Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, register to take part in our community, don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup.

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

The Extreme HW Game List - 2024 Edition

Go to solution Solved by Slaughtahouse,

image.png.06225850e7c89601a57de266b784c246.png

Hello, and welcome to another thread full of updates and log of all games (within reason...) to be released in 2024!

The goal of the thread is simple:

Consolidate the general discussion and track the releases throughout the year. The previous thread started off a bit rough, but over time, the cadence evened out and it was a bit clearer (to me) how to organize and promote a conversation 🙂 So with that said...

Some basic guidelines:

Spoiler
  1. For starters, since we're predominately a PC crowd here, that will always be the primary focus. However, with so many different games and experiences tied to different platforms, I will keep this thread in Gaming General to avoid isolating the discussion.
  2. I will continue to track, monitor, and update the sheet (Google Sheet) and summarize large changes or updates throughout the year. Mainly when large events occur, titles are released, release dates are announced, or titles are cancelled or pushed. 
  3. If there is a major release and you would like to focus the discussion in another thread, go for it! Example: Starfield from 2023. 
  4. The previous thread and this thread, will also compare all the titles against their Metacritic score.
    1. The objective on this subject is to give you a snapshot or average consensus of any given title tracked.
    2. Metacritic or Opencritic (alternative) aren't objective. It's a summary of subjective opinions so take those scores as a general indicator if you will. I will still continue this approach with this thread and I think Metacritic works better as I can isolate reviews to the platform it was reviewed on. We all know PC gamers get the shaft with ports or other issues and I believe it's important to understand that variances against consoles, especially in context of our PC community.
    3. Since there are so many consoles, I filter in order of system availability, and then popularity, per title. E.g., A game is released on multiple platforms like PC, PS5 (PS), Xbox Series S|X (XB). I will highlight the PC score in "PC Metacritic" column and the PS5 (PS) score exclusively in the "Console Metacritic" column.
    4. However, sometimes there are rare exceptions. E.g., If a title is two separate console systems but predominately the reviews are on the less popular console (50 reviews on Series X vs. 4 on PS5) I will highlight the XB score. Make sense? Good.
  5. I will also, to the best of my ability, identify in a post below all general sales and dates of notable events throughout the year. Summer Game Fest, Gamescom, Tokyo Gameshow, Video Game Awards etc. If I missed anything, flag it, and I will update the post!
  6. Finally, and most importantly, have fun with it. I'll maintain the structure but ultimately, this only works if people participate. Otherwise, I'm just a madman in a corner updating a sheet for no one!

That's it from me. Enjoy and GG!

Edited by Slaughtahouse
  • Respect 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

This is just a reminder that I am working on a sheet. It will be up soon, hopefully by next week. It will be a live-ongoing thing so don't expect all games for 2024 to be there. It's just not possible. I've missed a few updates already this year but I wanted to flag that on Jan 18* there is an Xbox showcase (Developer Direct) and Indiana Jones is expected to be shown alongside other games. See quote below.

Edit: It's also worth noting in 2022, Hi-Fi Rush was announced during developer direct and was a "shadow drop". AKA a game that was released with little to no heads up. It's possible we see another "shadow drop" or alternatively, and what's rumoured, is more updates for Hi-Fi Rush (either being released on platforms or DLC). 

NEWS.XBOX.COM

You’re about to get an exciting look at some of the incredible games ahead with Xbox, as we present a new edition of Developer_Direct on Thursday, January 18.

Fans should tune in on Xbox channels at 12pm PT / 3pm ET / 8pm UK, January 18 to see all the latest on: 

• Indiana Jones game: MachineGames, the award-winning studio behind the recent Wolfenstein series, will reveal their upcoming Indiana Jones game, an action-adventure that puts players in the leather jacket of the legendary archaeologist. Developer_Direct will showcase more than 10 minutes of game and developer insights, including details about the game’s setting and story, how fans will actually play as Indy, additional details from his next globe-trotting adventure, and the premiere of the first gameplay trailer.
  • AvowedThe team at Obsidian will share the first deep dive into the gameplay experience fans can expect in Avowed, their upcoming fantasy action RPG, set in the fantastical, vibrant Living Lands. Learn more about how Obsidian’s expertise in building worlds with deep themes, dynamic gameplay, and thoughtful reactivity come to life in Avowed where players will have agency to make choices to shape every step of their adventure.
  • Ara: History UntoldHear from the leads at Oxide Games – a studio founded by veterans of the strategy genre and the creators behind classic strategy titles including Civilization V – as they unveil exclusive new gameplay and share more details about the inspiration, key features, and road ahead for their upcoming historical grand strategy game.
  • Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II: Ninja Theory take us behind the scenes at their studio in Cambridge to give us some insight on how they are crafting Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II. The team will speak to the ambition and meticulous care involved in creating Senua’s journey of survival.
Edited by Slaughtahouse

Premium Platinum - Lifetime

With reference to a release scheduled later this year, specifically S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl (which I have been looking forward to)... 

