Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Valve patent hints at a new Steam Controller

The patent for this new version, originally filed in late 2018 before being published in 2020, was tweeted out (Via PCGamesN) by Valve News Network’s Tyler McVicker who pointed out an intriguing aspect of the controller's design: swappable components.

Source

Owned

CPU: i7 9570H
GPU: AMD 5300m
RAM: 16GB
SSD/NVME: 512GB
OPERATING SYSTEM: macOS Sonoma
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: 5800X
GPU: RTX 2070
RAM: 32GB
SSD/NVME: 500GB 960 Evo
SSD/NVME 2: 1TB 860 Evo
SSD/NVME 3: 1TB 860 Evo
PSU: EVGA 650w Modular
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 11
Full Rig Info

I got a Steam controller during the last few days it was available when they were trying to get rid of all of their stock, so it was a whopping $5 (though shipping was like $7 or $9 or something). I quite like it, but I wouldn't have spent more than $20 on it. I really like the idea of modular devices though. I was quite interested in the concept of modular phones, and I was rather disappointed when those seemed to flop. Hopefully that won't be the case here.

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML360R
MOTHERBOARD: [Asus] ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3600
SSD/NVME: [Western Digital] Black 512 GB NVMe SSD
SSD/NVME 2: [Team] 4x 1 TB 2.5" SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML240L
MOTHERBOARD: [MSI] MAG B550M Mortar Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3200
SSD/NVME: [Crucial] P2 500 GB NVMe SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 2 TB HDD
HDD 2: [Western Digital] Caviar Green 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid Gaming
Full Rig Info

I got a Steam controller during the last few days it was available when they were trying to get rid of all of their stock, so it was a whopping $5 (though shipping was like $7 or $9 or something). I quite like it, but I wouldn't have spent more than $20 on it. I really like the idea of modular devices though. I was quite interested in the concept of modular phones, and I was rather disappointed when those seemed to flop. Hopefully that won't be the case here.

Think I was just too heavy handed to work with the touch portion of the controller and didn't want to put in the time/effort to work it out.;)

I also bought my Steam controller during that final sale. Would have grabbed a few but they didn't offer combined shipping.. It is a good controller, but the buttons are oddly small and using the touchpad is pretty tough. Not sure how they can really make that more user friendly, unless they take some notes from VR and give us some kind of finger/hand tracking.

I actually forced myself to use it for a few weeks and it has found it's place. It was worth the price just for TES IV: Oblivion for me, since I've always preferred the PS3 version so I could chill on a couch and play. Took a while to set up hot keys and get used to them but now it's pretty much second nature and I can couch potato the PC version.. There is a controller mod for that game but it changes to a skyrim-ish UI and you can't hotswap..

Oblivion doesn't require snappy aim though, so games like the original COD have been far more challenging. I managed to beat COD 1 on regular difficulty but not without frustration. I have been messing with Diablo 2 and Civ VI but those have been a bit too difficult to play.

I also bought my Steam controller during that final sale. Would have grabbed a few but they didn't offer combined shipping.. It is a good controller, but the buttons are oddly small and using the touchpad is pretty tough. Not sure how they can really make that more user friendly, unless they take some notes from VR and give us some kind of finger/hand tracking.

I actually forced myself to use it for a few weeks and it has found it's place. It was worth the price just for TES IV: Oblivion for me, since I've always preferred the PS3 version so I could chill on a couch and play. Took a while to set up hot keys and get used to them but now it's pretty much second nature and I can couch potato the PC version.. There is a controller mod for that game but it changes to a skyrim-ish UI and you can't hotswap..

Oblivion doesn't require snappy aim though, so games like the original COD have been far more challenging. I managed to beat COD 1 on regular difficulty but not without frustration. I have been messing with Diablo 2 and Civ VI but those have been a bit too difficult to play.

Interesting, props to you for actually using it in a few different games. I've just used mine for general browsing at my couch/TV PC when I didn't feel like using my wireless keyboard and mouse, and I've found the touchpad to be pretty comfortable to use for me. But I agree, I'm not sure how exactly that could be improved, but with the innovation of the first Steam controller itself, I have some faith that they can come up with something.

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 9 3900X
CPU COOLER: [Cooler Master] MasterLiquid ML360R
MOTHERBOARD: [Asus] ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi
RAM: [G.Skill] Trident Z 4x8 GB DDR4 3600
SSD/NVME: [Western Digital] Black 512 GB NVMe SSD
SSD/NVME 2: [Team] 4x 1 TB 2.5" SSD
HDD: [Western Digital] Black Series 3 TB HDD
GPU: [EVGA] RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Full Rig Info

Owned

CPU: [AMD] Ryzen 7 3700X