Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Fight Covid-19 & Win Prizes ! (Folding@Home) **Starts Midnight 08/04/20**

Ok guys, anyone out there able to help me setup and optimize Threadripper 3970X? It looks like some people are getting it up to 1 million PPD...which seems like alot for a CPU??

I did a bit of googling and it seems there are some tweaks that need to happen to get the max out of this thing. I read some stuff about 'slot' settings for core/thread count but I am totally clueless.

Also, can anyone give me a really quick summary of how this scales with overclocking? For instance, how much system memory does it use and what the score increase? Overclocking CPU? Mem? I've been in the professional XOC world for some years now but never touched folding until yesterday...I know nothing.

Not many tweaks to do, but you will want to adjust the number of cores threads per CPU slot. You can do that using FAHControl. There are a few things that GROMACS (the program that is used behind the scenes for CPU folding) doesn't play nicely with. Primarily this is any thread count above 32 and also any thread count that is a prime > 7 or has a large prime factor. Also, it is best to set up multiple CPU slots, so that you will get the most work. What can happen if you have too high of a thread count is that you will get assigned work that does not use all of the available threads. I have found that the best max number of threads for each slot is 24. Any higher (up to 32) and you can still get work, but sometimes the WUs will be less than 32 threads.

Not sure how many GPUs you have in the system, but each NVIDIA GPU will need to be given at least 1 thread (I recommend 2 (one whole core)). Here is how I would set up a 32 core processor with two GPUs.

First CPU slot - 16

Second CPU slot - 16

Third CPU slot - 16

Fourth CPU slot - 10

That leaves a few cores to feed the GPUs and a core for general overhead.

To set the number of cores per slot go to Configure -> Slots

• Highlight your CPU slot and then click edit
  • The default is -1, and that will just set it to fold on all threads -1.
  • Set that to 16 then click OK.
  • Now click on add
  • Select CPU and set it to 16
  • Do the same thing again until you have added all the slots you want and then click Save
  • That should be it, and you should start to pick up work for each slot

Also for anyone else that is folding on their CPU, all of the new tasks, which are a_7 type work units, do use AVX instructions. This means you are going to see quite a bit more heat and power usage.

Nice !

Trying to see if I can get my CPU Folding stable (3950X) But is just does not like it. All other benchmarks pass including FAHBench lol, but whatever WU they are giving me on the CPU just blows up my OC.

The old version of FAHBench is compiled with an older type of CPU task that does not use AVX instructions.

Edited by tictoc
  • Thanks 2

Not many tweaks to do, but you will want to adjust the number of cores threads per CPU slot. You can do that using FAHControl. There are a few things that GROMACS (the program that is used behind the scenes for CPU folding) doesn't play nicely with. Primarily this is any thread count above 32 and also any thread count that is a prime > 7 or has a large prime factor. Also, it is best to set up multiple CPU slots, so that you will get the most work. What can happen if you have too high of a thread count is that you will get assigned work that does not use all of the available threads. I have found that the best max number of threads for each slot is 24. Any higher (up to 32) and you can still get work, but sometimes the WUs will be less than 32 threads.

Not sure how many GPUs you have in the system, but each NVIDIA GPU will need to be given at least 1 thread (I recommend 2 (one whole core)). Here is how I would set up a 32 core processor with two GPUs.

First CPU slot - 16

Second CPU slot - 16

Third CPU slot - 16

Fourth CPU slot - 10

That leaves a few cores to feed the GPUs and a core for general overhead.

To set the number of cores per slot go to Configure -> Slots

• Highlight your CPU slot and then click edit
  • The default is -1, and that will just set it to fold on all threads -1.
  • Set that to 16 then click OK.
  • Now click on add
  • Select CPU and set it to 16
  • Do the same thing again until you have added all the slots you want and then click Save
  • That should be it, and you should start to pick up work for each slot

Also for anyone else that is folding on their CPU, all of the new tasks, which are a_7 type work units, do use AVX instructions. This means you are going to see quite a bit more heat and power usage.

The old version of FAHBench is compiled with an older type of CPU task that does not use AVX instructions.

Brill advice for @mllrkllr88 bud. I actually remember back in the day now that you had to leave a Core to each GPU so it can manage the GPU things correctly when folding. If I get my CPU stable I will setup my folding client correctly this time for the CPU. Out of interest, if you do not assign a core to the GPU when CPU and GPU folding, I would imagine that just causes lower performance, not a system crash ?