...so i feel like i've been growing a third eye in my gut lately (note: it's not a zit--i tried squeezing it, it wouldn't pop); and I've been re-watching the HBO series Chernobyl, which I find fascinating each time I re-watch it; not only because it's very well done, but also because I was actually in the relative vicinity when the reactor blew its top back in 1986 (I was stationed at Leipheim, GE; and lived off-base in a berg called Burgau, GE--see the map that follows below the video).

Anyway, I do recall the neighbors cautioning us about eating things like locally sourced venison and/or locally grown vegetables; and I've always wondered if I'd eventually suffer any ill effects as a result of the incident (like growing a third eye in my gut).

...lastly, a map of where I was when the Cesium 137 was falling out of the sky follows, accompanied by a color coded list of just how much ground level radiation collected in the various areas over the period of the first year following the catastrophe:

chernobyl-may-1986.thumb.png.a82d83b275a84f3102850f343bb4ceda.png

• Respect 1

55 minutes ago, iamjanco said:

With reference to a release scheduled later this year, specifically S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl (which I have been looking forward to)... 

...so i feel like i've been growing a third eye in my gut lately (note: it's not a zit--i tried squeezing it, it wouldn't pop); and I've been re-watching the HBO series Chernobyl, which I find fascinating each time I re-watch it; not only because it's very well done, but also because I was actually in the relative vicinity when the reactor blew its top back in 1986 (I was stationed at Leipheim, GE; and lived off-base in a berg called Burgau, GE--see the map that follows below the video).

Anyway, I do recall the neighbors cautioning us about eating things like locally sourced venison and/or locally grown vegetables; and I've always wondered if I'd eventually suffer any ill effects as a result of the incident (like growing a third eye in my gut).

...lastly, a map of where I was when the Cesium 137 was falling out of the sky follows, accompanied by a color coded list of just how much ground level radiation collected in the various areas over the period of the first year following the catastrophe:

There is an interesting doc, not sure if on a streaming service or youtube, but it went into details how native species within the contamination zone have spread radiation all across Europe. One of the examples was reindeer / deer, which I believe migrate from Ukraine to Finland. Don't quote me on that but the whole story was rather interesting. E.g., 

WWW.WIRED.COM

Long after the radiation that blanketed Europe dispersed, herders in Norway are living with the effects of the worst civilian nuclear disaster in history.

• Agreed 1

Premium Platinum - Lifetime
2 hours ago, Slaughtahouse said:

There is an interesting doc, not sure if on a streaming service or youtube, but it went into details how native species within the contamination zone have spread radiation all across Europe. One of the examples was reindeer / deer, which I believe migrate from Ukraine to Finland. Don't quote me on that but the whole story was rather interesting. E.g., 

WWW.WIRED.COM

Long after the radiation that blanketed Europe dispersed, herders in Norway are living with the effects of the worst civilian nuclear disaster in history.

Yeah, there's plenty of that sort of content available via the 'net.

Edited by iamjanco

2024-01-18 - Xbox Developers Direct

Avowed 

Developer: Obsidian 

Release date:  Fall 2024

Senua's Saga Hellblade II

Developer: Ninja Theory

Release date:  May 21, 2024

Visions of Mana

Developer: Square Enix

Release date:  Summer 2024

Ara: History Untold

Developer: Oxide Games

Release date:  Fall 2024

Indiana Jones and the Great Circle

Developer: MachineGames

Release date:  2024

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/indiana-jones-in-2024-and-everything-else-announced-in-xboxs-developer-direct

Edited by Slaughtahouse

WWW.NVIDIA.COM

Modders: Download the NVIDIA RTX Remix Open Beta to remaster classic games with full ray tracing, DLSS and generative AI tools.

Something a little off the main path... 

2024-01-22 - Update

The list is now live! (second post)

Now it may look sparse but throughout the week(s) it will be filled with content. I tried a new way to embed it into the forum by using the publishing function within Google Sheets. Font doesn't seem to match but it should be easier to navigate. *cracks knuckles* time to get at it 😛

Spoiler

A lot of games still to highlight but so far we have two large releases in 2024.

1. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown. It's been 14 years since the last major Prince of Persia release (2010). Metroidvania / 2D platformer style. Fast paced.

2. Palworld. Openworld Ark survival type game that strangely resembles Pokemon. Sold over 5m copies in 3 days...

A game worth mentioning that will be released in the next ~30 days. Pacific Drive. A "road like", it's a driving-survival game where you traverse the "exclusion zone" in the pacific north west. Looks super fun and creepy at the same time. I intend to buy this at launch (if reviews are good).

