designed to run on PS4. I don't think it's any more or less relevant that the other games on the list; a lot more GPU heavy but pretty standard on the CPU load.

I want to see how games that just wouldn't run smoothly on 8 threads do with more threads vs more cache if/when there ever are any. Even if more cache wins out, I suspect the gap will close somewhat. 

Owned

Full Rig Info

At this stage, the value of more cores is less for gaming itself and more for having a ton of other crap running at the same time while gaming. As far as I know, there are very few games that can actually leverage all the cores once you hit 8 or more cores. And in the case of Ryzen CPUs, you definitely take a small hit for crossing the infinity fabric between CCD's on the 12 and 16 cores parts (Zen 3 and 4), Zen 2 even worse as it is two groups of 4 core CCX's per CCD.

Interesting to see in that CP2077 chart that there really isn't much of a different between the 5600X3D and the 5800X3D.

• Respect 1

Showcase

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600 (@ 3733 14-8-14-14-21-35 1T GDM)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, Core i9-10900K, Core i3-13100, Core i9-13900KS
GPU: various
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400 | Oloy Blade 16GB DDR4-3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR5-5600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | EVGA Z490 Dark | EVGA Z790 Dark Kingpin
SSD/NVME: Samsung 870 Evo 1TB | Inland 1TB Gen 4
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 12 1500W
CASE: Cooler Master MasterFrame 700 - bench mode
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 LTSC
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: M1 Pro
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 1TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: MacOS Sonoma
CASE: Space Grey
Full Rig Info

Yea I like having higher core count just to be able to multitask better. I have a ton of * running at any given time on my main rig and it just plows right through it. 

Obviously if you ONLY use a PC for gaming you can "trim the fat" and pare down to just the essentials and get a better bang for the buck with a CPU like this. That said, it's a Microcenter exclusive which means its really only a viable option for a small percentage of the population. 

Also Microcenter has crazy combo deals pretty regularly and often huge discounts for open box stuff... So a budget conscious gamer that is lucky enough to be near one, may very well be swayed by other deals that MC has to offer. 

• Thanks 1

Owned

CPU: 5900X + Optimus block
MOTHERBOARD: MSI X570 Ace
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra + Optimus block
RAM: 32GB Oloy Blade 3600CL14
SSD/NVME: 1TB SN750 Black
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB SN750 Black
SSD/NVME 3: 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus
CASE: LD PC-V7
Full Rig Info

Owned