£3000

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Meg Ace X670E
RAM: Corsair Dominator Titanium 64GB (6000MT/s)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Corsair MP700 Pro Gen 5 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
FANS: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC x 6
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Kingston 2666Mhz
SSD/NVME: 256GB Samsung NVMe
NETWORK: HP 561T 10Gbe (Intel X540 T2)
MOTHERBOARD: Proprietry
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630
PSU: 90Watt
CASE: HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe (Main OS)
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe (VM's)
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's (Apps)
Full Rig Info

Brill advice for @mllrkllr88 bud. I actually remember back in the day now that you had to leave a Core to each GPU so it can manage the GPU things correctly when folding. If I get my CPU stable I will setup my folding client correctly this time for the CPU. Out of interest, if you do not assign a core to the GPU when CPU and GPU folding, I would imagine that just causes lower performance, not a system crash ?

If you just let the system max out, and you don't spare a core for the GPU, the biggest thing that will happen is that the CPU will be splitting the load between the CPU WU and the GPU WU. Basically, having the extra free core allows you some headroom to ensure maximum PPD on the GPU.

So yeah, no crash.

$3818.71

Owned

CPU: i7-10700
CPU COOLER: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG STRIX B460-I GAMING
RAM: Kingston Fury 2x8GB 15-16-16-32
SSD/NVME: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Mini ITX
CASE: Lian Li PC-TU100 (Modded)
Full Rig Info

If you just let the system max out, and you don't spare a core for the GPU, the biggest thing that will happen is that the CPU will be splitting the load between the CPU WU and the GPU WU. Basically, having the extra free core allows you some headroom to ensure maximum PPD on the GPU.

So yeah, no crash.

Yeah I thought as much. Going to test my OC with some hefty AVX workloads/benches to see if I can catch an instability. Ran two runs of Memtest, no memory instabilities were shown there as both tests were error free + other memory related benchmarks pass without issue. Will also try dropping to 4.3Ghz as well to see if that makes any difference.

Edited by ENTERPRISE

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Hi Guys!

I'm new here, but will be assisting the ExtremeHW team for folding at home for the Covid 19 Fight :) I've already started folding last night.

I am using all cores on my AMD Ryzen 3900x as well as my GeForce 1080 Ti with a voltage limit of .875 (when folding, equivalent to about 65% card power usage)

I do have a recommendation for those on Ryzen/Threadripper 3rd gen. Use 1usmus DRAM Calculator. Not only can it help assist you with Memory Timings/Voltages, but it also has a MEMBench /memtest built in.

Under the MEMbench tab I recommend Memtest mode with a Task Scope of at least 200%. Depending on your memory speed/timings, I would let it run at least 30-40 minutes. If there are any issues with your settings/voltages, it will stop on 1st error by default.

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys!

I'm new here, but will be assisting the ExtremeHW team for folding at home for the Covid 19 Fight :) I've already started folding last night.

I am using all cores on my AMD Ryzen 3900x as well as my GeForce 1080 Ti with a voltage limit of .875 (when folding, equivalent to about 65% card power usage)

I do have a recommendation for those on Ryzen/Threadripper 3rd gen. Use 1usmus DRAM Calculator. Not only can it help assist you with Memory Timings/Voltages, but it also has a MEMBench /memtest built in.

Under the MEMbench tab I recommend Memtest mode with a Task Scope of at least 200%. Depending on your memory speed/timings, I would let it run at least 30-40 minutes. If there are any issues with your settings/voltages, it will stop on 1st error by default.

Hey and welcome!

Would you show us a screenshot of your folding client configuration? Since you have that many cores, you may need to optimize the CPU slots a bit.

$3818.71

Owned

Full Rig Info

Hey and welcome!

Would you show us a screenshot of your folding client configuration? Since you have that many cores, you may need to optimize the CPU slots a bit.

Much appreciated. This is my first time using F@H in over 10 years so I'm sure my config can be optimized. Currently I've left everything at default with the exception of Power Consumption set to Full.

I tried attaching three JPG's but it's saying blocked by file scanner, so I'm sharing via three image links.

https://ibb.co/xMB8S6V

https://ibb.co/SK3m629

https://ibb.co/dc6m7VM

Thank you!

Okay so the big thing I will suggest is manually splitting your CPU into 2 slots: 1 slot with 16 threads, and 1 slot with 6 threads. This would reserve a couple threads for your GPU.

Also, you may want to add the flag "next-unit-percentage" with a value of "100" for all of your slots. It seems to make grabbing WUs more reliable these days, espeially with the WU drought we've been experiencing.