Edited by Slaughtahouse
  • Respect 1

2024-01-23 - Update

Reviews are going live for another two major titles (when will the games STAPH?)

• Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth (formally known as the Yakuza series)

• Metacritic score (PC) -> 89% (in progress, subject to change)

• Release date -> January 26, 2024

• Systems -> PC, PS, XB

• Tekken 8

• Metacritic score (PC)-> 93% (in progress, subject to change)

• Release date -> January 26, 2024

• Systems -> PC, PS, XB

Edited by Slaughtahouse
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

2024-01-31 - Sony State of Play

Announcements overview

• Death Stranding 2: On the Beach (2025) 
  • Physint (TBD)
  • Stellar Blade (April 26, 2024)
  • Sonic X Shadow Generations (Fall 2024)
  • Dave the Diver Ft. Godzilla (May 2024)
  • Zenless Zone Zero (2024)
  • Silent Hill: The Short Message (available today)
  • Silent Hill 2 Remake (2024)
  • Judas (TBD)
  • Metro: Awakening VR (2024)
  • Rise of the Ronin (March 22, 2024)
  • Dragon’s Dogma II (March 22, 2024)
  • Until Dawn Remastered (2024)

Source: https://www.polygon.com/2024/1/31/24057143/playstation-sony-state-of-play-ps5-showcase-announcements-trailers

Edited by Slaughtahouse

Thanks @iamjanco - ultimately, I had to redo the post on PC in dark mode to ensure the font colour was showing up correctly. For some reason, text (colour) kept defaulting to that grey. Likely due to a formatting issue when I copied / pasted some of the titles of games from another article. 

Edited by Slaughtahouse
  • Respect 1

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Steam Next Fest is a week-long celebration featuring hundreds of FREE playable demos as well as...

Heads up that the latest NEXT FEST is live. 

Edit: Homeworld 3 and Pacific Drive both have demos, including hundreds of others. Highlighting those two as I feel both games have a strong chance of being very good 🙂

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Tactical, beautiful, and wholly unique, the GOTY-winning sci-fi RTS returns with Homeworld 3. Assume control and battle through fleet combat in dazzling, fully 3D space while the award-winning story...
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Face the supernatural dangers of the Olympic Exclusion Zone with a car as your only lifeline in this driving survival adventure! Scavenge resources, load up your trusty station wagon, and drive like hell to...

Edited by Slaughtahouse

2024-02-07 - February Update

The list is pretty much up to date with any large or notable title that has a date in 2024. If you go into the DATA tab, you'll see I have about 30-40 more titles ear marked for 2024. Once the exact date is defined, you'll see it come up in the Pivot Tables (PC, Console tabs). 

I'm going to try and work on a Google Sheet schedule (third post) to highlight any major events or sales throughout the year. Still playing with it so consider it a draft / constant work in progress. If you know of a title that you don't see on the list that is expected to be released in 2024, post here and let me know 🙂

In terms of upcoming notable releases for February, here's what to watch out for:

As a reminder, this list is not exhaustive for ALL titles in 2024. Links above or in the sheet will prioritize Steam where possible. 

Quick heads up that Steam and GreenManGaming has Armored Core VI on sale which is the first time it's dropped in price since release. It didn't drop in price during the Black Friday or Winter sales in 2023 for context. Various other retailers are doing larger sales for both lunar new year (year of the dragon btw) or valentine's day. Including larger publisher sales like Rockstar and Bandai Namco (Steam) or ABK on Battle . net. 

Keep those Wishlist's up to date people 🙂

WWW.GREENMANGAMING.COM

Pick up your ARMORED CORE VI FIRES OF RUBICON PC copy from Green Man Gaming today and remember to sign in for our best price

• Thanks 1

2024-02-21 - Updates

I'll work on plugging the announcements and release dates into the sheet as well, I'll summarize the announcements here later in the week* (Edit: So many announcements, need moar time 🙂

WWW.NINTENDO.COM

A Nintendo Direct: Partner Showcase is here! Tune in for around 25 minutes of information focused on games coming to the Nintendo Switch system in the first half of 2024 from our publishing and...
WWW.POLYGON.COM

Rise, Tarnished... and reinstall Elden Ring
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Hi-Fi Rush, Grounded, Pentiment, and Sea of Thieves are going multiplatform.
NEWS.XBOX.COM

Critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV Online has officially launched into Open Beta on Xbox Series X|S!

Edited by Slaughtahouse

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

2024-03-06  Ghosts of Tsushima PC announcement 

I'm still behind on updating the sheet and announcements but this is a big one. Long rumoured and finally happening!

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/03/06/ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-is-coming-to-pc-on-may-16/

4aa5c5398f179011594ba31564da80250dd35dc2

Edited by Slaughtahouse

Posted (edited)

Less about updates, more just an opinion piece.

Buy Balatro if you enjoy card games. 

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The poker roguelike. Balatro is a hypnotically satisfying deckbuilder where you play illegal poker...

I picked this up last week, just to look for a quick pick me up. Found it hard to get focused in Alan Wake and my backlog was giving me anxiety.

I’m over 10 hrs in and easily, this could be potentially one of the best indie games of the year. 

The concept is pretty simple, the rules are bit complex to explain, but when you get into the action, it all just clicks.

Your goal is simple: Build a deck to get the highest chip count during a round. Chips are result of all of the chip values of your hands (full house, straight, flush, two pair etc.) as well as your multiplier.

You find various upgrades that can either modify cards in your deck to increase chip value per card or mult factors. Additionally you can level up the efficacy of your hands. E.g., level 2  full house bumps chip values and increases mult by X factor. 

What really makes it fun is watching all these modifiers work together. Special jokers, tarot cards, upgraded hands, modified cards like glass or steel… 

Layer on all the screen popping effects, sound effects, and challenges (boss blinds debuffing you), it gets super addictive. 

A game can last anywhere from 5mns to an hour or more. Really easy to pick up and play. Highly recommended on a mobile device. Playing on Switch.

10/10 

Edited by Slaughtahouse
  • Agreed 1

2024-03-12 - March Update

Quite a bit behind schedule. Work, personal, as well just hard to keep up with all the announcements. Below is a quick excerpt from the latest version of sheet, highlighting releases for March. Trying to do a copy - paste from the sheet so hopefully it's formatted well. No controls available within this post editor unfortunately to adjust column width etc.

It's also worth noting some games may have already been released on other platforms but are now they're being ported to other consoles. E.g., Hi-Fi Rush. The list from 2023 will have it's original release date (January 29th). 

Title Name

System

Release Date

The Thaumaturge

PC, PS, XB

March 4, 2024
The Outlast Trials PC, PS, XB March 5, 2024
Hi-Fi Rush PC, PS, XB March 19, 2024
Contra: Operation Galuga PC, PS, XB, NS March 12, 2024
STAR WARS™: Battlefront Classic Collection PC, PS, XB, NS March 14, 2024
Alone in the Dark PC, PS, XB March 20, 2024
Horizon Forbidden West™ Complete Edition PC, PS March 21, 2024
Dragon’s Dogma II PC, PS, XB March 22, 2024
Princess Peach: Showtime! NS March 22, 2024
Rise of the Rōnin PS March 22, 2024
Prison Architect 2 PC, PS, XB March 26, 2024
South Park: Snow Day! PC, PS, XB, NS March 26, 2024
Pepper Grinder PC, NS March 28, 2024

Beyond that, I'm still plugging away updates in the google sheet, and Metacritic scores should be up to date (+/- 1%) for any released title in 2024.

I think Dragon's Dogma II is the game to watch out for this month but I know personally, I won't be able to touch it for quite a while. There is a character creator (demo) that was released last week. Give it a go!

Posted (edited)
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

The Steam Spring Sale is on now — find great deals on thousands of games! Plus claim a daily sticker on category pages.

Steam Spring is now live! 

GoG has some decent sales, including Blasphemous 2 at 40% off and God of War (2018) now available on GoG and 50% off. Easily one the best games and DRM free? OOOO baby

WWW.GOG.COM

Enter the Norse realm His vengeance against the Gods of Olympus years behind him, Krato
WWW.GOG.COM

The second scripture in the Blasphemous series portends the return of The Penitent One, w

Edited by Slaughtahouse

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

2024-03-22 - Release Update

Heads up that today marks a unique milestone. It's that time where large corporate developers release their final title to boost their FY results XD. So with that said....

Alone in the Dark PC, PS, XB March 20, 2024
Horizon Forbidden West™ Complete Edition PC, PS March 21, 2024
Dragon’s Dogma II PC, PS, XB March 22, 2024
Princess Peach: Showtime! NS March 22, 2024
Rise of the Rōnin PS March 22, 2024

Quick notes:

• Alone in the Dark is hovering around high 60's on Metacritic. Not great but it's fairly affordable on GMG, doesn't have DRM, and heard it's actually quite fun from friends.
  • Horizon Forbidden West is looking like an excellent port on PC.
  • Dragon's Dogma II is reviewing exceedingly well, high 80's, but also has quite a few technical issues, predominately CPU limited
  • Sheet will be updated before end of day. Updated*
Edited by Slaughtahouse