• Thanks 1

$3818.71

Owned

Full Rig Info

Much appreciated. This is my first time using F@H in over 10 years so I'm sure my config can be optimized. Currently I've left everything at default with the exception of Power Consumption set to Full.

I tried attaching three JPG's but it's saying blocked by file scanner, so I'm sharing via three image links.

https://ibb.co/xMB8S6V

https://ibb.co/SK3m629

https://ibb.co/dc6m7VM

Thank you!

Apologies for that. We are working on our file AV which caused this, I have turned it off for now. However for images, please use our image up-loader as per the red camera icon to the top right of the editor :) Or you can continue linking. Welcome to EHW and the Fold !

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Okay so the big thing I will suggest is manually splitting your CPU into 2 slots: 1 slot with 16 threads, and 1 slot with 6 threads. This would reserve a couple threads for your GPU.

Also, you may want to add the flag "next-unit-percentage" with a value of "100" for all of your slots. It seems to make grabbing WUs more reliable these days, espeially with the WU drought we've been experiencing.

Thank you!! Does this look right? https://ibb.co/D1TQrZS

I now have three total slots. One with 16 threads, one with 6 threads, and one for my GPU

Looks good! You should be good to go once you get a few WUs :thumbs_thumbup:

$3818.71

Owned

Full Rig Info

?

That's actually another question I had. Probably a simple answer. Is there a correlation between points and WU's? I noticed I have more WU's (22) than people with more points than me.

This may not be completely accurate, but historically I've seen more powerful cards tend to get bigger (higher point award) WUs.

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML360R
MOTHERBOARD: [Asus] ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3600
SSD/NVME: [Western Digital] Black 512 GB NVMe SSD
SSD/NVME 2: [Team] 4x 1 TB 2.5" SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML240L
MOTHERBOARD: [MSI] MAG B550M Mortar Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3200
SSD/NVME: [Crucial] P2 500 GB NVMe SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 2 TB HDD
HDD 2: [Western Digital] Caviar Green 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming
Full Rig Info

Content Creator
281 228

Been getting a fair amount of WUs on my CPU, not many on my GPU :(

Owned

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 7950X3D
MOTHERBOARD: Asus X670E Hero (pls EVGA make an AMD mobo)
RAM: G.Skill 64GB @ 6000Mhz
GPU: RTX 4090 Strix OC
SSD/NVME: 2x SN850X 4TB | 1x 970 Pro 0.5TB
MONITOR: Something OLED, 120hz and 42-48"
WC RADIATOR: MO-RA3 420 | HeatKiller 360S
WC CPU BLOCK: Heatkiller IV Pro
Full Rig Info

Owned

AUDIO: Topping DX7 Pro
AUDIO 2: Sennheiser HD800S
AUDIO 3: Sennheiser HD650
AUDIO 4: Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC
AUDIO 5: Edifier RT1700BT
AUDIO 6: Custom XLR balanced cables
Full Rig Info

CA$40000

Owned

CPU: F22C | 257hp 251nm
CPU COOLER: K&N FIPK Intake | AEM filter
GPU: Yokohama AD08R 255/40r17
CPU COOLER 2: Titan 7 R-10s 17x9.5+51
AUDIO: Alpine UTE73BT + Modifry DCI
MOTHERBOARD: Öhlins Road & Track DFV Coilovers
OPERATING SYSTEM: Hondata
CASE: Recaro Pole Position
Full Rig Info

Been getting a fair amount of WUs on my CPU, not many on my GPU :(

Same, it seems like there are less available today for whatever reason. You'd think more people would be folding during the week, rather than on a Friday lol

$3818.71

Owned

Full Rig Info

So it looks like I am having a much better success at 4.3Ghz on the 3950X when folding. Will get it stable folding at the lowers Vcore I can and then run some other benches to make sure it is rock solid, then I can safely commit the CPU to the cause to, woop !

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

So it looks like I am having a much better success at 4.3Ghz on the 3950X when folding. Will get it stable folding at the lowers Vcore I can and then run some other benches to make sure it is rock solid, then I can safely commit the CPU to the cause to, woop !

If you're thinking of lowering vcore, or even figuring out how it works... I would take a look at this review: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...ffset-override

You can actually lower vCore all you want, even go as low as 1v probably. Nothing will crash, however you will actually sacrifice major performance. These new chips work very differently than 1000 and 2000 series Ryzen chips. You will literally have to run something line Cinebench for each voltage increment until you know you haven't lost performance.

I've had my 3900x since last August and read/watched tons of videos regarding how it works, including dos and donts. The general consensus is don't even bother trying to manually OC it for 24/7 use. The performance gain is minimal if any, and you lose the single core / multi-core higher boost.

I suppose if If you're onlyyyy doing Folding at Home and you're on a custom loop and always maximizing the use of all threads, then maybe you could play around with manual/static OC :) But it's going to be a pain...

Edit: I should have added, If you keep everything stock (minus the RAM of of course, that always has to be manually adjusted), the CPU will adjust frequency based on CPU temperature. AMD's algorithm works well unless you're running liquid nitrogen.

For instance, I've gotten higher Cinebench scores in the Winter time, and slightly lower scores in the Summer time (all due to ambient temperatures).

Good luck!

Edited by bigblueshock

Manual 4.3 OC here on my 3970X 3960X, but my CPU only gets a short break once every few weeks when I have to reboot for some updates. :D

For my situation where the CPU is always at a minimum of 90% load, the overshoot/undershoot voltage swings with auto-boost and PBO were never really stable.

Edited by tictoc

Manual 4.3 OC here on my 3970X, but my CPU only gets a short break once every few weeks when I have to reboot for some updates. :D

For my situation where the CPU is always at a minimum of 90% load, the overshoot/undershoot voltage swings with auto-boost and PBO were never really stable.

That makes sense the way you're using the chip then. Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, PBO is still kind of broken anyhow. I actually got lower scores with PBO enabled, lol.

• Thanks 1

If you're thinking of lowering vcore, or even figuring out how it works... I would take a look at this review: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3...ffset-override

You can actually lower vCore all you want, even go as low as 1v probably. Nothing will crash, however you will actually sacrifice major performance. These new chips work very differently than 1000 and 2000 series Ryzen chips. You will literally have to run something line Cinebench for each voltage increment until you know you haven't lost performance.

I've had my 3900x since last August and read/watched tons of videos regarding how it works, including dos and donts. The general consensus is don't even bother trying to manually OC it for 24/7 use. The performance gain is minimal if any, and you lose the single core / multi-core higher boost.

I suppose if If you're onlyyyy doing Folding at Home and you're on a custom loop and always maximizing the use of all threads, then maybe you could play around with manual/static OC :) But it's going to be a pain...

Edit: I should have added, If you keep everything stock (minus the RAM of of course, that always has to be manually adjusted), the CPU will adjust frequency based on CPU temperature. AMD's algorithm works well unless you're running liquid nitrogen.

For instance, I've gotten higher Cinebench scores in the Winter time, and slightly lower scores in the Summer time (all due to ambient temperatures).

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. It was an interesting read, including the GN article. I am not aiming for a super low vcore, just a sensible minimum that will keep my all core OC stable. Much of the work or software I use is multi-threaded, so it makes more sense for me to have a manual maximum all core OC over an auto OC over PBO which will only give a favourable boost on certain cores. PBO is fine for sure, just depends on your use case. I may do some testing with PBO again after I re-find my stable point with Folding with respect to vcore.

Will be interesting if they have improved PBO at all.

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

?

That's actually another question I had. Probably a simple answer. Is there a correlation between points and WU's? I noticed I have more WU's (22) than people with more points than me.

If you are folding on your CPU, the ratio of WU-points will be lower than GPU folding. The reason for this is twofold:

• Current CPU WUs are fairly small with a low TPF (time per frame) so they will complete quickly
  • Much of protein folding can be highly parallelized, so with an optimized GPU application, GPUs are able to do more work in a shorter amount of time than CPUs

Additionally, faster GPUs and CPUs will see more points per WU. This is because of QRB (quick return bonus) which awards more points the faster that the work is turned around from server-client-server. With the newer CPU WUs, it is not nearly as big of a divide as it was a few years ago before the newer a7 tasks were released.

• Thanks 2

If you are folding on your CPU, the ratio of WU-points will be lower than GPU folding. The reason for this is twofold:

• Current CPU WUs are fairly small with a low TPF (time per frame) so they will complete quickly
  • Much of protein folding can be highly parallelized, so with an optimized GPU application, GPUs are able to do more work in a shorter amount of time than CPUs

Additionally, faster GPUs and CPUs will see more points per WU. This is because of QRB (quick return bonus) which awards more points the faster that the work is turned around from server-client-server. With the newer CPU WUs, it is not nearly as big of a divide as it was a few years ago before the newer a7 tasks were released.

This makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Nice.

At the time of writing this post, 351 Work Units have been completed !

• Thanks 1

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info

Owned

Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

Full Rig Info